intermittent urinary symptoms - anxiety related?

despairingbuttrying

I'm 34, male, 6ft2, healthy weight bmi etc. and no known conditions, i.e.non diabetic etc. I am taking mirtazipine for the last 2 months. I have a close direct relative, father, who has diabetes type 2 (diagnosed in mid 50s).

The last 3 weeks or so now I've woken up in the early morning (range from 230am - 6am) and had this strange but slight sensation that I need to pee. I awake to find I have it and then can't get back to sleep. I'm wide awake. However it definitely isn't a strong, intense, desperate urge but rather just a slight awareness if that makes sense which is why I don't even need to pee so I never actually go straight away and sometimes don't go at all until later in the morning. So it's more of a slight awareness if that makes sense.

What's even more odd is that this never happens at any other time of the day or night. I have no other symptoms, no burning, no pain, normal urine frequency. I'm fine, my usual self at all other times and can go about my normal day, however this is affecting my sleep now. I haven't had an one uninterrupted nights sleep for a while.

I had an urinalysis done two weeks ago which came back normal. I'll go and get my prostate checked but any idea what this could be? I feel if something disturbs your usual sleep pattern then something isn't quite right. Someone did suggest apnea but I'm not sure. I've used an app to record my snoring and it sounds fairly normal. But it would explain why I'm only getting this one symptom at night time

If you have health insurance - you can get a sleep test. Bring your own pillow and spend a night in a bed with some wires and a mask. While Apena is a major issue - there can be other things they can check with the test - heart and brain functions.

I also assume you have had a full physical with blood work - if not get that done. 34 is not old - but not young either and stuff can start showing up now.

Sleep is so important.

Edited by dichotomy
  • 1 month later...
  • Author
despairingbuttrying

I went to the doctor about a month ago and again he said not much he can do as symptoms were not progressive and getting any worse.

The urination symptoms are less severe on the whole I am not urinating more frequently, however I am still waking up most nights around 3-4am occasionally with a slightly dry mouth too but no strong urge to pee. Even then though, some nights I'll be wide awake, other times I'll be awake momentarily only to fall back asleep almost straight away.

There are days when I’ll drink say around 1l in the afternoon and won’t even need to go pee for almost the whole day and if I do then I’ll only void a small amount but then there are days where I could drink the same amount and I’ll void a fairly large amount, near the 1l that I had drunk. What’s the reason for this variation? Is this just normal and dependent on the individual?

During the times when I’m not voiding much, my urine is rather concentrated so a lot more yellow than the times when I void a fair amount, where it’s diluted and looking very clear. I've never had any pain, no straining, burning when urinating, good flow, no other physical symptoms really.

I did stop the mirtazapine/remeron about 3 weeks ago now so I don't think I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

• Author
despairingbuttrying

Today I had a DRE and to my surprise, the doctor said my prostate was slightly enlarged although it was very smooth and normal in that regard. It shocked me because I didn't expect someone my age to have this but the doctor wasn't overly concerned about it and said this can happen and it's nothing major to worry about. Nevertheless it's got me really anxious now. He gave me a PSA form so I'm going to go and get that done. I realise that prostate enlargement is a benign condition and there is no link to cancer but I don't know, I'm a little worried. Am I right in thinking that the smoothness and surface/texture of the prostate is more important than the actual size?

He thinks that my symptoms are more likely due to a slight over-active bladder than anything else.

• Author
despairingbuttrying

Still getting this slight sensation of awareness with a slight urge to pee and this disturbs my sleep as now I'm waking up as a result of it. It's more like an awareness of my body. Ill wake up to this around 3/4 am, sometimes 1am, so only an hour after falling asleep. Other times though, I have just gone back to sleep instantly and it's been fine.

Sometimes it makes me want to pee but most of the time I don't need to go so I don't, so it's not really that severe and that's the thing, it's never been a strong sensation, more of an awareness of these parts of the body and this "slight sensation" of wanting to pee. The times I have been I'll void an average amount (250ml maybe), nothing major but then that sensation or whatever it is I just can't put my finger on lingers for a bit and still can't really get back to sleep for a while. So maybe this isn't related to the peeing but rather to something that is waking me up at these odd times of the night.

