Hi.Just about every night I go through a scary episode of different types of shaking.And I know its really happening.I looked up on http://www.google.com about seizures to see if they were hedritary or however the word is spelled.Anyways it says that seizures can come at anytime in life.Some of the things I read was a person becomes unconscious and doesnt remember them afterwards.I don't know whether or not I have seizures but I think I do.Every night I wake up and either my head will shake for about 10 seconds or that my leg or arm will shake together with my head.It usually wakes me up aand is quite scary.

Ever since I took this medicine called Amitriptyline I noticed it makes 1 or more parts of my body jerk several times in the night.

Anyones opinions or advice on this is appreciated.Thanks.

Patty

Patty: I think you need, you MUST, it is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY, you need to see a doctor IMMEDIATELY if you even slightly suspect you have had seizures.

It is NEVER, EVER, EVER a good idea to try to diagnose yourself over the Internet. You do not have the medical training or background to understand all the dynamics of this very critical problem.

If you are having seizures, they can have many causes...some of them FATAL. Seizures can also cause DEATH if you are walking across the street, driving an automobile, or doing anything that requires your total and constant attention when you have one.

See a doctor immediately even if there is only a one-percent chance that you are experiencing seizures. Don't plays games with your life over the Internet.

Let us know what the doctor says, PLEASE!!!

I have a very very rare condition. I will tell you that what you are experiencing doesn't sound like a seizure at all. Those are horribly painful and they will do different things to different people. I've only really had one b/c I WONT let it happen again (it can be stopped), but I know how to recreate it. For me it's caused by blood loss, and or shots (if sitting up). For me, my neck kind of snapped back into the wall after the normal extremely painful tense up.

Right before all this... dizzyness (and I mean DIZZYNESS), loss of hearing, loss of sight, and extreme pain occur.

Now I make sure to lay down when I get blood taken, and/or shots.

What you are experiencing sounds like muscle spasms.

Talk to the doctor though, it could be so many things!

I am not criticizing you, Bill, and you were very kind to offer what you did.

I just want to point out the extreme dangers of symptom swapping, either on the net or in person.

Notice, Patty wrote: "Some of the things I read was a person becomes unconscious and doesnt remember them afterwards. I don't know whether or not I have seizures but I think I do."

This sentence indicates that she knows that people having seizures become unconscious and don't remember being so afterwards. Then she says very clearly that she thinks she does have seizures. To most people, this sentence would indicate that she thinks she goes unconscious and doesn't remember doing so afterwards.

This lady needs a doctor's attention on an emergency basis. I think it would be very dangerous for her to listen to anything else. I'm very glad you suggested in your last sentence that she talk to her doctor.

Again, this is not a criticism of you or your post...but this could very well be an emergency situation and I don't think it's good for either of us to interfere in any way with Patty seeking help NOW!!!

Many thanks for your understanding.

Tony Read my post again

and they will do different things to different people.

:) Thanks :)

See a Doctor Patty.

• Author

Thanks very much for the replies.I will tell my nearologist when I see him my next visit..He was having me keep a diary of how often I get migraines but I think Ill add to my diary that Im experiencing what I think to be seizures.Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Patty

HokeyReligions

Hi Patty - it does sound scary and I'm glad you are seeing a doctor. You sound like you may associate this uncontrolled physical activity with a drug - and it could be a side-effect of that, but it's like Tony said - it can't be diagnosed over the 'net.

I associate seizures with epilepsy or other brain injuries and dysfunction. My husband has a twitching like you described and sometimes it will last for several hours - a few twiches for a few seconds maybe a dozen times over 4 or 5 hours. Not constant twitching and it's not a seizure. It started in his knee after his knee replacement surgery and that was expected as the nerve endings repair themselves. Now it is in his head and shoulders. He is going for a catscan next week. The doctors said it could be anything from a mild side-effect of the drugs he takes for his knee or for his diabetes, to early on-set Parkinsons.

Don't mess around with it and come back and let us know how how are.

Hi Patty,

I have a family member that has had 2 grand mal seizures. I saw one of them and decided to get as much info as possible.

There are so many different types, not all of them do you loose conciousness... some are just the jerking of limbs... I would strongly suggest talking to your neuro...

If you can, it may be helpful to note down things when it happens, like how long it lasts, which limb started jerking first, did it spread to another limb... note down anything you can to tell your neuro. or Dr.

I would not wait to call your Dr. as this could just be an early sign of something waiting to get worse.

Here is a link to a message board for epilepisy. You don't have to have Epelipsy to go here and post, or read... but please call your Dr.

My bro is on anti convulsants (he does not have epilipsy) and he's not had another seizure for a few months. I can only imagine how scary this is... please check out the link as well as call your Dr. or Neuro pronto!

http://www.efa.org/blurt/mboards.html