LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Women, do you wear makeup?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree186Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Established Member

Women, do you wear makeup?

I used to enjoy doing my makeup. Lately, I have lost the will. I can barely will myself to put some mascara, eyeliner, and lipgloss on, and even then I try to go quickly and it feels like a chore. I wonder if itís just because I am getting older or if itís because Iíve gone a long time without wearing makeup out and about it seems pointless

Itís become a standard for women to wear makeup. Even in the workplace, when who wear makeup are taken more seriously as it makes them look more ďpolishedĒ and ďput togetherĒ. Often the woman wearing makeup will get most jobs over the one who doesnít. My skin doesnít benefit from skin makeup like foundation but I imagine for those that it does you get comments like ďyou look so tired todayĒ on days you donít wear eye circles concealer.

My ex said he preferred me to not wear makeup(surprise). Eveey woman notices how men invariably say this, yet invariably lust after women with make up on? And he met me with make up on.

Just wondering how many women here wear make up. Is it by choice? Do you actually enjoy it or do you just do it because you like the way you look afterwards or both? Do you ever get sick of it?
preraph likes this.
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Established Member

Yes, I wear makeup. I look quite tired all the time if I don't wear at least eye makeup, and I like the look of my skin better with foundation and some blush. I go to the gym without it and don't wear makeup at home if I'm not leaving the home, and I'll still answer the door like that . But, I look better with makeup on than without.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
Yes, I wear makeup. I look quite tired all the time if I don't wear at least eye makeup, and I like the look of my skin better with foundation and some blush. I go to the gym without it and don't wear makeup at home if I'm not leaving the home, and I'll still answer the door like that . But, I look better with makeup on than without.
Are those your eyes in your profile pic? They are beautiful.! I felt the same as you... feel I look better with it, but I also used to like doing it. Iíve begun to feel exhausted at the thought of doing it. Iím worried this means Iím depressed , like when you stop eating, which is probably ridiculous because itís an unnecessary thing and Iím sure plenty of women never wear it. Nothing else has changed I just never feel like doing it although I used to LOVE it. I hope this is a phase
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Established Member

Iím a guy and i donít use makeup but my previous girlfriends always put a little on before going out. For work, my ex would just use eyeliner because she thought she looked sleepy without it (I didnít think so). On regular dates, she would add some lip colour and for more important occasions (weddings, anniversaries) she would also use a little foundation.

I thought my ex was beautiful even without makeup but when she did put it on it always gave me the butterflies
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Established Member

I wear makeup if "going out" in the evening for dinner or cocktails etc. Or for parties, social gathering etc.

I also wear makeup when I have important meetings, giving presentations, or have big wigs from home office stopping by - basically any time I am putting on "business" clothes rather than business casual.

Otherwise? Nope, I don't really wear make up. I don't wear it to work daily. I don't wear it to go shopping or run errands.

I do try to take good care of my skin. My goal is to have my skin looking good without makeup, and lessen the development of any wrinkles. So I wear sunscreen religiously. I use a very gentle cleanser and a daily retinol cream. I drink plenty of water.

I appreciate the compliments I get on my skin way more than the ones I get for my lipstick
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Established Member

I wear minimal make up. Eyes and lips and even that is minimal. Four products in total.

I have make up I could wear like eye shadow and concealer and I probably should wear it because I do look much better with it on but right now in this cold weather my biggest concern is moisturizer.
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Established Member

I was reading a feminist blogger about it after having the thought ‘why do i feel I should do this to go to this event’(nye) and basically the blogger went into how for women it is almost necessity to wear make up in the corporate world and men don’t have to suffer it. Sorry, I see it as suffering right now. She used an example that she has dark circles under her eyes genetically and when she did not wear the make up her boss basically suggested that she looked a bit tired that day. She use the example of how women spend lots of money slathering their faces with expensive creams that often I have harsh chemicals in them and put little white tips on their toenails and men do not do this. And yes leg shaving.lol
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Established Member

As with all things I do them for me. I think if she's doing it for men or their approval she has bigger worries than if her eyes are done.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:40 PM   #9
Established Member

Her boss was a woman lol she basically suggested she looked unkempt that day. Oh well. Edit: nope I’m not doing my makeup today .
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
Are those your eyes in your profile pic? They are beautiful.! I felt the same as you... feel I look better with it, but I also used to like doing it. Iíve begun to feel exhausted at the thought of doing it. Iím worried this means Iím depressed , like when you stop eating, which is probably ridiculous because itís an unnecessary thing and Iím sure plenty of women never wear it. Nothing else has changed I just never feel like doing it although I used to LOVE it. I hope this is a phase
Yes, those are my eyes and thank you. I'm wearing makeup . I know what you mean, and I do think it can be a symptom of being depressed, because I get like that. But for me, it's everything.....getting ready at all beyond just taking a shower. "Ugh....I would go out and do that thing, but that means I'll have to get ready.....eh, nevermind." (One of my New Year's resolutions is to not be like this anymore....or at least get there eventually). If you're still going out, you're probably ok and it might just be more of an indication of you becoming more comfortable in your own skin, which is a good thing .