Like for example, last night I woke up at like 1am feeling this sensation. I did not drink much before bed which was around 12midnight (did have cup of tea 500ml around 9pm). The only other noticeable symptom is this slightly strange, taste in my mouth upon waking. Again not sure what that's about. This is really frustrating as I've gone from someone who had zero issues with sleep to disturbed/middle of the night insomnia type sleeping patterns.

Anyone else get these symptoms? Possible anxiety related cause? It's just strange I have never had any pain at all or anything like that the entire time.

Are you male or female? How old?

Half a liter of tea at 9pm WILL insure you need to get up in the middle of the night.

Are you on any meds?

• Like 1
  • Author
despairingbuttrying
Are you male or female? How old?

Half a liter of tea at 9pm WILL insure you need to get up in the middle of the night.

Are you on any meds?

I'm male, 34 these symptoms have been occurring for more than 2 months, especially the night time symptoms.

I've never had pain or burning or straining when peeing and there's no pain whatsoever anywhere else.

Been to the doctor obviously, had urianalysis samples done 4 times, all normal, tested my blood glucose level several times using home testing kits before/after meals and that's normal too. Had a DRE and to my surprise, the doctor said my prostate was slightly enlarged however it was very smooth and normal in that regard. It shocked me because I didn't expect someone my age to have this but the doctor wasn't overly concerned about it and said it's not abnormal and this can happen and it's nothing hugely to worry about. Nevertheless it's got me really anxious now. He gave me a PSA form so I'm going to go and get that done. I realise that prostate enlargement is a benign condition and there is no link to cancer but I don't know, I'm a little worried. Am I right in thinking that the smoothness and surface/texture of the prostate is more important than the actual size?

He thinks that my symptoms are more likely due to a slight over-active bladder than anything else.

I'm female, 50yo. When I wake up with that odd 'need to pee but really don't' feeling, I curl myself into a pillow so that the pillow supports my torso, but particularly my bladder.

Back to sleep in an instant zzzzzz

• Like 1

I should have read your other thread.

Get the PSA done to ease your mind. Talk to a urologist if you have to, about your concerns re prostate shape, etc.

But my best guess is that anxiety is driving your focus. Why did you come off of the remeron? You can't rule out side effects, even if you've been off of it a while.

Has anyone suggested hypochondria?

• Like 7
  • Author
despairingbuttrying
I should have read your other thread.

Get the PSA done to ease your mind. Talk to a urologist if you have to, about your concerns re prostate shape, etc.

But my best guess is that anxiety is driving your focus. Why did you come off of the remeron? You can't rule out side effects, even if you've been off of it a while.

Has anyone suggested hypochondria?

Yes I definitely have hypochondria tendencies. I think I do need to relax and rest assured that it's not the worst case but my anxiety won't let me. I can't even focus at work as I'm spending my time on prostate cancer forums and dominating them one by one.

The remeron just wasn't working just like every other anti-depressant I've been on. Also I was thinking that maybe it was causing these symptoms as side effects but it's been about 3 weeks now since I've been off them.

• Author
despairingbuttrying

Why do prostate issues, if you have them, flare up or become more evident when you’re in bed overnight? Is it something to do with being prone/lying down?

The last few days now, I've woken up around 2am with a stronger urge to pee, however it's still not strong enough to actually make me go pee. Sometimes I'll fall back to sleep only to wake up again around 4-5am with that urge still present but again if I just lie in bed it sort of lessens and once I actually get up it's not really there. So it's literally just present when it wakes me up.

Also I have this strange taste in my mouth for a short while upon waking.

My actual urination frequency is normal, that's volumes (about 2-2.5l a day) and number of times I'm going (4-5 times/day), it's just that at night time I keep waking up at these odd times even though I've made sure I didn't drink anything before bed.

