Recommend me a full body workout to do 3x a week?

Hey guys, I’m 20, 210 Ib, skinnyfat, 6’5, looking to build muscle.

I’ve been lifting VERY VERY inconsistently. Since March. First two months I did StrongLifts. Consistently. But I got bored of it and found myself not working out at all. Then I started again after two months of no workout. This time I lasted maybe a month. Then stopped again. Then I tried doing PPL, which was going well for a month, but then school started and working out 6x just became difficult.

So as a result, I haven’t gained any muscle. Just some decent strength gains.

But I want to really start working out consistently this time.

However I can’t do PPL, too many days out of the week.

I need a workout I can do 3x times a week.

Any help would be appreciated.

I’m currently sidelined by an injury at the moment which sucks so that means I can’t do all the fun things I used to do in the gym and at home.

I think your main issue is the mental/psychological aspect of it. It always is isn’t it?

Before I got injured I would just do a s**t ton of push-ups. 10x10 and just write it down on paper and put a date on it.

10x10 is aka German volume training, try it with the bench press if you can make it all the way to set ten but you’ll be violently sore the next day so make sure you’re off from work. It becomes “meaningful” by the late rounds.

Start with something light because it will feel like 400 by the later rounds.

Also time yourself, see how fast you can finish it with perfect form. And that’s it you’re done for that day.

Edited by Interstellar
Hey guys, I’m 20, 210 Ib, skinnyfat, 6’5, looking to build muscle.

Why do you say you're skinny fat? Off the top of my head, for someone of your height 210 sounds about right or even a bit light .... are you saying that most of that weight is fat? Any idea what your bodyfat % is? 25-30% I'd guess if you feel fat.

Note that I'm not having a go at you, just trying to get my head around where you are.

I've been lifting for a while now after coming back from injury about 9 months ago. I was skinny skinny :) :) Needed some bulk as there just was just nothing on my frame to work with.

If you're trying to build shape, as opposed to simply getting stronger, I'd say you're in a good position to go into the gym as a newbie and make those newbie gains - it will help you to be carrying a bit of bulk, as, if you're going to be serious, you're going to need a serious calorie intake and some initial fat reserves just to maintain this weight as you try to transfer your scales weight from fat to muscle weight.

I'm 5'9" and currently 175lb, but I'm fat, I went back to the gym 9 months ago with serious intent and did, and still do, a bro split, on a 6 day cycle. I lost 15lb right away. I needed to push in some serious calories as I wasn't eating enough to maintain let alone grow - but the challenge is to put enough in to grow muscle whilst not, at the same time, turning into a plum pudding. I've got my ratios off at the moment, so whilst I'm making really good muscle and strength gains I'm also packing on fat - not my ideal, but its a hard balance.

For now, I don't want to give up muscle growth and strength increases by cutting.

Anyhoo ... onto the rest:

I’ve been lifting VERY VERY inconsistently. Since March. First two months I did StrongLifts. Consistently. But I got bored of it and found myself not working out at all. Then I started again after two months of no workout. This time I lasted maybe a month. Then stopped again. Then I tried doing PPL, which was going well for a month, but then school started and working out 6x just became difficult.

So as a result, I haven’t gained any muscle. Just some decent strength gains.

But I want to really start working out consistently this time.

Right off the bat, you've got to have a mental plan of what you're trying to achieve. Most guys either don't know or are somehow embarrassed to tell the truth.

If you just want to be generally a bit more fit and thats about it then keep doing what you're doing. All exercise is good exercise and will help your general fitness and strength going forward.

If you just want to be slimmer, then cut back on your food and do a general workout at the gym. 3 days a week, probably PPL ( noted though, you don't lke ppl).

The single biggest piece of advice anyone can give you at this point though is to be consistent. Going to the gym at odd times a few days a week, a few less next week, a few more next week and generally just farting about won't get you anywhere.

If you've only got 3 days a week free for training, if this is the honest to god truth, then so be it, but do it, religiously, 3 days a week and work like you've got a purpose. Leave your phone/pod/pad at the door and work, hard, for 45 minutes to an hour.

However I can’t do PPL, too many days out of the week.

I need a workout I can do 3x times a week.

Any help would be appreciated.

My goal, at 5'9" is 200lb, about 90kg, at <10% body fat. Its achievable, as a natural, but its going to take 2-3years - be prepared for that. Be consistent and be in it for the long haul. The program you use matters a lot less than having the patience to see it through and to be consistent in your training ... and to work hard when you're in the gym.

Most natural gains flatten out after 5 years of consistent hard work. You might make those gains in 3 years with the right program, or 5 with a lower volume and pace, but at 5 years, both approaches are likely to achieve similar results (again, without any juice).

