LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Women, do you wear makeup?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree189Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2018, 1:35 PM   #91
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
I guess to me the whole "people treat me better when I'm wearing makeup" thing is kinda like "people treat me better after I got rich and starting buying dinners for them". Sure they might... but is that really what you want? I know it's not what I want, anyway. If someone needs me to wear makeup to treat me right, I'd rather have as little as I possibly can to do with them.

I suppose with jobs it can be a bit more iffy - certainly it would be extremely frustrating if you found yourself passed over for promotions due to that. But I personally have never found that to be the case - as I said, I never wear makeup and am currently leading a development team 2+ years after graduating. I think that this may be a bigger issue in some fields than others.
When it comes to relationships and friends, I'm definitely with you- I expect people to accept me as I am and avoid those who judge me based on appearance. Ive even stopped dating guys who indicated they preferred my (naturally curly) hair straightened- it's very important to me to be with someone who appreciates me just as I am.

When it comes to jobs and networking, though- to me the extra effort I put in to my appearance to increase my credibility is worth it. While my role is very technical, I work in consulting, where unfortunately perception- and appearance- often seem to trump quality of work. I also work with a bunch of men, many of whom are older and more than a little paternalistic, and sadly being an attractive girl helps a lot in getting heard. I am not the best at this aspect anyway, and it's a depressing fact to me about my job, but I see no point in trying to ignore the rules of the game. Maybe some day I will leave the industry behind and will be able to afford to have a different outlook...

Last edited by lucy_in_disguise; 10th January 2018 at 1:39 PM..
lucy_in_disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 9:31 PM   #92
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma32 View Post
At least women get the socially acceptable option to wear makeup to cover their flaws. A man has to live with them every day.

The world can be cruel, period. This is not a gender-specific issue, nor do we need people to try their best to make it one.
Sure, both sexes get a little bit of everything... it's the imbalance in the way it's doled out... women get treated much worse, and more blatantly if they don't look how society says women should look... it's just a fact.

This is a day to day thing for women... in the work force everyone has to look as presentable as possible, of course. But I shouldn't have to wear makeup just to go out of my house or to wear dark glasses to ward off unwanted/unasked for opinions about how I look. My face and body are nobody's business.

Last edited by Fair; 10th January 2018 at 9:35 PM..
Fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 9:43 PM   #93
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
But I shouldn't have to wear makeup just to go out of my house or to wear dark glasses to ward off unwanted/unasked for opinions about how I look. My face and body are nobody's business.
I don't wear makeup a good 80-90% of the time and I have never once encountered this.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 10:12 PM   #94
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
I don't wear makeup a good 80-90% of the time and I have never once encountered this.
I have. If you haven't good for you.
Fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 10:20 AM   #95
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
Then you are lucky! I get these comments frequently enough as well. In my experience it is almost always from people who have very poor social skills to begin with and with whom I normally have a good rapport, so I assume they have good intentions and try not to take it personally, but it's still not pleasant.

What may be a little harder to pick up on but more depressing is the more subtle differences in treatment ( attention) from people with reasonably good social skills depending on how I am dressed and made up.
lucy_in_disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 9:10 PM   #96
Established Member

Nevermind.

Last edited by Cookiesandough; 11th January 2018 at 9:31 PM..
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:09 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
I used to enjoy doing my makeup. Lately, I have lost the will. I can barely will myself to put some mascara, eyeliner, and lipgloss on, and even then I try to go quickly and it feels like a chore. I wonder if it’s just because I am getting older or if it’s because I’ve gone a long time without wearing makeup out and about it seems pointless

It’s become a standard for women to wear makeup. Even in the workplace, when who wear makeup are taken more seriously as it makes them look more “polished” and “put together”. Often the woman wearing makeup will get most jobs over the one who doesn’t. My skin doesn’t benefit from skin makeup like foundation but I imagine for those that it does you get comments like “you look so tired today” on days you don’t wear eye circles concealer.

My ex said he preferred me to not wear makeup(surprise). Eveey woman notices how men invariably say this, yet invariably lust after women with make up on? And he met me with make up on.

Just wondering how many women here wear make up. Is it by choice? Do you actually enjoy it or do you just do it because you like the way you look afterwards or both? Do you ever get sick of it?
Most of the time I don't wear makeup. I have a love hate relationship with makeup. I enjoy applying it but I become very critical of my face and try to cover all flaws and turn myself into some beauty idea which I can never achieve.
springs is offline   Reply With Quote