All I know is, our bodies don't digest the same at night vs morning and daytime. Having tea at night could be the reason. Try not to have any liquids in the evening and see if that helps or changes anything.

Is there something else going on though? Stress in your life etc? Or is this situation giving you anxiety.

Why do prostate issues, if you have them, flare up or become more evident when you’re in bed overnight? Is it something to do with being prone/lying down?

The last few days now, I've woken up around 2am with a stronger urge to pee, however it's still not strong enough to actually make me go pee. Sometimes I'll fall back to sleep only to wake up again around 4-5am with that urge still present but again if I just lie in bed it sort of lessens and once I actually get up it's not really there. So it's literally just present when it wakes me up.

Also I have this strange taste in my mouth for a short while upon waking.

My actual urination frequency is normal, that's volumes (about 2-2.5l a day) and number of times I'm going (4-5 times/day), it's just that at night time I keep waking up at these odd times even though I've made sure I didn't drink anything before bed.

Always go pee at night when you have the urge! Even if you think you don't have to go!

• Like 2
  • Author
despairingbuttrying
All I know is, our bodies don't digest the same at night vs morning and daytime. Having tea at night could be the reason. Try not to have any liquids in the evening and see if that helps or changes anything.

Is there something else going on though? Stress in your life etc? Or is this situation giving you anxiety.

No question I am anxious over this issue, it is consuming alot of my time and thought recently because I just think the worst case scenario - prostate cancer even though at my age there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting this. Yet I'm not reassured by this fact. I had a PSA test done today and I'm scared about the results from that.

I'm still having these and and off strange urinary patterns with disturbed sleeping patterns too where I'd wake up at like 1am and then sometimes at 5am.

So yesterday for example I drank around 3.5l but then voided a total of almost 4.5 litres! But then today I've voided around 900ml and drunk around 2l. Most other days it's been an average of around 1.6 - 2.5 litres which is fairly normal. However on occasions I'll sometimes have an urge to pee twice in 2 hours DESPITE NOT HAVING DRUNK in between. In other words, say I drank 1.5l, about an hour later, I'll get the urge to go and void 700ml and then another hour later I'll get another urge and void the same amount. Why is this? My bladder filled up despite not having drink anything in between. I wonder if this is simply the extra urine that was waiting to be emptied from my kidneys into my bladder or what?

My flow rate is still fine and again no straining, burning, no pain etc.

That's why I'm confused as to whether it's my prostate or something else.

Another big thing is that I occasionally feel a little off after I peed, like “on edge” almost rather anxious and not quite myself. Can’t quite describe it. Then other times where I feel totally normal. Comes and goes. This is the same kind of sensation I've felt waking up in the middle of night.

• Like 1

Anticipatory anxiety is the worst. Getting test results will ease your mind regardless of what the results are, not knowing and worrying is worse than facing the truth, especially when your mind goes to places it shouldn't and is negative.

Go talk to your Dr again, tell him/her all your symptoms and get blood work done just to make sure all is okay. Your chances of having something is really slim but i think once you get to talk to your DR again, you'll feel a bit better, let them ease your worries.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
No question I am anxious over this issue, it is consuming alot of my time and thought recently because I just think the worst case scenario - prostate cancer even though at my age there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting this. Yet I'm not reassured by this fact. I had a PSA test done today and I'm scared about the results from that.

I'm still having these and and off strange urinary patterns with disturbed sleeping patterns too where I'd wake up at like 1am and then sometimes at 5am.

So yesterday for example I drank around 3.5l but then voided a total of almost 4.5 litres! But then today I've voided around 900ml and drunk around 2l. Most other days it's been an average of around 1.6 - 2.5 litres which is fairly normal. However on occasions I'll sometimes have an urge to pee twice in 2 hours DESPITE NOT HAVING DRUNK in between. In other words, say I drank 1.5l, about an hour later, I'll get the urge to go and void 700ml and then another hour later I'll get another urge and void the same amount. Why is this? My bladder filled up despite not having drink anything in between. I wonder if this is simply the extra urine that was waiting to be emptied from my kidneys into my bladder or what?