Why do I mention this? Because, again, its all about consistency, and to be consistent you have to enjoy your time in the gym. It has to be something you look forward to each time you enter the gym.

I've tried everything over the years and I always failed to reach my goals because, ultimately, I'd dread going into the gym, it bored me.

But I like the bro split, it makes me feel motivated and I can't wait to wake up in the morning to get into the gym - its the highlight of my day in fact. Lots of people, who know a lot, will recommend against the bro split for a natural body builder, and with good reason - but all those reasons come to nothing if you stop going to the gym because you're bored.

In case you don't know, a bro split is a single body part each day. Chest one day, triceps the next, then back, then biceps, shoulders/abs then legs - after that I take 2 days off because leg day just destroys me.

How you do your Bro is up to you and there are plenty of variations around the theme.

However, if you really don't have more than three days a week to get into the gym for an hour you're probably better off with a PPL routine. Chest and tri's, back and bi's then legs ... legs need their own day, honestly, because they are tough - if you have energy left after legs to do other exercises in the same gym session then I'd respectfully say that you're not working legs hard enough and you need to do this or you'll become unbalanced really quickly.

A fourth available day for an otherwise classic PPL would be even better because you really need some opportunity to do shoulders, as a complex group of a half dozen different muscles and we've not even looked at abs.

Ideally, with unlimited time, and assuming good sleep and nutrition, once a muscle group has recovered you'd hit it again - you know, chest 2-3 times a week, tri's and bi's at least twice, etc, etc. In real life, if you've got a full time job or full time school though, its usually a bridge too far and you just don't have the time unless something else gives ... like sleep - which you absolutely must not give up.

So, the take home message from me is to find a routine that you really enjoy, honestly enjoy ... and do that. Everything else is just tinkering around the edges. Theres no magic bullet - be consistent, do your 30-45-60 minutes, work hard like you've got a purpose, then go home

Stonglifts 5x5 is normally a good beginner to intermediate program. Why did you get bored ?

I am not sure what muscle building routine I could come up with which will be different exciting. Got to move heavy weights if you want to get strong/big.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 1

I'm with dichotomy - the issue isn't your program the issue is your lack of motivation to stick with it. At your stage you will see gains with pretty much any strength training program if you just stick with it. And they don't happen for all people overnight.

All that being said to address your motivation or mental side have you thought about CrossFit? I don't know if you have the cash for it but that's one way to make it interesting.

thefooloftheyear

People need to remember...."Muscle building" doesn't just happen to people...Most of the capacity to put any noticeable size on really is genetically predetermined...You can do everything right..Eat a perfect diet, go two-a -days...take all the gear you can find, etc...And it may not amount to all that much..Conversely, there are some homeless guys living in the street that have better physiques than some regular gym goers..Ankle and wrist diameters, while not 100% accurate, is a pretty good determining factor for size...If you have skinny wrists and ankles for your height, you will likely not gain easily...

Yes, practically everyone can improve to some degree,,,

The basic formula still stands as it was from the beginning...Stick to basic movements...Bench press, squat, pushups and dips, rows, weighted pullovers, deads, etc.. Go as heavy as you can and still maintain form for around 6-12 reps..Avoid isolation movements...Not that it's a particularly bad idea, just that why would someone try to refine what they barely have in the first place...??

Good luck...This type of thing isn't measured in days or weeks...It takes years and a lot of dedication...

TFY

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There are too many variations of a 3x a week split. Lots of this stuff takes time to explain.

There is not one workout tailored for a individual. some recover faster than others and some don't. You have to see what works. Maybe too many days off is not ideal.

I train two ways. mike mentzer HIT which is high intensity and a 35-40 minute workout. But you will want to vomit after its done. and hitting one muscle twice.

For a lot of natural body builders, you can also hit one muscle twice a week. At times, people will UNDER TRAIN. meaning, too many rest days for that specific muscle. For me, I grow faster hitting one muscle twice a week.

If you do research, a lot of natural guys will do that. But, you must do it in a way where you do not over train. There is a science to hitting one muscle twice a week. if you dont know what to do, it will send you into a over training state.

I put two guys on a program in my gym with that split and both are growing like weeds. No special genetics, no juice.

But wtf do I know!!!

I have skinny wrists and not so great genetics but I went from 150 lbs to 248-250lbs with a 36 inch waist. No juice, no crazy supplements. Just food and training one muscle twice a week with a reverse pyramid. set cycle and rep cycle.

This is also with a torn shoulder labrum, 3 herniated lower discs, and with permanent medication side effects from effexor that made me loose 25lbs.

Genetics do play a role. But you can grow rapidly and fast as well. If I can do that and still grow, there is no excuse for anyone.