LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Still Jobless...

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Old 13th August 2008, 1:26 PM   #1
Established Member

Unhappy Still Jobless...

It's been about 5 months now, and I still don't have a job! Not that I'm not trying to get one, but I'm getting really sick of getting nothing and nowhere!
Is anyone else out in LS land going through this too?

O' Lord! What is I's gon do!??
brothermartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 3:04 PM   #2

I'm sorry. Are you willing to take a job which is below your education level?
almost famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 3:11 PM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost famous View Post
I'm sorry. Are you willing to take a job which is below your education level?
Every job I've had has been below my educational level, so yes. TAKING the job isn't the problem, GETTING the job is my problem.
brothermartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 6:56 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermartin View Post
Every job I've had has been below my educational level, so yes. TAKING the job isn't the problem, GETTING the job is my problem.
If you're desperate, call centres/telemarketing will hire ANYBODY. You're just not guaranteed to get paid unless you complete training (which usually involves selling successfully within a designated time limit). If you get a local newspaper, check it for ads!
I Luv the Chariot OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 7:30 PM   #5
Established Member

Unless you're desperate for work I say keep trying and don't take something you know you'll hate. While pursuing jobs take some time to freshen up your resume, cover letter and interviewing skills so that when a desirable job comes along you'll have a good shot at it.

Other than that all I can say is keep your head up. About a year ago I was jobless for a couple months after walking away from a vile situation and it was tough for me to deal with.
Old 14th August 2008, 1:36 AM   #6

Not sure of your background or if you're located in a metro area but maybe try a temp agency?
here0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 1:39 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermartin View Post
That's the problem with some jobs nowadays. When I was a freshman in college, I applied to places like art stores, gaming retailers, gap, etc. Unfortunately I had zero experience for the position I applied for. And I never heard from jobs I applied.

My friend's going through the same situation as you, right now he's trying to use his contacts to hook him up with a job with no luck.
Have you considered looking into a staffing/temp agency? Or perhaps a paying a internship where it can land you the experience you do need?
monkey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 3:44 AM   #8
Established Member

Last I heard the Marine Corps was hiring!
Old 14th August 2008, 10:45 PM   #9

I just went through something similar. It took me six months to find something and I am not exaggerating when I say that I applied to 200+ jobs. I thought I was going to lose my mind because I had great references, an excellent gpa and I only had about 5 interviews after all those applications. I started applying to things that were beneath my educational level and some temp agencies and still had no luck. Until, finally, I found something. It's not the greatest job ever, but it fits my education and it pays (some) bills.

Don't give up. Keep applying and call them back if you have to. Something will turn up, I think it's a combination of the economy and the season (lots of recent grads), but you gotta keep plugging away. My husband is going through the same thing right now and I understand it's hard not to get depressed.

indeed . com is a great job search site. It's where I found my job.
redsoxfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 11:08 PM   #10
Established Member

What do you want to do? What do you like to do? are you m/f? how old are you? are you in school?

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." edison
nopainnogain is offline   Reply With Quote