Losing motivation to lift weights

Alright so about a year ago I started lifting weights. I worked out about 3 times a week, doing about 5 different exercises. I kept this up for around 6 months, noticed some definite results. I'm a naturally skinny guy, but I was bench pressing about twice as much as I had started, curling about 2x the weight I had began with...and I noticed the shape/size of my muscles improving. Then about 4-5 months ago I started getting a little lazy. Instead of 5 exercises, I only did 4. Instead of 3 times a week....it was becoming 2-3. Then about 2 months ago, the 4 exercises a every work out is now only around 3-4, and I'm lifting 2 times a week at the most. Then ever since last month, I am only lifting once a week doing only bench press and bicep curls. Keep in mind I lift weights at home, so it's hard to say motivated all the time.

And as I was typing this post...I just decided I should join the gym it's only a 5 minute jog from my house - and only 25$ a month I can afford that since I am working almost full time. I hope that this will get me motivated again, but if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears!

Try a gym if that gets you going... plus you'll meet chicks on top of it.

I work out once a week at a nearby park, doing pull-ups and push-ups. Once a week is all I can handle... I work my muscles so hard that I have to rest my shoulders and chest a good five days to achieve full recovery. I'll do cardio a couple times a week, too, when my work schedule allows for it.

Bottom line: mix it up a bit if you're getting bored. Sometimes a change of scenery can help, which is why I like working out at the park. A new environment can work wonders.

• Author

Ya you're right westernxer, I went to the gym today with some friends and I lifted much more than I normally would just working out at home. A change in scenery really helps.

I didn't even think about the girls either...but there were a lot of hot ones today, it's definitely an added incentive :)

Sounds like you're lifting too much and your body needed the rest. I also like to go to the gym and use my IPOD as it keeps me focused. If I don't have that on, I tend to talk too much. Also, try supersetting. This is where you do two exercises right in a row with no break.For instance, one chest exercise and one back. Sometimes, I'll triset which is the same but with three sets before I take a break. I also change up my workout every month. Some months I'll work heavy with few reps(6-8) and then the next month I'll go light with a lot of reps(12-15). Also, if you're working out by yourself and there is a good looking woman lifting near you ask her if she'll spot you. They are flattered that you asked them and that you're not looking down at them. They also see what you're lifting and hopefully it's more than they are lifting. I did this and ended up with the same woman for coffee afterwards and then a Muffala sandwich and I'm not from New Orleans!!!! :laugh: