How do I get rid of clutter.Its driving me nuts. I have a problem too.I buy to much stuff.But,Im going nuts not knowing where to put everything.I have a tower for my cd's but I got hardly any storage space,plus the computer games.My video tapes are scattered all around my room.My closet is over stuffed with clothes I buy.Everytime I see a new thing ,I got to buy it and try it.I got so many books that I dont know what to do with.I just bought a DVD player and now I got think where I can put my DVD's. I also have tons of paper too and feel like I have to keep it if I have nothing written on it.I just cant stand this.

Opinions,please!

thanks

Patty

it's easy to get into a pack-rat mentality, isn't it? And it usually seems to affect those of us who don't have the space to house the stuff, lol.

I've got two rules to keep my pack-rattiness in check:

1. I may want this particular item, but do I need it? I mean, really, really need it? Yes? Then how badly do I need to spend my money on this item when I could pay bills with that money?

2. After I've bought something, I give it six months to prove itself useful. Otherwise, it gets traded in, passed on, donated or sold.

they aren't fool-proof plans, but it helps cut down on the clutter.

there is nothing wrong with treating yourself to something nice, keeping your wardrobe up to date, when there's not a whole lot going on in your life.

i like to reward myself that way. some people like facials and pedicures ---- i like to buy things that are not too expensive. i deserve it, so i will have it.

• Author

Thanks.I love to treat myself,but I think I'll cut down on my spending.That way I wont be able to buy to much to stuff and over stuff my room.I just broke down and cried tonight cause its hard living like this and I stopped and think where should I put everything and there was no place to put it so I just broke down and cried.I started bringing stuff down to the basement.So its a start.lol

Patty

I was referring more to the needless buying of objects you can do with out, rather than to buying something nice for yourself or something you could use around the house. For example, I just LOVE going to flea markets and thrift stores and picking up jars. Yep, Mason jars -- the older the better. But it drives my husband crazy, even though he knows I use them for storage, for decoration, even for holding candles. So when I get to that point where I see something I want (like those stupid jars), but don't necessarily need, I have the "do I really need it" talk with myself. And if I do end up toting stuff like that home, then I get rid of stuff that I no longer use. Maybe that's rationalizing my purchase, but it helps to keep my pack-rattiness down.

Spending money on needless objects is a very serious addiction and is often hard to control. Most people who do this come from highly dysfunctional families and spending money and accumulating useless crap is a way of coping with depression and other emotions.

There are many people who buy clothes they never wear, compact discs they never listen to, books they never read, etc. They subscribe endlessly to newsletters, magazines, or anything they can that may be free and let them pile up here and there all over their house.

The accumulation of crap around the house further depresses them but they have extreme difficulty with turning things loose even though they know for sure they don't need them.

This spendaholic mentality is extremely serious, as I have pointed out, and needs treatment. Working on other issues connected with your childhood, etc., should go a long way to helping you out.

You will find that the less cluttered your environment is, the more clear-minded you will be and happier. What the exterior of your life looks like is always a good indication of what's going on in the interior of your mind. Clear your brain of clutter, want, need, etc. and your whole world will improve.

shopping is a problem if you are not able to pay your bills, are taking out second mortgages to pay the bills, if you run out of space, if you are compulsive about it.

men, as a general rule, don't seem to shop as often as women. so tony, while i appreciate your feedback, you might just be a little extreme in your response. people that enjoy shopping don't necessarily have to be commited to a psychiatric hospital. why don't you just take it for what it is. different people have different ways of treating themselves. your way is not necessarily the RIGHT way. there is no right way. my house is so uncluttered that, in the past, my friends always commented on how i had too much space between furnishings. my cd's always get listened to, all my books get read, whatever clothes i don't wear gets donated. my credit is perfect. i never miss a bill or have revolving debt. i don't buy large expensive purchases for the hell of it. i don't piss my money away on liquor, going out to expensive dinners, etc. and, all of my home decorating items are out/up and being displayed. But, if i want a new pair of bone pumps, i'm gonna buy it.

i can't tell you how many women i see everyday that are addicted to the "spa". every week they are in there with facials, manicures, pedicures, sea salt scrubs, massages, etc. and that is not cheap. i would rather give myself a pedicure at home and spend the $40 on two cd's. but i don't judge them. i find that the people who are most judgemental are living in glass houses while they throw stones at others.

but, everyone has their priorities. i know of a couple where the woman was compulsive about renovating the kitchen. it HAD to be like a restaurant kitchen: the dual ovens, the european cabinets, freezers, granite counter tops, etc. BUT, when the husband got all excited about installing a new stereo system, she felt that the expense was friviolous. she needed to be reminded that his stereo system was just as important to him, as her kitchen was to her (and cost alot less too).

so, there are different types of spending fools. i stand by my previous post. there's nothing wrong with being good to yourself.