Anyone ever run a marathon?

I've been a runner my whole life and I've always wanted to do a marathon. Well, I decided that this year is going to be the year that I actually go through with it and run the 26.2 miles. I found a couple of training schedules that seem pretty good, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I'm not sure what to do about my diet as I get closer to the race...high carb, I guess? Not really sure what to expect. I'm not worried about endurance, I've ran a 10 mile race and I'm a very determined person so I know I'll finish even if I have to crawl past the finish line. I'm not doing it to set a record, basically I just want to finish and say that I ran a marathon. SO any advice or tips would be greatly apppreciated.

P.S. It's the Rock n Roll Marathon in San Diego, Ca on June 4th, if anyone wants to do it. All of my friends/coworkers/family claim to be too lazy to attempt it with me.

Besides H2O get elecrolyes (like in gatorade) because there is a semi-rare but serious problem when you sweat out all of your salt but only take in plain water you can get low in elecrolyes and faint or even die... it happens sometimes to enducance sport-ers... I trained for a marathon last year but only made it to 12 miles in my training.... I know I could run the full distance but once college started again in the fall I just simply did not have time to train for 2-4 hours at a time several times a week... I love running but not enough to make it my only leisure activity! This summer I will have a lot more free time and I think I am deffinitely going to train for and run at least a half marathon... training was so great, though, I was in such good shape and it was so empowering! Good luck with your run....

I dated a guy that ran marathons for a few months last year. Funny enough he cheated on me while he was in SD running the rock 'n roll marathon...but that's not important.:D I know he was involved with a group when he started running marathons a few years ago that helped him learn what to do to train. The little things that I do know are that you have to run a certain number of miles every day for training. When it gets closer to marathon time you need to start running most of the marathon one day a week and then take the next day off. Then about a week or two before you need to cut back on your running. That wasn't very specific advice but it's about all I remember from what he said. He also found that those goo packets (the energy boosters) were really helpful when he was running. I would suggest getting involved with a charity because they will teach you what to do, you'll have other people to talk to that run the marathons, and you'll be helping out a charity.

Good luck :)

• Author

Thanks for the tips. THe rock n roll marathon is sponsored by the Leukemia Society (I think) so I may contact them for additional information. Hope I didn't bring up a sore subject Kitten chick. Who actually has time to think about cheating when you know you are about to run 26 miles? That's nuts. If anyone else has any more advice...keep it coming.

Has anyone actually ran a marathon? How was it? Was there a time where you thought you wouldn't be able to finish? How did you get yourself over that hump? I know it's a very mental activity.

Im a runner also but never run that distance.

Id definatley fork out a few $$$ and get a coach to do me up a programme.

Even elite athletes need help, so id definatley take this avenue.

No offence to LS members, but im guessing there aint too many marathon runners in here to get tips from lol.

Don't worry Brooke, we weren't together long and I'm long since over that one. He did run for the Lukemia society and I know they had a good training program set up so you might want to try to get involved with them.

No offence to LS members, but im guessing there aint too many marathon runners in here to get tips from lol.
You'd be surprised. The guy I dated had a desk job and was online all day but ran at night. I think you'd be really suprised at times when you find out who is on the other side of the screen.
slubberdegullion

I used to be a middle-distance runner (10 km, usually) but never had the stamina to try a marathon.

I think pippen_2k's advice is pretty good. Having a coach/mentor/motivator or even running buddy is a good way to stay focused. Also, get a good heart rate monitor so you know when you're in the right "zone."

There's lots of good info here.

Good luck!!

BenefitOfTheDoubt

I've run four marathons -- NYC Marathon in November 2003, 2004, and 2005 and Rock & Roll San Diego in June 2004. The absolute best advice I can give you is to head to a site called Cool Running. It's a very active running message board and a great source of support and information about literally every running-related topic you could imagine, and a bunch you'd never imagine too!

Best of luck to you and have fun!!! Training for my first marathon was the greatest experience of my entire life!

• Author

Thanks for your input everyone!

Benefit of the Doubt...that is a really cool site. I've gotten many of my "beginner" questions answered. Thanks a bunch. I'm actually doing Rock N Roll this year...it sounds real fun!

I'm a distance runner and triathlete. Planning a marathon in June and a half-iron tri later in the fall. Hoping to do Ironman Wisconsin in 07.

Plenty of good advice here so far, but the biggest thing I can tell you is to manage your nutrition. Not just during training but during the race.

After your long runs make sure you eat complex carbs plus protein in as close to a 3:1 (carb to protein) ratio as you can to aid in recovery.

When you run, use gels. You need to constantly supply your body with a fuel source or you will run out of glycogen and boink. I eat one packet right before a run and it will last me about 100 min before I need more. If you are getting a feeling like you are running out of energy, then you are boinking and need to eat. The Gu vanilla bean and chocolate are amazing, as is the Hammer Gel apple cinnimon.

When you eat pre-workout (Race) make sure you eat either greater then 2 hours before or within 5 min of starting. If you eat within that time window, you actually deminish the availiblity of your glycogen stores (your body is in "store" mode instead of "use" mode) and you are suseptable to side cramps.

Watch your water intake. While staying hydrated is very important, you canbe over hydrated, and the symptoms strangley resemble those of dehydration. So drink, but don't over do it.

For every day meals, eat solidly throughout the day and a light dinner meal. Eat lots of whole grains, starches, steamed veggies, lean protein (chicken, fish, lean beef, ect...), fruit and avoid processed sugar, aka High fructose Corn syrup. I quit processed sugar cold turkey and I saw it make a visible improvment in my training. This includes soda and candy. My dentist loves it.

Anyway, the most important meals are the ones you eat post workout, so make sure you eat something within 30 min of getting home. I personally use a formulated recovery drink after any workout longer then an hour right afterwards, and I eat a meal within an hour.

in terms of actual training, the biggest suggestion i can give you is to just invest in a heart rate monitor and zone train. If you did all your runs in zone 2 or lower, you are assuring that you are building strong aerobic base that you can sustain for long distances. Another way to do it is to just force yourself to run slow. Often times it's slower then you think you should be running, but running anerobicly builds up the wrong muscle system and will gain you short bursts of speed, not long term endurance.

anyway, I could keep going on and on, but I think I said enough for now. good luck on the training!! I actually know some people doing that marathon

clandestinidad

aaahhhhhh...I LOVE it when guys know stuff like this.....

I was going to say lots of protein and tons of carbs (among other things)....but thats obvious, and Matty seems to be plenty knowledgable on the subject!!!!

• Author

Thanksfor all the great info Matt. This may be a stupid questions...but where do you buy those gels from? I haven't gone out and looked, but I've heard they are awesome for distance running and energy. Would a Modell's or sporting goods store have them?

Usually at Bike shops Brooke.

They seem to cater for cyclists and triathletes alike.

But yeah, the gels will be good for long distance running.

i buy them from a local running shop, but most bike stores will have them too. I also order them online from www.hammernutrition.com

Some of the larger sportings goods stores will carry them, but won't have a good selection. IMHO the Gu and hammer gel brands are the best on the market taste and ingredient wise, but I hear the cliff shots are great too..