Ladybug313

Hi, what is the best spf level to use in sunblock to get good coverage but also not COMPLETELY block the sun from tanning your skin? ( I know I know, the sun is bad for you anyway but still..)

I think 15 is too low, but over 45 too high? Should I do 30?

I just want to be safe when I am doing stuff outside but I kind of want to get some color too...

thanks!

So much of what you ask depends on your skin type and how much exposure you've had to the sun previously. It also depends on just how long you expect to spend outside. If this is you've exposed your body to the sun in a while, use a 20 and apply it generously. See what happens.

A 15 is NOT too low...it will block most of the sun. A 45 is a complete block...and will be very oily as well. Once you are accustomed to being in the sun move on down.

Again, depending on your skin, lots of people tan great with a 4 and don't tan at all with a 15. You'll just have to experiment. Be sure to apply the sunblock generously on your feet, behind your neck and behind your knees as these areas are very susceptible to burning.

If you start feeling that you are getting burned, move out of the sun and go for more block. But I don't think you will have that problem.

Definitely use 45 on your face and wear a hat with a brim whenever you can to protect your face. (Use bronzing cream or powder if you want some color on your face.) I know this sounds like a pain, and I know you want that natural sunkissed look, but you will be so thankful you did when you get older. Sun causes wrinkles!

I usually use 15 on my body, sometimes 30 at the beginning of the season. Like Tony said, start higher and work your way down.

Originally posted by Tony

A 15 is NOT too low...it will block most of the sun. A 45 is a complete block...and will be very oily as well. Once you are accustomed to being in the sun move on down.

SPF, or "sun protection factor" refers to the amount of time the product will protect you from ultraviolet rays. It has nothing to do with the strength of the product per se, but rather how long it will be effective.

Very generally speaking, the SPF number multiplied by your Minimal Erythemal Dose (roughly, the amount of UV radiation exposure before your skin turns pink when exposed to sunlight) will give you the amount of time the particular sunscreen will protect against UV rays. For example, if your MED is reached in 8 minutes and you're using a sunblock with an SPF of 15, you will be protected for approximately 120 minutes of UV radiation. This all varies greatly depending on the level of UV radiation in your area on a particular day, your skin color, previous exposure, and other factors.

If you start feeling that you are getting burned, move out of the sun and go for more block. But I don't think you will have that problem.

Sunblock needs to be absorbed into the skin before it will be effective. It should be applied out of the sun and given sufficient time to absorb into the skin. The SPF you choose to apply should be made based on the amount of time you anticipate spending outdoors.

Tanning is never safe, regardless of what you lather on your skin, however using sunblock will help reduce the risk of cancer.

Best wishes,

Paul