I actually enjoy applying makeup more now than I did when I was younger. Maybe because as I age I feel like I need it more, so I might as well like experimenting! One of my favorite things now is my month Ipsy bag .
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:57 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
As with all things I do them for me. I think if she's doing it for men or their approval she has bigger worries than if her eyes are done.
You go girl!!! Only do things for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
Yes, those are my eyes and thank you. I'm wearing makeup . I know what you mean, and I do think it can be a symptom of being depressed, because I get like that. But for me, it's everything.....getting ready at all beyond just taking a shower. "Ugh....I would go out and do that thing, but that means I'll have to get ready.....eh, nevermind." (One of my New Year's resolutions is to not be like this anymore....or at least get there eventually). If you're still going out, you're probably ok and it might just be more of an indication of you becoming more comfortable in your own skin, which is a good thing .

I actually enjoy applying makeup more now than I did when I was younger. Maybe because as I age I feel like I need it more, so I might as well like experimenting! One of my favorite things now is my month Ipsy bag .

Yes I completely understand what you mean. It starts the ughhhh I have to do this process vs doing it for fun. Lately I’ve been having this thing wear my eyelashes always look uneven when I put mascara on and i poke my eyes because I’m trying to rush through it. it frustrates me to no end. I just googled Ipsy bag and it looks fun!!!
Old 2nd January 2018, 1:12 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Her boss was a woman lol she basically suggested she looked unkempt that day. Oh well. Edit: nope Iím not doing my makeup today .
Oops....I thought you said it was for men that we do ourselves up. Anyway I enjoy doing make up because it's like art in a way but it seems the more often you go out like that the more you need to maintain that look. Especially if you put in a lot of effort in the daytime too.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 2:09 PM   #13
Established Member

Nah its all too complicated. Plus I love my natural face Lord knows if I tried to do make up, Iíd look like a clown.

Most I wear daily eyeliner and a nude lipstick.
I do spend a ton of time on skin care tho. Korean Skin care is my life right now...
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 2:12 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
I wear makeup if "going out" in the evening for dinner or cocktails etc. Or for parties, social gathering etc.

I also wear makeup when I have important meetings, giving presentations, or have big wigs from home office stopping by - basically any time I am putting on "business" clothes rather than business casual.

Otherwise? Nope, I don't really wear make up. I don't wear it to work daily. I don't wear it to go shopping or run errands.

I do try to take good care of my skin. My goal is to have my skin looking good without makeup, and lessen the development of any wrinkles. So I wear sunscreen religiously. I use a very gentle cleanser and a daily retinol cream. I drink plenty of water.

I appreciate the compliments I get on my skin way more than the ones I get for my lipstick
Girl please try the 10 step Korean skin care routine. That has changed the skin care game for sure.
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 2:15 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
I was reading a feminist blogger about it after having the thought Ďwhy do i feel I should do this to go to this eventí(nye) and basically the blogger went into how for women it is almost necessity to wear make up in the corporate world and men donít have to suffer it. Sorry, I see it as suffering right now. She used an example that she has dark circles under her eyes genetically and when she did not wear the make up her boss basically suggested that she looked a bit tired that day. She use the example of how women spend lots of money slathering their faces with expensive creams that often I have harsh chemicals in them and put little white tips on their toenails and men do not do this. And yes leg shaving.lol
I do... and don't agree with this. First, I am going to say yes. Between makeup, and high heels, women are still getting the short end of the stick when it comes to corporate dress.

That said - men have to shave their face daily, or keep their facial hair very well groomed and trimmed for the corporate look. Same goes for very frequent haircuts, often manicures, pressed suits etc.

As for her dark circles, she set precedent by wearing make up every day. Meanwhile, I never made makeup a part of my standard attire, but do get comments about looking extra polished on my dressed to impress days.

She looks off on the days she doesn't wear make up, because they are used to seeing her with it. If she went natural more often, she wouldn't look "tired" without it, she would look "normal".
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote