hey everyone!

i was just wondering what people out there use to stabilize and balance themselves, mentally. I find that i'm very sensitive, and little things easily knock me out of balance, even while i rationally understand that they're not worth it. it takes me a good night's sleep to get over it, unless smth happens and balances it out.

the things that throw me off balance? - unexpected criticism, uncomfortable situations, prolonged inactivity (i go nuts if i stay at home for over two days in a row)

so ... what works for u?

-yes

First, meditation is good to learn and has a great balancing effect. Any type of relaxation, Yoga or exercise will have a calming effect. The endorphins (chemicals) secreted into your brain as a result of moderate to heavy exercise can give you a great sense of wellbeing.

But all the meditation, relaxation and exercise in the world won't help if you don't make a conscious effort not to let things bother you. Statements and actions of other people have no power over you whatsoever unless you allow them to.

Read some books by Albert Ellis and learn his REM (Rational Emotive Therapy) approach to living and nothing will ever bother you. You can order his books over the Internet.

Actions or inactions of other people do not cause you to be upset. How you interpret or process what you observe and the decisions you make on how to react is what counts here. YOU are the one who decides you are going to be upset....or remain calm and unaffected.

If you are sane and rational, you will decide to make yourself feel as good as possible about what crazy people do around you.

A lot of people live their entire lives and die thinking it was other people who made the angry, jealous, depressed, anxious, fearful, etc. when all the while they were doing it to THEMSELVES!!!

• Author

I did recently read a book of his (on anxiety)... and perhaps i misunderstood his methods but ... every time i'm bothered by something, his drill of "it doesn't HAVE to be my way, i only PREFER it this way, and its not the end of anything if it doesnt happen my way, etc" didn't rlly work... it stayed in the rational part of my mind, and i was still feeling anxious.

he gives very good reasons for anxiety - like constant self-evaluation, but it's a life-long habit, and so far i've had no luck breaking it. i suppose it's a lengthy process though.

perhaps i should look at his other books... - maybe i'm just not comprehending his ideas.

-yes

Talk to your Primary Care Physician and tell him about your problems with anxiety. Sometimes problems go deeper than excercises. There are some REALLY good medications out there that will help you and make you feel "normal."

The major misunderstanding is that they sedate you or make you numb to the world. That is NOT the case, and if it is the case, you need to see your doctor again and get him to put you on something that works! 90% of the people in society (if not more) could use some form of medication, although most can get buy without it...sometimes things happen in their lives that will trigger that and make them over-responsive. That's when medication is needed.

Talking to your doctor can't hurt. Keep reading those books, and I think that will be a great combination. But like I said, only your doctor would know. That's why it's important to talk to them. You aren't going to tell him anything he hasn't heard already.

I get anxiety too. If I push myself to do the things that cause me anxiety, then I usually am fine and feel much more comfortable if the situation arises again. Tackle one thing at a time. There is a book called "Painfully Shy" that has some good ideas in it. I can't remember the author.

• Author

thanks for your ideas.

i was just having a very stressful week - arguments at home, an exam, bad marks on stuff i thought i did well on, contact with ex's, unexpected criticism all around ... yikes! just too much at once.

it's all better now (i hope).

i will check out these books, btw.

as for the doctor - i'll do that if it gets worse... =)

thanks again

-yes

• 4 weeks later...

i understand what you are going through yes..my type of anxiety is to the point to where i cant even leave because it seems like everyone is against me. I have tons and tons of friends, but lately been drinking on the weekends with my friends and not able to handle it to where i black out and stuff, and im dealing with friends, home, finances, getting out of the service for medical reasons, and my own personal life. im not a big drinker but have been drinking more than i should. I know things will change within a week and i cant wait so i can get out of here and the lifestyle that i have now. sometimes its hard to juggle it all. I was just in the hospital for a week for a nervous breakdown not to long ago and ppl look down on you for that to especially when you are in the medical field, but you realize who your friends are real fast. there is some medications out there but alot of them get abused. And if even someone is taken some sometimes its hard to ween them off of them because they can get addicting. Not saying all of them though..but it felt good to vent anyhow..

• Author

i find that getting enough sleep is very important. when u dont get enough, you're more irritable, frustrated, anxious...

a good night's sleep can cure lotsa things... so listen to those tips like cool air in the room and no heavy meals before sleep! good sleep is worth it!

good night ;P

I think everyone knows what it takes to be healthy and its staying healthy thats hard to do.

Staying mentally healthy I believe is easy but your body may not alway agree. Like when angry you feel a volcanic eruption on the brink from the pit of your stomach, or butterfly's on your first date with someone. It all can be controlled through the mind.

There must be so many levels of consciousness the mind can take you but only a certain number that you've gotten used to from the time your were an infant child. Those that you are used to a pretty much programmed in you forever. Than when becoming an age where you are aware of the many states or levels of consciousness you can experiment with them. It only takes a thought, its up to you to carry it out.

Am I making any sense?