Anyone had this problem with potbelly even if you're fit?

Hello again

I came here for some help if anyone has gone through or know anything...

My boyfriend is 53 and he been working out and lifting weights since he was 14 and always been fit and lean and pretty muscular but last three years, he start to have little belly...hard not soft...now he has little pot belly.

He don't eat junk food not drink beer..

And three some years a go while he was doing bench press, he hurt him self.

His belly button seem to poking out...it called umbilicord hernia...getting a lot better....this may cause his pot belly?

Doctor told him to wear special belt made and gotten better on umbelicord harnia.

anyway, he does ab workout but no help...eating right no help

His waist is small still wears pant size 34 but gave this little pot belly Sticks out...

When he is lying down, no belly..it's flat only when he stands up or sit down...

How to get rid of? He is very self conscious about it.

Any advise?

Happy Lemming

Has he researched "liposuction" or "body sculpting liposuction"??

I don't know anything about it, but I guess you could research it and see if there are any places in your area that could provide him with some information.

Is it possible his hernia needs to be surgically repaired? They don't go away on their own.

The belt is just to prevent further damage.

I've seen cases that look a bit like an alien poised to pop out. :eek:

bet its the hernia.. I have seen a family member who had one that looked like he was carrying a small baby till he got it fixed.. wore the belt too...

If it isn't the hernia then all he can do is work out, sit ups and watch his eating... aging he can't do anything about.

goggle umbilical hernia and look at google images.. maybe you will see something familiar

Great idea.

I know a woman who had a huge one. You could see the peristalsis of her intestines, as there was a huge portion bulging out. She was a prime candidate for strangulation, which is a medical emergency. Aliens indeed!

OP, it's not a difficult surgery if this is the issue. Often, a sheet of synthetic mesh is stitched in to reinforce the area. Best of luck to you and your man.

Make sure he keeps using that belt.

thefooloftheyear

Don't want to make accusations without knowing the person.,

But most of what you are talking about is a result of excessive use of GH/AAS....And probably something to do with the type of drugs guys are using today, because even though guys took plenty of roids in the 80's, this condition was unheard of...now its common..

Do yourself a favor and Google "Palumboism"....Got it's name from a former bodybuilder named Dave Palumbo...Some of it is so horrendous..some of it is minor...

One other thing to consider is age...Heck, most men and women tend to develop this type of condition when they age...it may simply be just that...

Not likely to be umbilical hernia...Unless it's really bad...

TFY

• Like 1
  • Author

No he is not using any drugs or steroids and he takes no prescription drugs at all.

Pretty healthy and very active person.

We live together and I know everything what he takes.

I workout with him.

We have very large nice Home Gym...everything we want or need.

He takes just normal vitamins and pre-workout mix and here and there we both drink protein ones in powder and we mix with water.

He didn't have pot belly three years a go and no umbelicord hernia either.

He do not workout like maniac...just 1 hour slow steady workout with weights..

He say he has no pain around his belly button.

He's 53. His body has changed.

Very few men don't have a bit of a pot belly at 53, so let him know that it's not the end of the world.

He can though try to do crunches and sit ups to help.

• Like 1

Sadly it's human nature. That is where most people store fat.

You cannot spot reduce but he should start planking if it's safe. Also consider taking up swimming.

thefooloftheyear

What the op is talking about(i'm pretty sure) isn't actually fat storage...Your total BF would not change, but there winds up being a distention of the abdomen...No amount of diet or exercise will change it all that much...

One thing that I failed to mention is a lot of guys that train heavy and do a lot of heavy core work, wind up with a highly developed and thick stomach wall...There are muscles in those areas and they get developed(and grow) like anything else..It's an additional reason that most guys that weight train heavy develop umbilical hernias..(raises hand)

Most guys would love it if everything got huge, but their midsection stayed 29" and only defined...Won't happen unless you have really unique genetics...

TFY

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
No he is not using any drugs or steroids and he takes no prescription drugs at all.

Pretty healthy and very active person.

We live together and I know everything what he takes.

I workout with him.

We have very large nice Home Gym...everything we want or need.

He takes just normal vitamins and pre-workout mix and here and there we both drink protein ones in powder and we mix with water.

He didn't have pot belly three years a go and no umbelicord hernia either.

He do not workout like maniac...just 1 hour slow steady workout with weights..

He say he has no pain around his belly button.

Is it possible he has an enlarged organ making his belly stick out? Spleen? Pancreas? Maybe a dumb question, but I've had an enlarged uterus my whole life so will never have a flat stomach unless it's removed. Is there something a man could have enlarged that would make his stomach distended?