My flow rate is still fine and again no straining, burning, no pain etc.

That's why I'm confused as to whether it's my prostate or something else.

Another big thing is that I occasionally feel a little off after I peed, like “on edge” almost rather anxious and not quite myself. Can’t quite describe it. Then other times where I feel totally normal. Comes and goes. This is the same kind of sensation I've felt waking up in the middle of night.

I don't know how to say this, but your obsessiveness is disturbing. Are you actually collecting urine to measure?

The body doesn't work the way you're thinking. Urine isn't stored in the kidneys (although there is a condition called reflux, which I don't suspect in your case). Ever heard the expression drinkers use? Once you pee the first time, you'll be peeing every fifteen minutes.

There are others ways your body loses fluid - sweating, regular respirations, through the GI tract, etc., so you can't measure input and expect an exact corresponding output. Your body is busy processing things at all times, digestion, for example, and it's not operating on a precise schedule.

What was your PSA, and what kind of help are you getting for your OC tendencies? I suspect your waking at night is a result of your obsession, and not your urinary tract. It's just what you focus on after waking.

How was your sleep while on Remeron? It's my understanding that it's suppposed to help greatly. Get some help, please. Good luck.

Yes I definitely have hypochondria tendencies. I think I do need to relax and rest assured that it's not the worst case but my anxiety won't let me. I can't even focus at work as I'm spending my time on prostate cancer forums and dominating them one by one.

You're everywhere!. I'm on one of the prostate cancer forums that you were on recently..

Cancer is so much easier to live with and deal with than what you are going through.

Ever get that PSA done yet? (I already know the answer to that). There's only one answer to your problem.....get off the computer....and take some action.

I'll tell ya here what I told you there......get the test. You don't have to like it....you just have to do it.

(You DO NOT have prostate cancer.)

Then? Go get laid. don't ask your pastor for permission....tell him after the fact.

Killing yourself over religious beliefs seems....contradictory....at best.

Besides....you got nothing to lose.

Edited by whatnot
  • Like 1
You're everywhere!. I'm on one of the prostate cancer forums that you were on recently..

Cancer is so much easier to live with and deal with than what you are going through.

Ever get that PSA done yet? (I already know the answer to that). There's only one answer to your problem.....get off the computer....and take some action.

I'll tell ya here what I told you there......get the test. You don't have to like it....you just have to do it.

(You DO NOT have prostate cancer.)

Then? Go get laid. don't ask your pastor for permission....tell him after the fact.

Killing yourself over religious beliefs seems....contradictory....at best.

Besides....you got nothing to lose.

Granted, one can probably find a study that supports just about anything you can think of, but here ya go:

Frequent masturbation increases the risk of prostate ca, while intercourse lowers it.

https://www.prevention.com/health/prostate-cancer-risk-factors

So, get busy! It's good exercise, and those endorphins will help your anxiety. You really need to address that if it's affecting your performance at work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
despairingbuttrying
Granted, one can probably find a study that supports just about anything you can think of, but here ya go:

Frequent masturbation increases the risk of prostate ca, while intercourse lowers it.

https://www.prevention.com/health/prostate-cancer-risk-factors

So, get busy! It's good exercise, and those endorphins will help your anxiety. You really need to address that if it's affecting your performance at work.

That link was extremely misleading and a more recent study confirmed that frequent m*sturbation or sex actually decreases risk of PC. It's the same thing afterall, you're ejaculating ultimately so it's irrelevant whether it's intercourse or self doing.

I've still been experiencing on going night time symptoms where I'll wake up anywhere from 130am - 530am sometimes with this slight feeling that I needed to pee. However I don't always end up actually peeing. The times I have been to pee during these early mornings I can void around 400/500ml so not an excessive amount. Around 6am I can fall asleep again for another couple of hours. Sometimes though I won't go at all until the morning around 8am before work and other nights I have managed a decent sleep of around 6-7 hours. Some nights I'll wake up momentarily only to fall asleep but it's when I wake up around 330-5am and I'm wide awake as if I've slept 8 hours that bothers me. I've heard of something called middle of the night insomnia, is that anxiety related though?

