need new passions / am i depressed?

wisebutnotperfect

I'm about a year and 1/2 past the end of my 2nd. marriage.. 49 yrs old and doing marginally well financially. I have 2 great sons, my youngest spends 12 days per month with me.

After spending this time regrouping, changing jobs, building a new living space etc. It seems that I'm having a hard time getting myself motivated to really move forward like I used to. I had some passions in my life that I allowed to be squelched in my previous life and I really feel like I need a new passion in my life. I have even considered going to college and obtaining the degree that I never got. I would love to be helping children in some way, counseling etc.

My job now is relatively unfulfilling. Maybe what I am feeling is that I just need to rest, regroup and find a new path in to my new life. I have just never been the type to just sit back.. this is why I worry about myself and wonder if it isn't depression. Any feedback? thx..

Find something that will make you passionate about ...

I am in the same situation right now ...

have been losing something very important in my life ..

and cant do anything .. it was never mine ... but it was my soul .

• Author
wisebutnotperfect

It does seem like this last relationship did cost me some of my youthful soul and has made me more cynical about people and life in general.

I'm about a year and 1/2 past the end of my 2nd. marriage.. 49 yrs old and doing marginally well financially. I had some passions in my life that I allowed to be squelched in my previous life

Could you not revive them?

TYruly, it's never too late, you know.....

and I really feel like I need a new passion in my life. I have even considered going to college and obtaining the degree that I never got. I would love to be helping children in some way, counseling etc.

A friend of mine's redundancy presented her with the fantstic opportunity of changing direction.

Go for it! (No, I know you're not redundant, but we all pass the time regretting things we DIDN'T do....)

.. this is why I worry about myself and wonder if it isn't depression. Any feedback? thx..

Well, it certainly might be, but the fact that you recognise it, and know you must deal with it, as it is alien, is, I think, definitely a point in your favour.

So I don't think, provided you tackle it head-on now, that it is debilitating or impeding.

Look upon it as a minor emotional....detour.

Accept that things are as they are.

(Sounds mildly ridiculous, but) "Surrender" your state, and trust that you have the common sense, intelligence, intellect and know-how to find your way again.

Come on, tell us....What really grips you right now?

• Author
wisebutnotperfect

What really is gripping me right now is this large sense that I need a physical and emotional rest. I have thought about many new things.. a restaurant, poetry, calligraphy, water color painting, volunteer work.. One of the problems is that I do have quiete a few projects to finish up before I feel like I can really make a major move forward. I am the type of person who needs to tie up most of my loose ends before I move forward with large new ventures. When I meditate and listen to my heart I recognize a need to take time to regroup spiritually and emotionally. Part of my consternation is from the recognition that I am close to 50 and don't have the luxury of time that I have had.

Bewelsheet.

I'm 52 and about to embark on a new career.

Secondly, my mother went back to university at both age 48 and 55 and took a three -year reflexology course after that, and now has so many differing qualifications under her belt she leaves me reeling.

You remind me of the ol' lady, who leaps off her death-bed yelling -

"Die - ?! I don't have time to die! there's so much I still have to learn!"

'We can't have everything. Where would we put it?' Can also be transcribed to read - 'We can't do everything - When would we do it?'

Prioritise.

Give yourself a time frame to accomplish that which you feel you must do, then ask yourself - "How important is this compared to - or even for - my personal health, well-being and peace of mind?"

You may want to finsih tasks simply because you think you should, but upon analysis, they may not even be that big a deal.

learn where you need to get a grip.

And learn where you can let go.

And do accordingly.