Depression and Sleep

Just wondering, are there forms of depression make one not be able to sleep normally and is a night owl? Just curious.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Insomnia can definitely be a symptom of depression, OR suddenly becoming a night owl even if you could sleep if you wanted to. I can only speak for myself, but when I've gone through depression at times (like now), I tend to irresponsibly stay up very late just because the thought of having to get up in the morning and do it all over again is so distasteful.

thefooloftheyear

Potential solution for you all and others..

Get into a vigorous exercise program...Try to use whatever conditions or circumstances that are dragging you down to motivate you...If you do it correctly, you will likely feel much better as endorphins will help offset your gloom-naturally.....Additionally, seeing yourself become more fit, feeling the positive transformation of your body, hearing those around you tell you that you look good, will absolutely boost your confidence and self esteem...

And you will naturally be tired from all the exertion and your sleep will improve..As far as what you can do, it varies by person...I like weight training ....Others like running...A walk in the park is nice, but I wouldn't recommend it for this type of thing...Pick something that will really get you going and involve some level of focus...

When it comes to depression, its often rooted in circumstances that are out of our control...Well...this type of activity allows you to seize something you actually can control...

Like stated....if done right, this can work wonders for both conditions...There really is no downside....Give it a try!!:)

TFY.

• Like 3
  • Author
Sounds like insomnia. Which can relate to depression but not always. Why do you assume its depression-based?

It's not me. I think I figured out why my friend texts me at weird hours of the morning. She can't sleep.

It's not me. I think I figured out why my friend texts me at weird hours of the morning. She can't sleep.

Fair enough. Why do you jump to assume depression is affecting her inability to sleep? These could be widely different issues.

• Author
Fair enough. Why do you jump to assume depression is affecting her inability to sleep? These could be widely different issues.

i asked her how she is doing and she said going through mental stuff. i guess it could mean anything. but i am suspecting she isn't texting me because she is thinking of me but because she just can't sleep and texts to not be bored.

What time is she texting you?

Is this a change in her sleep pattern or is this just her "normal"?

Some true night owls never sleep before ~1-2am every night.

• Author
What time is she texting you?

Is this a change in her sleep pattern or is this just her "normal"?

Some true night owls never sleep before ~1-2am every night.

Yeah, usually the texts start after 11pm and go on until 1 am. I used to think she was texting after her husband goes to sleep. But now I think shes just an insomniac. maybe depression as well.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Yeah, usually the texts start after 11pm and go on until 1 am. I used to think she was texting after her husband goes to sleep. But now I think shes just an insomniac. maybe depression as well.

That's not insomnia. It's just someone who stays up late, and yes, probably texting after her husband goes to bed.

She's young. Young people stay up late, remember? :)

Some times I have trouble sleeping.What I normally do is listen to some really lop hip hop music or just some calming rain falling or fireplace sounds.

I also try to deep breathing while in bed, and a warm tea (not caffeinated) to relax.

Some people read and journal to wind down. Our devices/lives can make it harder for us to relax before bed. Having a relaxing routine before bed night be best help you.

Potential solution for you all and others..

Get into a vigorous exercise program...Try to use whatever conditions or circumstances that are dragging you down to motivate you...If you do it correctly, you will likely feel much better as endorphins will help offset your gloom-naturally.....Additionally, seeing yourself become more fit, feeling the positive transformation of your body, hearing those around you tell you that you look good, will absolutely boost your confidence and self esteem...

And you will naturally be tired from all the exertion and your sleep will improve..As far as what you can do, it varies by person...I like weight training ....Others like running...A walk in the park is nice, but I wouldn't recommend it for this type of thing...Pick something that will really get you going and involve some level of focus...

When it comes to depression, its often rooted in circumstances that are out of our control...Well...this type of activity allows you to seize something you actually can control...

Like stated....if done right, this can work wonders for both conditions...There really is no downside....Give it a try!!:)

TFY.

Yep, I got into a raffle for a gym membership and won 6 free weeks.

I am using this as motivation to start working out. I am thinking it might help tire me out. Might as well try this out as part of my routine and see if it really helps with my mental health. Body wise, I think my body is okay looks wise, but breaking that sweat might help me in other ways.

My guess, it's just easier to cheat on her husband when he is sleeping. ;)

• Like 4

Damn gurl I wish I could like this 100 times. so much truth!

Yes. I have it. Depression is not always like depicted on TV or the movies. It can cause anger and insomnia as well as other symptoms too. Talk to your doctor and he will have you try a few medications. The problem I had with that is that it can take 6 weeks before you know if the medication works. If not, then you try another and another. Problem two is that many of them will have unpleasant side effects like clouding your mind, destroying your short term memory, feeling like a zombie, dizzy, sleeplessness, anorgasmia, and like most, impotence.

