Isn't skinny like a BMI under 20? Why do I always get called skinny still?

I am wondering because I'm about a 21.4 bmi. Yet people always seem to think I'm skinny. Unless I am like barely dressed which never really happens clothing usually hide weight. But I never get why both skinny and fat people will call me skinny. When I think skinny I think barely healthy the bmi range of healthy weight is 18.5-24.9 My bmi is basically in between the two comfortably. I hold all of my weight in my bust so the rest of me is slim but one can tell overall I'm not twiggy. I never get why is it just because I'm short but I always thought taller people look skinnier usually than short people do don't they?

Many, many people are over the maximum healthy BMI you quoted.

You're probably 'skinny in comparison', as am I. And I'm pushing a 23 BMI.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic

Many people use the terms "skinny" and "thin" interchangeably. You probably are thin, despite your large breasts.

What's the context of all of this? Do their comments follow on from you having talked about dieting/healthy eating or going to the gym?

• Like 3

In some cases BMI is quite a poor indicator of healthy weight range, and an even worse indicator of appearance. This is often due to muscle mass - do you do a lot of exercise?

I say that because a few years ago my BMI was roughly 21-22, which is supposedly in the "healthy" range but everyone complained about how unhealthily thin I looked. I'm now about 24-25 so pushing into the "overweight" category but it's quite a bit of muscle. There are similar stories out there where people have started going to the gym, and put on a lot of muscle. Their weight has actually gone up but they appear a lot thinner. So I'd be careful interpreting your BMI - discussion with a health professional can help a lot with this.

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear

The calculators are pretty much worthless...

But I agree with one of the previous posters....Its all just relative to whats around...

TFY

• Author
Many, many people are over the maximum healthy BMI you quoted.

You're probably 'skinny in comparison', as am I. And I'm pushing a 23 BMI.

but aren't they medically overweight? So does it really make me skinny or them just overweight? As most people in America are. I just tend to think of like model size 0-4's are clearly what is skinny. I'd say a 4 can be curvy sometimes. But anything above is pretty normal average curvy at times. I've been in the low 120's which is a 22 something bmi still considered skinny. And at that point I can't even go to Victoria's secrets to get a normal bra size because I am too big. Yet somehow I'm still skinny by many people oddly.

• Author
Many people use the terms "skinny" and "thin" interchangeably. You probably are thin, despite your large breasts.

I don't get that really though. If I had most of my weight in thighs or butt I would be the same weight and less likely to be considered skinny yet it's all fat whether it's in my boobs or thighs. That ever made much sense to me. But I guess it's about perception

• Author
What's the context of all of this? Do their comments follow on from you having talked about dieting/healthy eating or going to the gym?

Different places any time I go to this one place it has a lower class of people the kind that take food stamps which has shown in studies that those on fs are heavier. But anyway the medical professionals I worked with and the patients both will act like I'm skin and bones in like scrubs. I got people claiming I didn't eat enough etc... But I'm just short and most of my weight goes to my chest so I don't have thighs or really a tummy. But fat is fat what I don't understand is how people can't process that

• Author
In some cases BMI is quite a poor indicator of healthy weight range, and an even worse indicator of appearance. This is often due to muscle mass - do you do a lot of exercise?

I say that because a few years ago my BMI was roughly 21-22, which is supposedly in the "healthy" range but everyone complained about how unhealthily thin I looked. I'm now about 24-25 so pushing into the "overweight" category but it's quite a bit of muscle. There are similar stories out there where people have started going to the gym, and put on a lot of muscle. Their weight has actually gone up but they appear a lot thinner. So I'd be careful interpreting your BMI - discussion with a health professional can help a lot with this.

I'm so lazy it's actually funny. I need to work out but I don't want to lose weight which I lose weight a lot of the time if I don't eat as much calories as I do.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Different places any time I go to this one place it has a lower class of people the kind that take food stamps which has shown in studies that those on fs are heavier. But anyway the medical professionals I worked with and the patients both will act like I'm skin and bones in like scrubs. I got people claiming I didn't eat enough etc... But I'm just short and most of my weight goes to my chest so I don't have thighs or really a tummy. But fat is fat what I don't understand is how people can't process that

I'm not understanding what difference it makes. Is this something that is bothering you on a regular basis?

The BMI is BS in my opinion. I am a weight lifter and can put on muscle with a hearty sneeze. But still my BMI says I am overweight. I want to put another ten pounds of muscle on and by then my BMI will be in the obese range.

• Like 1

I agree and believe the context of these conversations does matter.

People do not generally approach me about my weight. I think often this type of talk has to be invited somehow. (It exists in some context of another conversation usually)

However, I did recently loose some weight and in this case, people do approach me to tell me that they jotice and that I look “thin” or such. I am NOT thin, but I do understand, that they mean relative to how I was. My BMI is still in the overweight range, not by much, but I am certainly not thin, my shape is way more curvy than thin.

Sometimes people can use the term thin or skinny to seem flattering or reassuring or complimentary if they are going for that.

Why is anyone even commenting on your body? How does this come up in conversation? (I think this is very relevant)

If you are refusing pizza and telling people it is because you feel you can do without it for being chubby, then yea, people may overcompensate and say hyperbole to counteract that kind of thing.

Idk tho, just using a random example.

Maybe they are saying this to move your focus away from your body? Therefore trying to be reassuring or minimize something...to move away from focusing on body stuff, idk. Could be anything tho. Share context if ya care to.

Edited by Brieanna
  • Author
I agree and believe the context of these conversations does matter.

People do not generally approach me about my weight. I think often this type of talk has to be invited somehow. (It exists in some context of another conversation usually)

However, I did recently loose some weight and in this case, people do approach me to tell me that they jotice and that I look “thin” or such. I am NOT thin, but I do understand, that they mean relative to how I was. My BMI is still in the overweight range, not by much, but I am certainly not thin, my shape is way more curvy than thin.

Sometimes people can use the term thin or skinny to seem flattering or reassuring or complimentary if they are going for that.

Why is anyone even commenting on your body? How does this come up in conversation? (I think this is very relevant)

If you are refusing pizza and telling people it is because you feel you can do without it for being chubby, then yea, people may overcompensate and say hyperbole to counteract that kind of thing.

Idk tho, just using a random example.

Maybe they are saying this to move your focus away from your body? Therefore trying to be reassuring or minimize something...to move away from focusing on body stuff, idk. Could be anything tho. Share context if ya care to.

No I never have brought up my body to anyone. I once refused food because I was too sick to eat and would lose thousands of dollars if I puked again so I skipped out on food and got called anorexic even though after all of that I still was 110 lbs which is above a 20 bmi. Sometimes people will comment on me eating chips and say I'm skinny and how do I stay that way? This is from people of color btw which skinny usually isn't a good term.

CautiouslyOptimistic
No I never have brought up my body to anyone. I once refused food because I was too sick to eat and would lose thousands of dollars if I puked again so I skipped out on food and got called anorexic even though after all of that I still was 110 lbs which is above a 20 bmi. Sometimes people will comment on me eating chips and say I'm skinny and how do I stay that way? This is from people of color btw which skinny usually isn't a good term.

Since it's rude of people to commenting on your body at all, you could put them into their proper place by saying, "What? No, I am not skinny.....look at my fat boobs!" :lmao:

• Like 2

21.4 is slim but not skinny unless you have some very specific body type - e.g. lots of muscle mass.

I know from experience I've been skinny at ~18.5-19, afterwards slim but slightly curvy. At 22-22.5 it becomes too much weight for my body structure.

Maybe in your case it is just the weight distribution? E.g. if you carry most of your weight on top your legs can be very thin?

In any case, enjoy what you have: slim with big boobs is a dream for many many people:)

I am wondering because I'm about a 21.4 bmi. Yet people always seem to think I'm skinny. Unless I am like barely dressed which never really happens clothing usually hide weight. But I never get why both skinny and fat people will call me skinny. When I think skinny I think barely healthy the bmi range of healthy weight is 18.5-24.9 My bmi is basically in between the two comfortably. I hold all of my weight in my bust so the rest of me is slim but one can tell overall I'm not twiggy. I never get why is it just because I'm short but I always thought taller people look skinnier usually than short people do don't they?
Happy Lemming

As far as weight, the only person's opinion I care about is my Doctors.

About two weeks ago, I hit my doctor recommended goal weight. YEA!! (took me about 5 months, but I got there)

If you are concerned about what your weight should be, perhaps you should consult your doctor.

• Like 1