I really want this year to be the year where I stay in shape and routinely workout! I've had this resolution 2 times before but failed to maintain the momentum and motivation I start the year with.

How do you keep yourself motivated to keep working out?

I've noticed I workout for about 5 months and lose all momentum and virtually stop working out the rest of the year.

xenawarriorprincess
I really want this year to be the year where I stay in shape and routinely workout! I've had this resolution 2 times before but failed to maintain the momentum and motivation I start the year with.

I've noticed I workout for about 5 months and lose all momentum and virtually stop working out the rest of the year.

KTSullivan,

Are you trying to lose weight or are you just trying to get strong and stay fit?

This is just my personal experience and you or anyone else can use it or not, every person’s weight loss/health journey is different.

Most of my female family members are either grossly overweight or obese; I also began to become overweight as a result in my early and late teenage years.

I attempted to go full-throttle on the exercising and dieting, working out 1-2 times a day and drastically changing my diet. Did I lose some weight, yes, but it did not last at all because this was way too much overkill for my body and it was just too big of a lifestyle change to keep up with!

I eventually learned the beauty of the phrase, "All things in Moderation”! I cut back my exercising to 3 times a week on a consistent basis (Mon, Wed, Fri), and rather than altering my entire diet, I ate whatever I wanted in smaller portions. Portion control and consistent workouts 3 times a week is the key to keeping me motivated and healthy because I don’t have to drastically alter my lifestyle and I still got to eat most of my favorite foods, so there is no feeling of deprivation.

Every person’s body is different, but this worked out great for me. I lost 50 pounds and I’ve kept it off for nearly 16 years. I look great and more importantly, I feel great, and I don’t lose the motivation because I haven’t done a total overhaul of my life.

The tip I can give to you (this works for me) is that it is difficult to maintain motivation when you are exhausted from overdoing the workout regimen and feeling deprived of your favorite foods. So keep it consistent, eat smaller portions, and try to figure out what exercises you actually enjoy doing. I enjoy speed-walking, riding a bike, etc. I HATE running, so if my only workout option was to run or use the treadmill, I would never workout because that’s the worst thing I can even think of doing! The only time I ever plan on running is if I am being chased down by a serial killer, lol! Find out what you enjoy and it will help keep you motivated.

Good Luck!

If you rely solely on your motivation you will eventually stop whatever it is you’ve set put to do.

No one’s motivationis 100% all the time and sometimes you have to kick yoursel because you have too.

Good news is it takes about 21 days to make a habit.

Good luck!

staggerlee71

Expectations!!! you need to set reasonable expectations.

For example, Last year I decided to get healthier. I joined the gym. I work 12 hours a day, outside, in construction.

So my goal was get a better frame of mind. That's it. whatever weight, or shape improves, golden.

I started at 3 days a week, 1 hour of gym time. Not a schedule, but three days a week. I felt good meeting that reasonable expectation. Then as I got acclimated and felt I could add something, I added, 1 meal of the daily three should be whole foods. And off I went.

Best shape of my life. No weight goal, just 3 days a week is my base. more great, not less. 1 hour

• Like 2

Start with easy changes and work up. Attempting to go from zero to fitness fanatic overnight works for very few people.

Start with an easy goal - gym once or twice a week. Also plan ahead - if you know you are away at the weekend and won't be able to do your usual Saturday morning workout, go on a Friday instead of just skipping it. If you do miss one for whatever reason, add another one in as soon as possible to make up for it. Once you start allowing yourself to skip workouts, it's all downhill fast.

If you can keep that up for three months or more, up your game. Add another weekly gym class or sprint session, or whatever else you feel would get you in better shape.

Same again a few months down the road if you still want to improve your results further.

To stay motivated it takes a lifestyle change many arent willing to make. Set reasonable goals both short term and long term and go after them hard. The short term ones help with weekly motivation. Short term goals can be how many days you work out that month or even weekly.

To transform your body takes years of dedication and most people get discouraged looking in the mirror not seeing a difference after a few weeks. Good luck

If you dont love the gym, no matter what you do, you will never stay consistent. Im just telling you how it is. Been doing this too long.

My job is indescribable. I won't even get into detail what I do, but, people leave my job after two months. some walk out crying and shaking. Your body is abused and your mind is abused. Its not for everyone and you can reek havoc on your body doing the crap I do.

The last thing I want to do after a 10 hr day is do more work. But, bc I love going to the gym, I go.

when I was younger I would even if I had a fever, stomach virus, etc. Now that I am older I leanred to rest when I am sick and listen to my body.

Interstellar

I drink the blood of my enemies...and my iron will, of course.

• Like 1

Set it up as part of your weekly routine. If you use Google Calendar, set the same time aside each week and stick to it. You're "at the gym" 5:30-6:30 on Wednesday, for example (replace with your preferred day and activity). And make it something you enjoy, it's hard to be motivated if you don't like your workout. Casual team sports are great for motivation - if you like basketball, soccer etc, it's fun AND is a workout.

todreaminblue

motivation works extremely well when doubled find a willing partner who can help you on bad days and you can reciprocate your support when they arent doing so well....deb......

I used to live the gym but now I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I like the idea of making small changes to your lifestyle.

Primarily, I like to switch things up a lot. I even have memberships to three gyms (as well as home gym) just to have different environments to work out in. Good luck with your goals!

thefooloftheyear

IME, unless you are the type that truly regrets not training FAR more than whatever pain, discomfort, time expenditure you have to endure by getting it done, then most likely you won't stay in it for very long...

Seems pretty simple in concept, but that's the type of mindset you need to get to if you really want this to work....NY resolutions, reunions, weddings, etc, may give you temporary motivation, but they never last...The gym is packed right now, but by March, things will resume and all those yahoos will be back on the couch with the nachos ...

TFY

• Like 1