how much attn do u think dreams deserve?

Hi

I often have strange dreams ... the ones that I usually wonder if they mean something are nightmares (like dreams of being followed or raped) or being with some guy (sexually, but not having sex, usually).

My question is - do they mean anything?? Is it some kind of subconscious fears and desires coming out (yes, im slightly freud-brainwashed :) ) ? should i just ignore them?... how much importance & attention do u give to your dreams?

thanks,

yes

Many psychologists swear by dreams...others pay little attention.

But I think everything in life has a purpose and dreams are a significant part of our lives. Exactly the part they play is very subjective. It would be virtually impossible to objectively interpret a dream because they are, in a manner of speaking, art created by the mind. They are an abstract composite of what some part of our psyche fears, loves, enjoys, wants to happen, predicts, or wants to entertain us.

Some people have precognitive dreams in which they are given lottery numbers, see the face of the person they are going to marry, or see some other event that will soon take place.

Some people have dreams which are suggestive of actions they must take in their lives.

I wouldn't bust my chops trying to figure them out. When you are awake and totally with your senses, take each problem you have and solve it irrespective of what you may have dreamed.

If you get some very good advice in a dream and you agree with it when you have all your wits about you, by all means take advantage.

Most people whose lives are stable and contented seem to have normal dreams without the nightmarish, chaotic qualities. If you're having nightmares and other unpleasant dreams at night, work hard to get your daylife in order.

I have strange dreams, too. Nightmares...disappointments. The other night I dreamed I was Dolly Parton's baby...and they had to put me on a formula.

I have strange dreams, too. Nightmares...disappointments. The other night I dreamed I was Dolly Parton's baby...and they had to put me on a formula.

ROFLMAO: THAT WAS HILARIOUS TONY!

I wouldn't put too much stock in using your dreams as a guide for living, or for fortelling the future.

Dreams, while they can seem pertinent, are merely a mechanism for the brain to recharge and to stash short-term memories into long-term memory.

Think of them as a diagnostic check of your consciousness.

When you fall asleep everything in your body shuts down except the brain & heart. I think during the sleep process your mind & body can reach these "unexplained" places that we hear about on tv,radio,internet,ect... because were open to it.

We become more open to except these supernatural experiences. I have came up with scientifc formulas in a dream and wish to gosh that I had wrote it down when I woke the following morning. I could be a multi-millionare!!

I enjoy nightmares! I like the ones, where I wake up in a sweat. I think DAMN that was GREAT!!!

I think sometimes what appears in dreams is just imaginative, but than other times I think there is something very real and powerful within all of us that has the power to take us for a ride when were asleep, to accept what we fear to accept.

I wouldn't put too much stock in using your dreams as a guide for living, or for fortelling the future. Dreams, while they can seem pertinent, are merely a mechanism for the brain to recharge and to stash short-term memories into long-term memory.

Think of them as a diagnostic check of your consciousness.

• Author

u enjoy nightmares that make u wake up in sweat and fever? kinda funny. do u ever get scared and have to go turn on the lights, once u'r awake?

about scientific formulas - that's interesting. my ex solved a lot of math problems in his sleep - it seemed like his brain kept working on them while he slept. and he actually remmebered the solutions when he woke up ...

i dont use dreams as directives for my real life, but i do think there's stuff to be learned from them - i think i can learn things about myself from them - my true self ... But sometimes it seems just a side-effect of re-processing info - stuff from the day b4 simply gets mixed up in one screwed-up story ...

dreams r cool. i love it when i remember some of them in the morning.

-yes

I can have a bad dream and know that I'm dreaming, wake myself up and than fall back asleep into the same dream over and over again.

However when I'm stressed, I find myself sleepwalking.

That I dont enjoy. I have gone to bed, and a couple times recently, wake up in another part of the house. I dont recall how I ended moving from bed.

I can recall having dreams that come true, later down the road. I had a dream of my parents house before they moved into it. The exterior of it, and parts of the interior.

Another dream where I was seeing a man that was from a different culture. In the dream I didnt find him attractive. I woke up thinking, I'm glad that was a dream!

Well, about two years later I meet him. I was a few months into our engagment when I remembered by dream. Needless to say, I was attracted to the real one! We were engaged for four years.

u enjoy nightmares that make u wake up in sweat and fever? kinda funny. do u ever get scared and have to go turn on the lights, once u'r awake?

about scientific formulas - that's interesting. my ex solved a lot of math problems in his sleep - it seemed like his brain kept working on them while he slept. and he actually remmebered the solutions when he woke up ... i dont use dreams as directives for my real life, but i do think there's stuff to be learned from them - i think i can learn things about myself from them - my true self ... But sometimes it seems just a side-effect of re-processing info - stuff from the day b4 simply gets mixed up in one screwed-up story ... dreams r cool. i love it when i remember some of them in the morning. -yes

You said your ex. solves math problems and would dream about numbers. I did too at one time. I worked for a gambling ship in Miami for a couple years. I would fall asleep at night and wake up the next day felling that I didnt get any sleep because I was constantly adding numbers in my head. Not only adding numbers, but I would see them.

The numbers were alomost floating in the air and had different sizes and colors. They kept changing. And I was calculating all that I could as fast as I could.

• Author

Oh my god! Sleepwalking like that? Seeing your future in your dreams? There's definitely something in dreams ..... something more than just a side-effect of information processing ...

i'm off to sleep now .... sweet dreams :)

I can have a bad dream and know that I'm dreaming, wake myself up and than fall back asleep into the same dream over and over again. However when I'm stressed, I find myself sleepwalking. That I dont enjoy. I have gone to bed, and a couple times recently, wake up in another part of the house. I dont recall how I ended moving from bed. I can recall having dreams that come true, later down the road. I had a dream of my parents house before they moved into it. The exterior of it, and parts of the interior. Another dream where I was seeing a man that was from a different culture. In the dream I didnt find him attractive. I woke up thinking, I'm glad that was a dream! Well, about two years later I meet him. I was a few months into our engagment when I remembered by dream. Needless to say, I was attracted to the real one! We were engaged for four years.

• Author

PS

I'll take some self-defense in the summer, and prolly get a keychain knife ... (pepper spray is a bit much, to my mind)... i'll let you know of anything interesting i learn :)

-sleepy yes

Oh my god! Sleepwalking like that? Seeing your future in your dreams? There's definitely something in dreams ..... something more than just a side-effect of information processing ...

i'm off to sleep now .... sweet dreams :)

sorry, had a comment for this one.

you said that pepper spray is a bit too much, so you'd rather plunge a KNIFE into someone?? also, keep in mind, a knife won't work from 15-20 feet -- they've gotta be RIGHT THERE!!

PS I'll take some self-defense in the summer, and prolly get a keychain knife ... (pepper spray is a bit much, to my mind)... i'll let you know of anything interesting i learn :) -sleepy yes
  • Author

Good point... I'm not sure - i'd always rather use my bare hands n feet ... maybe ill get a pepper spray after all... thank for your comment :)

sorry, had a comment for this one. you said that pepper spray is a bit too much, so you'd rather plunge a KNIFE into someone?? also, keep in mind, a knife won't work from 15-20 feet -- they've gotta be RIGHT THERE!!