Natural remedies for menstrual irregularities?

CautiouslyOptimistic

Hello ladies,

Does anyone use natural remedies, such as progesterone cream, with any success to regulate menstrual cycles? Specifically, to lengthen them?

I'm 45 and pre-menopausal and getting my period every 3 weeks. Since they last 7-8 days, I feel like I rarely don't have it, and it's very annoying. I can barely leave the house on the 2nd day because it's just so inconvenient due to heavy bleeding. Pain is minimal....nothing like when I was younger and childless. I do have endometriosis.

I've used progesterone cream in the past, but I think it was while trying to get pregnant, so only after ovulation. My youngest is 15, so it's been a while. I don't even think I'm ovulating now, so I don't know if it would even help, or when I should use it.

I can't take BCP or get an IUD because the hormones just make me bleed lightly ALL the time and that doesn't solve my problem.

If anyone has any advice, please give it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Have you been to ObGyn for this? Sounds like perimenopause (i.e. your progesterone is too low causing you to bleed longer.

I'd say don't write off BCP - you may do mini-pills - i.e. progesterone only pills if hormonal tests show that this is the issue indeed.

From natural stuff: vit C decreases bleeding and you can't really overdose it so you may try to see how it works for you.

• Like 1

Go have a full physical and make sure you don't have fibroids or ovarian cysts. They are affect your cycle.

Try a homeopathic store and see if there's anything that can help. It's all natural stuff, no side effects.

• Like 3

I had an ablation, which was the best thing I ever did. It's an out-patient procedure that essentially cauterises the uterine lining. You definitely cannot sustain a pregnancy after this, so it's only suitable if you are sure you are done with having children. After mine, I had one more period (very light) and then none again.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
littleblackheart

My younger sister has endometriosis; she swears by homeopathy but she says what has helped her the most is very long walks. I'm not sure there's any scientific merit to it (probably not!) but she says since she's started walking (she walks 1 hour a day after work) this has had an impact on her hormone regulations. She was also fairly recently diagnosed with BPD, and the walks have helped regulate her moods too.

Maybe worth a try?

• Like 2
LivingWaterPlease

Milk and meat both have hormones in them. Personally, I might try laying off them to see if it helps, not saying it will because I don't know. Just something I might experiment with.

• Like 2
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
I had an ablation, which was the best thing I ever did. It's an out-patient procedure that essentially cauterises the uterine lining. You definitely cannot sustain a pregnancy after this, so it's only suitable if you are sure you are done with having children. After mine, I had one more period (very light) and then none again.

My identical twin had this done and ever since she has suffered debilitating migraines she never had before! A correlation makes no sense to me (or her or her doctor), but it's enough to scare me away from it! :(

• Like 1

I have heard good things about raspberry leaf tea.

They sell it in health food stores, and have other "female" supplements with it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...