Ditching the weed: quitting smoking

slubberdegullion

OK, it's time. With the price of smokes and the fact that I simply don't enjoy sucking on a smouldering tube of chemicals any more, I've decided to give it up.

I don't smoke much - less than 1/2 pack/day - but any amount, I figure, is too much.

The way I figure it, there are 3 basic options:

1. Cold turkey;
  2. The patch; or,
  3. Nicorette (or similar) gum.

There are other ways, undoubtedly. Hypnosis is one, but seems to have about a 50% failure rate (at least among the people that I know who have tried it). Acupuncture is another, but my experience with so-called natural or alternative therapies has been worse than useless.

So, any suggestions? Successes and failures?

I have never smoked but have friends who quit. Two did so successfully using the patch and another did it cold turkey. I expect different things work for different people. If you have enough willpower to fight the cravings, you can try cold turkey. It's cheaper.

hey, good decision..... but hard task ahead.

I have done it a few times in the past, and yes, I know how this sounds... but I am in the non-smoking phase now so :D

I adore smoking, but also like exercising and the two don't go well together (is this an understatement?)... anyway at different stages of my life one was stonger than the other and smoking came and went.

I gave up cold turkey everytime (did it 4 times in the past, the last 15 years I spent about 1/2 as a smoker and 1/2 as a non smoker) and I was the same as you, not a heavy smoker about 10 a day or less.

It was very stong will everytime, determination and just kept reminding myself why I was doing it. I guess I could only do it when in my mind I was really ready for it, ready to face life as a non smoker, not necessarily just because I thought it was a good idea at the time.

And I find the mental cravings still linger long after the nicotine cravings are gone... and for me are much harder to fight :( ...hence what I was saying before you really must want this and know why.

But, the good news it is easier and easier with every day/week/month/year that goes past.

The nicotine cravings go after 2-3 weeks and if ther are things/tricks I can suggest for distraction if you are intrested, pm me when you are mentally ready, if you want.