It took me over a year to find something that worked. I suggest that you tell your doc that you would like to try Wellbutrin first. It is an old school medication that does not affect your sex drive and for me at least, worked well for 15-20 years. I just went off of it again but sooner or later the depression will come back and I will go back on it again.

Despite side effects, medication is worth a try to see if it helps. If it does then it is just a matter of finding one that works well for you with minimum side effects.

However, you can just have plain old insomnia like many people have. Most cannot shut their brains off at night. That can be treated with therapy, sleeping pills or a tranquilizer. I sometimes take an antidepressant that is not a great antidepressant but its main side effect is to make you sleepy so it works for that if you take one before bedtime.

First step is talk to a doctor. I resisted for a long time until I started to fall asleep while driving, in business meetings or while people were talking to me. Your problem can also be sleep apnea. I finally got tested and sure enough I was waking up over 400 times night for a split second. Basically I would suffocate and wake up briefly and then repeat the process all night long never getting any REM sleep so no matter how long I slept, I was always very tired the next day.

As I said, talk to a doctor because that has to be the first step if you want to fix the problem. You may even have to shop around for a doctor that is knowledgeable about sleep disorders. Some refuse to give out pills and I have seen people suffer because they dare not disobey their doctor or find another. Others just get the sleeping pills from friends who can get a prescription for them while others get drunk every night until they pass out. I usually have to go through 3-5 doctors to find one who can help me. Doctors are not gods and half of them finished in the bottom half of their class and are not as good as most of their peers. Keep that in mind.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Yes. I have it. Depression is not always like depicted on TV or the movies. It can cause anger and insomnia as well as other symptoms too. Talk to your doctor and he will have you try a few medications. The problem I had with that is that it can take 6 weeks before you know if the medication works. If not, then you try another and another. Problem two is that many of them will have unpleasant side effects like clouding your mind, destroying your short term memory, feeling like a zombie, dizzy, sleeplessness, anorgasmia, and like most, impotence.

It took me over a year to find something that worked. I suggest that you tell your doc that you would like to try Wellbutrin first. It is an old school medication that does not affect your sex drive and for me at least, worked well for 15-20 years. I just went off of it again but sooner or later the depression will come back and I will go back on it again.

Despite side effects, medication is worth a try to see if it helps. If it does then it is just a matter of finding one that works well for you with minimum side effects.

However, you can just have plain old insomnia like many people have. Most cannot shut their brains off at night. That can be treated with therapy, sleeping pills or a tranquilizer. I sometimes take an antidepressant that is not a great antidepressant but its main side effect is to make you sleepy so it works for that if you take one before bedtime.

First step is talk to a doctor. I resisted for a long time until I started to fall asleep while driving, in business meetings or while people were talking to me. Your problem can also be sleep apnea. I finally got tested and sure enough I was waking up over 400 times night for a split second. Basically I would suffocate and wake up briefly and then repeat the process all night long never getting any REM sleep so no matter how long I slept, I was always very tired the next day.

As I said, talk to a doctor because that has to be the first step if you want to fix the problem. You may even have to shop around for a doctor that is knowledgeable about sleep disorders. Some refuse to give out pills and I have seen people suffer because they dare not disobey their doctor or find another. Others just get the sleeping pills from friends who can get a prescription for them while others get drunk every night until they pass out. I usually have to go through 3-5 doctors to find one who can help me. Doctors are not gods and half of them finished in the bottom half of their class and are not as good as most of their peers. Keep that in mind.

Great advice, but wasted on a man who is just trying to figure out the texting patterns of his very young mistress.

• Like 1
  • Author

Great advice, but wasted on a man who is just trying to figure out the texting patterns of his very young mistress.

Ouch! No, I was just trying to figure out the texting patterns of my friend. :-)

Anyways, FWIW, it does turn out she just has sleeping pattern issues and needs someone to text with at weird hours in the morning because she is bored online. I have gotten to know her a lot better in recent weeks. She just seems to have various issues around indecisiveness, can't decide what she wants to do with her schooling, can't decide what she wants to do with her life.., misses family.. the list just goes on and on.

I think whats going on is, because of the sleeping pattern issues, some days she looks really rough -- so one thinks she's suffering from depression. I get the impression she isn't depressed. Just messed up sleeping patterns.

BTW.. she is not my mistress and I am not sleeping with her. Give me some slack.. :-)

As a warning, thread stalking members who are asking innocent questions is grounds for removal. Not cool. Now back to the topic of depression and sleep. Thanks.