burning 4 revenge
It sucks, it sucks, it sucks! Did you all get that.

I'll go have one for you Pixie. If you think about it, I'm getting the bad end of the deal since you won't be able to take a breath for me later.

It may suck but it will add many years to your life, reduce the chance of your getting a number of diseases including that of the heart and lungs and give you a great deal more energy and stamina than you have now.

Yes, quitting is a major sacrifice and it's very difficult. Cigarettes are the most addictive drug on the planet. Perhaps you might have a better time if you have the assistance of a support group, a doctor, a hypnotherapist or other appropriate person...or even one of those skin patches.

If there's anything we can give you to keep you off of those things, let us know. Meanwhile, kudos to making the BEST decision you may have made in your entire life.

HANG IN THERE!!!

burning 4 revenge

I'm going to start seeing a therapist for a different reason, but for a fringe benefit I'm going see if he can help me quit smoking. I tried the gum and it worked for a while, I don't know why I went back. I guess I'll just have to try again.

• Author

I tried the patch and it made me sick. No I did not smoke while I was on it. I'm going for cold turkey. Drinking lots of water because someone told me it helps get the nicotine out of your system faster. Sounds logical.

Does the gum taste nasty?

Good luck to you. I've now been quit for nearly 18 months after smoking for 13 years. It's by far the greatest f***ing thing I've ever done. It's so empowering to get that control back. Good for your health, too. Anyway, it took me a lot of false starts before I finally made it. In these instances I snuck a few while having drinks. In the early stages of my last attempt (currently still underway) I read an interesting statistic. Having one-puff of a cigarette within the first six months reduces your chances of quitting permanently to 5%. When I read that I knew drastic measures had to be taken. I stopped going to bars and socializing with smokers-friends. You have to take what measures are necessary. I do wish you the best. You are embarking on a new life - the new you.

Devrapunzel

Yes, it does suck but you can do this! I'm on Day 8 of the quit and it is getting better. I made it through "hell week" and have just started "heck week". I'm not going to say it doesn't suck, but everyday is a little better AND I feel so empowered because I'm kicking nicotine's a**! There is a great support site for quitting smoking. I'm not sure I can list other sites here, but I'll try it anyway: quitnet.com

blind_otter
I tried the patch and it made me sick. No I did not smoke while I was on it. I'm going for cold turkey. Drinking lots of water because someone told me it helps get the nicotine out of your system faster. Sounds logical.

Does the gum taste nasty?

It tastes peppery. Like black pepper and mint. But it made my teeth really sensitive to hot and cold. You don't chew it, you just sorta soften it a little then pack it in your cheek like chewing tobacco. But I as a royal bitch even when I used the gum to quit.

I did not like the gum. It kinda burned, and didn't help much at all. The skin patches made me feel bad too, and I didn't smoke while using them, either.

Right now I am taking Wellbutrin and I think it helps. There is a new drug called Chantix that is either out, or will be out soon. My mom who works for the health dept. told me about a seminar she went to last week, and said its only competition is Wellbutrin (Zyban) and that it is way, way more effective. It "levels out" the chemical ride your brain goes on due to nicotine, so that it dulls cravings and makes cigarettes less satisfying when you do smoke. I know I will look into it, if what I'm trying now does not work.

And how come insurance won't pay for quitting smoking aids?? I have very good insurance, work for a state university, but in order to get my meds covered I have to be prescribed "wellbutrin" instead of "zyban" even though it's the same drug! Lame!

blind_otter

And how come insurance won't pay for quitting smoking aids?? I have very good insurance, work for a state university, but in order to get my meds covered I have to be prescribed "wellbutrin" instead of "zyban" even though it's the same drug! Lame!

I think because it's more lucrative for them to treat the health problems that come with smoking then it is to put money towards prevetative medicine. It's the American healthcare system at it's best.

reservoirdog1

I read somewhere about a way to stop somebody smoking in five seconds.

I think it was called The Uzi Method.

:laugh:

I think because it's more lucrative for them to treat the health problems that come with smoking then it is to put money towards prevetative medicine. It's the American healthcare system at it's best.

Well, I guess they must benefit from it somehow, but it seems like they would save money with prevention, since they have to help pay for your treatment. But what do I know.

Anyway, P1xie I wish you lots of luck. I downloaded an online counter to tell me how many cigarettes I have not smoked and how much money I've saved, to look at for motivation. Kind of silly but it made me feel a little better.