comparing myself: good/bad?

I have been thinking lately and found out that I compare myself to other girls alot. I wouldn't say constantly, but maybe alot, I wouldn't know.

For example, at work (I work part time at a clothing store with other girls) I compare myself physically, mentally and by success in life. If I don't measure up, or are not as good as the other girls, I try to make myself be on par, or better than them. Like, if a girl has a very cute outfit one day, I would try very hard the next day to dress cuter to prove to myself that I have the skill of looking cute also. Or, if a girl says that her boyfriend bought her a necklace, I say that's great to her, but in my mind, I try to think of all the things my boyfriend has given me to make sure that he is as giving as her boyfriend.

Sometimes I feel like I'm going too far. There is this girl from high school who I used to be very jealous of because she was so pretty (the story is more complex than that, but let's leave it as that for now). Well, I recently found out (from a friend) that she has her own website and I checked it out and it turns out that she's trying to be a model of some sort and shows all these different pictures of her at car shows showing off her great body. I check it about once a week (since then, about a month ago) to look at any new pictures, but mostly to make sure that she's not really as pretty as I make her out to be in my head.

I don't think I'm super insecure because I recognize the fact that I am successful and cute and fun and smart, and all that, but sometimes maybe I think it's not enough.

Trust me, I try so hard not to visit the site, but it's so darn tempting!!! Is this normal or am I insecure do you think? Ugh, I'm just so disgusted with myself whenever I compare myself to other girls, like I'm putting myself or others down or something,

Go here and read the second paragraph of this classic, Desiderata: http://www.ameritech.net/users/macler/desiderata.html After you read the second paragraph, go back to the top and read the whole thing...it'll be good for you.

God Bless You and stop comparing yourself to other people...it's a total waste of time. There has never been nor will there ever be another person just like you. You have no competition whatsoever.

I hope you enjoy Desiderata. Print it out and carry it with you. Read it twice a day.

I've had my down times after obsessively comparing myself to others. It just doesn't do you any good, believe me!

But, I think it's fine to look at what you like about others, and strive for that - not because you want to be BETTER than them, but simply because you want to be a certain way (e.g. somebody is educated better. it's a good motivation to have in front of you, but you're getting educated not because of competition, but because you want to).

-yes

jessicakicksbut

I agree with others that you should strive for what you like about others, but I also believe it is important to find your own niche in life, and to be more concerned with knowing yourself than comparing yourself.