Still not having any other symptoms apart from this slight need to pee (and as I said I don't end up peeing 50% of the time) but no nausea, I don't feel thirsty, never feel tired, or have any pain anywhere etc.

During the day time I've had mostly normal urination patterns/frequency.

These night time issues though are still bothering me a bit.

Yes I had the prostate/PSA test and that's all normal, urine culture/test came back normal too. Personal blood sugar monitoring was normal too.

It's these choppy sleeping patterns that are bothering me now more than anything, less so the urination patterns (which are mostly normal other than the occasional void waking up).

Not to be dismissive of your concerns, but this is a very unhealthy focus on your health. I hope you are seeing a counsellor for your anxiety.

Anxiety, will cause unpredictable sleep patterns and the feeling that you have the urge to urinate. And, the bladder can be notoriously shy when feeling pressure to perform... How many times have you been to the doctor and told you "have" to produce a urine sample... only to struggle to produce the required sample.

Deal with your anxiety, and your symptoms will likely improve.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • Author
despairingbuttrying

I was on this forum earlier this year with LUTS concerns and unfortunately some of the same symptoms have re-surfaced.

So since around November, I started sleeping poorly, waking up anywhere between 2am and 5am and sometimes finding it difficult to go back to sleep. In December, and only on some occasions, I started having this odd symptom where I would have double voids, in other words I would void around 700ml and then maybe 2 hours later I would feel a slight urge/sensation to void again. I would then void around the same amount despite not having drunk much in between. This only happened on occasion and at the time I remember checking my blood sugar (via monitors) and it was normal because I'm worried about diabetes (as it runs in my family). I had a PSA test done and that was normal. Around 4 samples of urinalysis also came back normal too; no signs of infection, no blood in urine etc. But what's interesting is that my feeling of needing to urinate isn't the classic "busting I really need to go" feeling, it's more of a tightness, more specifically it's like some urine is still stuck in the shaft of my penis. It does NOT HURT, NO PAIN but just feels slightly tight down there and a sensation that I could pee but don't really need to pee (if you know what I mean?). Only a few occasions do I remember a slightly burning tingling in the shaft of my penis but that's last like a few seconds. I've googled this and it seems that I'm not alone here with this symptom. Why does this happen, what could this be? Is this possibly a prostate infection or something else?

The last 4/5 months have been erratic. From mid March til around mid May the symptoms started largely disappearing I would be totally fine for weeks (normal urination patterns. good sleep) and then one day I might have this double/triple void. It's disturbing to me because on the other days I usually only have to go 3-4 times max and this has always been normal for me. Every time where I have these voids in relatively short period of time, my urine is usually almost colourless, possibly with a tinge of yellow. Now I hear this is normal and means you're well hydrated but it bothers me to the point where I start feeling very anxious and on edge probably because I'm worried it's something serious but I guess I'm wondering where the extra urine is coming from? I have, over the years consumed alot of green tea (obv has caffeine) and other teas but am cutting down now but I don't think this is a cause of any my symptoms.

These last 2 weeks, the insomnia is back and I've been waking up early at like 2am. I'll go to sleep fine then wake up after a few hours and can't get back to sleep until around 6am. Another key point is that this entire time I've never had any pain really anywhere, soreness, don't feel tired (despite the early morning waking) or thirsty, never been ill, everything else therefore is fairly normal. The only other thing is very recent, like yesterday I noticed my right testicle is slightly painful when I touch it in one particular area (think I've had this before and it's just gone away by itself) but not sure if this could be related to a prostate infection.

The on and off insomnia and this occasional slightly abnormal urination pattern is what's worrying me.

I don't think the insomnia is related to the but can't be sure.

Romantic_Antics

Have you had a comprehensive blood panel done yet? Do that to see if there's anything going on with you metabolically. If it checks out, have your doctor order a sleep study.