Social Anxiety And Wellbutrin

mockeryjones

Has anyone here been prescribed the drug wellbutrin for social anxiety? my doc put me on it to help me with a generalized anxiety disorder (after taking prozac which actually worked great but made me lose my libido) and I have noticed that the things which i was taking it to counteract have actually gotten much worse on the drug?

i'm just wondering if this is normal for beginning wellbutrin (been on it about a month and a half) or if i need to get myself off this stuff. anyone with experience in either social anxiety or wellbutrin i would very much appreciate your input.

I had depression and anxiety and after about 8 weeks on it Welbutrin actually ratcheted up the anxiety to the point where I thought I was going to have to check myself in to the mental hospital. It was a reaction to the Welbutrin, which I found out is not that uncommon.

Call your dr. and tell her/him what's happening to you ASAP.

serial muse

I was briefly on wellbutrin too (couple of months). After the first month or so, I had a couple of panic attacks, which my doctor told me was normal for the drug. They did actually go away shortly afterward, and I began to feel more normal (and sleep normally too - it was hard to sleep soundly at first; I found myself waking up in the middle of the night).

That did all go away though, once I got accustomed to it. I do think it's fairly normal - give it a chance.

• Author
mockeryjones

ok so i called my doc and she is apparently on vacation till next week. she did however get back to me and told me to halve the dose i am currently prescribed. i have to say that really helped. my anxiety levels are no longer through the roof.

hopefully she'll get me on something better next week.

thanks for your replies

ok so i called my doc and she is apparently on vacation till next week. she did however get back to me and told me to halve the dose i am currently prescribed. i have to say that really helped. my anxiety levels are no longer through the roof.

hopefully she'll get me on something better next week.

thanks for your replies

May I ask, are you on Wellbutrin DL or XL? I was on Paxil after initially going through depression and anxiety about 4 years ago. Paxil worked really well for me, but it also screwed with my libido. My doc switched me to Wellbutrin DL and it did nothing for me. We switched to XL and it was horrible..

Wellbutrin from what I have read is not for everyone.

Also... You said your doc said to halve them? I do remember them being coated and they are suppose to be time released, something to do with a short half life. Anyways my point is, I am not so sure it is a good idea to do this atleast that is what my doctor told me .

Wellbutrin also made things have a metallic taste and curbed my apetite... I am thin and need my apetite!

There are many other AD drugs out there... it's kind of a crap shoot finding the one that is right for you.

• Author
mockeryjones
May I ask, are you on Wellbutrin DL or XL? I was on Paxil after initially going through depression and anxiety about 4 years ago. Paxil worked really well for me, but it also screwed with my libido. My doc switched me to Wellbutrin DL and it did nothing for me. We switched to XL and it was horrible..

actually i am on wellburtin SR. it comes in 150 mg pills that i was prescribed to take one in the morning and one at night. she just had me cut out the one at night. when i first started it i was just on 150 and it did nothing for me so she upped the dosage, that's when things started to go very very wrong.

• 1 month later...
IMUSTBEAFOOL

I Believe My Exgf Had A Similiar Problem With Anxiety

Not Sure If She Took Meds Or Not

Please Do Me A Favour All, If Anyone Runs Into Christine In Here Please Ask Her To Give Me A Dingle

Thank U

IMUSTBEAFOOL

YES I THINK CHRIS HAS THIS AND I CAN HELP HER WITH THIS AND SHE HELPS ME WITH MY BI-POLAR - SOUNDS GREAT.

:bunny::love::o:cool::p

People with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) go through the day filled with exaggerated worry and tension, even though there is little or nothing to provoke it. They anticipate disaster and are overly concerned about health issues, money, family problems, or difficulties at work. Sometimes just the thought of getting through the day produces anxiety.

People with GAD can't seem to get rid of their concerns, even though they usually realize that their anxiety is more intense than the situation warrants. They can't relax, startle easily, and have difficulty concentrating. Often they have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. Physical symptoms that often accompany the anxiety include fatigue, headaches, muscle tension, muscle aches, difficulty swallowing, trembling, twitching, irritability, sweating, nausea, lightheadedness, having to go to the bathroom frequently, feeling out of breath, and hot flashes.

The family is very important in the recovery of a person with an anxiety disorder. Ideally, the family should be supportive but not help perpetuate their loved one's symptoms

whichwayisup
Social Anxiety And Wellbutrin

I have heard that people with anxiety should not be taking wellbutrin as it has the opposite affect. If you have depression, then the wellbutrin will work better, and help with the anxiety.

whichwayisup
The family is very important in the recovery of a person with an anxiety disorder. Ideally, the family should be supportive but not help perpetuate their loved one's symptoms

True. Having support from family and friends is very helpful, as well as finding a good therapist who specializes in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.

I was just prescribed Wellbutrin this very day, mainly for depression, but hoping the speedy aspect of it might help with my lack of focus. Since I think I have some ADD tendencies, we decided to go with the Wellbutrin as opposed to the more Prozac-like drugs which tend to mellow you out.

Am hoping it doesn't make me anxious or miss out on sleep. She gave me the time-release kind to be taken once in the morning. I'll check back with you when I start to feel something.

Oh, and she gave me some Lorazepam to treat feeling upset in the shorter term, and all it did was make me want to go to sleep while I was driving. Not for me, I don't think.

• 3 weeks later...

and this was almost five years ago now. It helped me get out of my severe depression (along with cognitive behavior therapy), I weaned myself off of it until one day, I took it no more. It sure was kinder to me than Serzone - I royally tanked on that stuff.

Keep in mind, medication for depression or other anxieties is strictly a hit-or-miss process. If the meds you are on are NOT WORKING, or are making the problem worse, please contact your shrink or doctor as soon as you can. The meds will put a pharmaceutical "floor" under you, so you won't sink any lower. But they are NOT designed to cure your illness - that comes with the mental work you do with counseling and the steady eradication of cognitive distortions brought on by the illness.

I've been there, my depression basically cost me everything I had - including my 11-year marriage with three wonderful children. I absolutely could NOT cope with ANYTHING. I should have been put away, but wasn't. It was a long journey to wellness, but I made it and I am very proud of that.

Please do a web search on "cognitive distortions" - I think beating those back was what helped me get well the fastest. Once you have those held at bay, you should see quite an improvement in your mood, your relationships, and your confidence in yourself!