heart skipping beats

alwayswondering

I have always felt like my heart was skipping a beat and then beating really hard maybe once a month or so, very isolated incidences and everyone said it happens to them from time to time and it's nothing to worry about. For about the past 5 days, mine has been doing it all the time now, like every few minutes, all day every day. I don't feel any different except for that. I am scared to death, but the more I think about it, the more it happens. I have also had a great deal of stress in my life over the past few months, I called off an engagement, father was diagnosed with cancer, and now I am in the process of buying my first house and am pretty much terrified. The day I decided to get the house for sure is when the heart thing began. Do you think this is becuase of nerves? I am too scared to go to the dr. I am a very paranoid person and have been treated for anxiety and panic attacks in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? The more I try to relax, the harder it is to relax and the more I think about this and freak out.

I have always felt like my heart was skipping a beat and then beating really hard maybe once a month or so, very isolated incidences and everyone said it happens to them from time to time and it's nothing to worry about. For about the past 5 days, mine has been doing it all the time now, like every few minutes, all day every day. I don't feel any different except for that. I am scared to death, but the more I think about it, the more it happens. I have also had a great deal of stress in my life over the past few months, I called off an engagement, father was diagnosed with cancer, and now I am in the process of buying my first house and am pretty much terrified. The day I decided to get the house for sure is when the heart thing began. Do you think this is becuase of nerves? I am too scared to go to the dr. I am a very paranoid person and have been treated for anxiety and panic attacks in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? The more I try to relax, the harder it is to relax and the more I think about this and freak out.

I have experienced this...It could be anxiety....it could be something else...

Have you had an echocardiogram? I thought that I had panic attacks for the longest time. Then my neurologist (I have epilepsy) recommended I see a cardiologist because he suspected a heart valve defect.

I have mirtal valve prolapse, a very common heart valve problem that usually occurs in women and is most commonly diagnosed in teh 20s, 30s and early 40s. I take medication to control the pounding heart, rather than anxiety medication, because I don't get all loopy on this stuff.

GO see a doctor, preferably a cardiologist.

did your's just start one day all at once like this? Did you feel any different?

I honestly don't remember. It's been years. But all I can say is, if it's serious enough to cause discomfort and make you unable to function normally see a doctor immediately.

Sounds like panic attacks you feeling very over whelmed .. Have you been under alot of stress lately?

slubberdegullion

It's called tachycardic arrhythmia and is very common. Too much coffee or chocolate, cigarettes, stress, hormonal fluctuations can all cause it.

I get it too. It's like:

thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-pause-pause-WHUMP-thumpitythumpitythumpity-thump-thump-thump-thump...

If you get light-headed during an episode, it may be worth checking it out. And if there's chest pain or tightness, definitely get it checked out.

Brittanyjean06

i too have paranoia- and it got worse after doing drugs--witch i dont do any more... I have had a lot of stress latley,, and my heart beats so fast when im nervous that it hurts---i never used to be like this, and it has been a year but i have gotten used to it..

its not social anxeity, i know its not, but i twitch to and tremors...and anxiety now is defiently not like anxiety when i was like 15.......so its harder for me to do things, like go to new classes,,,or to look for a job, and i have hot flashes...

the more you think about it, yes the more it happens...you have to train your brain not to..you will get used to it

Brittanyjean06

i always felt like sweets kind of helped, maybe drink orange juice. go on a jog...stress is killer especially if you have my type of stress, its nerve recking

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse 20 years ago, and had the same symptoms. It seems anxiety and panic attacks go hand in hand with it and was treated with Inderal, Corgard, Xanax, Valium etc. I visited the ER more times than I want to remember, thinking I was dying. Caffeine can trigger palpitations, as can stress, anxiety and in my case hormonal changes. A female heart doc that has the same condition, told me that whenever her heart starts skipping beats, she coughs hard a few times and this usually calms things down. It is the one thing that works for me. Today I exercise daily for an hour, limit caffeine, eat healthy, take antibiotics before dental work and surgery, and try not to sweat the small stuff and feel better than I ever have (I take no meds at all now)!

Best advice to you is go to a cardiologist and have an echo cardiogram to see what's going on with you. It may be nothing more than stress, but better to find out for sure.

Oh by the way, I never had symptoms until a) my ex and I started fighting b) my dad died, all in the same year. Stress did bring on my symptoms, but was born with the mitral valve prolapse (it is hereditary)

Best of luck to you.

I've experienced the same symptoms without the panic and anxiety attacks. I went to my doc and she referred me to a cardiologist. They did a stress test (running on a treadmill hooked up to leads) and an ultrasound on my heart. The result was too much stress, too much caffeine, and too much chocolate :o

So, I've cut out stress as much as possible (I do a lot of yoga/meditation), don't drink coffee but still eat chocolate...It only happens maybe 1-2x a year now.

I would DEFINATELY go see my doc. It can't hurt, and will only ease your mind to know what's going on. My doc also told me that the more I think about the skips, the more they will happen. See, your heart and head are really connected! Seriously, go see your doc.

I am too scared to go to the dr.

The doctor is the only person who can keep you alive. So get your butt there NOW. Never mind the rest of the posts - your problem could be the symptom of something serious and you don't want to find that out lying flat while they wheel in a crash cart.

clandestinidad

I've had this since 6th grade, but its gotten worse over the years. My heart beats about 120-140, even when i'm not doing much...like sitting, standing or walking around. I have dizzy spells, and feel like i'm going to pass out. Usually when i exert myself physically, everything I see gets dark and my hearing goes out (like when you have your hands tight over your ears).

I dont have insurance so I cant get it checked out yet....and the parents dont think anything's wrong, of course.....but as soon as I can, I'm getting it figured out. You need to get yours figured out too, asap

Kat, have you ever asked a doctor about your heart rate and gotten any feedback? At the very least you could get an EKG. That test wouldn't be that expensive to pay out of pocket. Consider getting this sometime soon.

clandestinidad

When I was in nursing school, we had clinicals on a heart floor. They had telemetry machines that monitored your heart rate throughout the day, and mine jumped to 140 4 times, in only 3 hours. They didnt want me to leave the hospital, but I convinced them to.

I went to the ER for it once, but was there about 12 hours with nothing happening so I left......we'll see

But to the OP: if you have insurance or some way to pay for it, please go check it out as soon as possible...you never know what it could be

Ok, listen to me good, really good.

You MUST go to your doctor.

I had this about five years ago. I was a little worried but ignored it.

There followed a series of heart attacks, one of which nearly killed me.

YOU MUST GET THIS CHECKED OUT. IF YOU ARE GETTING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING - DIZZY, WEAKNESS, DIFFICULTY BREATHING, CHEST PAIN, GREYNESS OF YOUR SKIN, STRANGE PAINS IN SHOULDERS/ARMS/CENTRE OF BACK I HAD TWO OF THE ABOVE, BACK PAIN AND SKIPPING BEATS FOR MONTHS BEFORE I WENT DOWN. DO NOT TAKE RISKS. THE DR CAN CHECK YOU QUICKLY AND EASILY, CATCH IT NOW BEFORE IT CATCHES YOU PLEASE.