LoveShack.org Community Forums

LoveShack.org Community Forums (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/)
-   Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/mind-body-soul/physical-fitness-health-weight-management/)
-   -   Sudden weight gain and about it (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/mind-body-soul/physical-fitness-health-weight-management/642299-sudden-weight-gain-about)

Minnie09 9th November 2017 8:29 PM

Sudden weight gain and about it
 
How many lbs max can you possibly lose, in letís say 10 days, if you go from a very unhealthy lifestyle (for a looooong time, with too much wine, sedentary, NO exercising, not the healthiest of nutrition), to everyday working out (45-60 min, cardio and resistance), cutting all alcohol, and eating better (no sugar, protein-focused), and WAYYY fewer calories? Just looking for educated guesses. I know the question seems silly for reasonable eaters, and people who exercise regularly.

Iím mostly trying to lose belly fat, which Iíve never had, but all of a sudden, itís here and itís not going anywhere. I have always (or most of the time in my life) been thin, without having to do much about it, except for the occasional ďemergency fastingĒ. Menopause is a bitch.

Female, 5í4, 140 lbs. Iím used to weighing 120.

Iím interested in the how much how fast question, because thatís the only way I can get motivated. If I donít see results relatively quickly, i usually get frustrated and give up.

alphamale 9th November 2017 9:17 PM

you can probably lose 5-10 lbs in ten days with that scenario

No_Go 9th November 2017 9:35 PM

If you reduce the sodium in your diet significantly - not unlikely to drop 5-10 pounds indeed. You are aware that it won't be permanent but enough to motivate you.

Btw 2-3 pounds or under are frankly hard/impossible to measure - that's normal variation within a day...

Minnie09 9th November 2017 10:06 PM

Thanks for the reply so far. What foods and drinks are to be avoided with regards to sodium? I donít drink soda anyways, just water and green tea. And a lot of coffee obviously.

KBob 9th November 2017 10:59 PM

If you work out hard for 45 minutes you're going to be too sore the next day to repeat the same workout. If you're looking to burn fat, do low intensity workouts like power walking or aerobics, they get you to the heart rate that is optimal for fat burning, and you'll be able to them for longer since they're low intensity. Heavy, intense cardio will elevate your heart rate to levels where your body starts burning carbohydrates for fuel.

As far as diet, you should be eating nothing but raw or plain cooked vegetables (preferably steamed), lean meat (chicken or fish), and a small amount of carbs (brown rice). No fast food or heavy carbohydrates.

CryForNoOne 10th November 2017 7:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBob (Post 7463067)
If you work out hard for 45 minutes you're going to be too sore the next day to repeat the same workout.

I wouldn't make such sweeping statements. 45-minutes is a pretty short workout if you're already in shape. I do 40-minutes of intense cardio every day along with weight training 3 days a week. That's nothing after you've been working out for about 6 weeks or so. 40-minutes of cardio is only going to burn 300-400 calories which is sadly less than a small order of fries or half a slice of pizza. So there is NO WAY you can lose more than 5 lbs/month unless you combine drastic calorie reduction with an intense workout regimen.

OP, I dropped 11 lbs (186 to 175) in slightly less than 2 months and more importantly - maintained it. It's a bit harder for women than men to achieve
rapid weight loss BTW. I completely eliminated snacking and drank nothing but tea and water. Cutting out alcohol made a huge difference. I also went to the gym 6 days a week. I'm a really big fan of the 5/2 fasting diet. I restricted myself to under 500 calories two days a week and had no restrictions the other 5 days. It worked really well for me. Fasting is really misunderstood by the general public. It's actually completely natural and one of the healthiest ways to lose weight if implemented correctly.

CautiouslyOptimistic 10th November 2017 7:03 AM

I'd say 4-7 pounds.

OpenBook 10th November 2017 7:06 AM

For belly fat? Stop eating at night. And drink milk.

Minnie09 10th November 2017 8:51 AM

Milk? For belt fat? How so? I’m going to try it, don’t get me wrong.
Never heard of it before, though.

What I am doing, though is the Apple cider vinegar thing. I don’t know why it is recommended exactly, but it doesn’t taste that awful.

No_Go 10th November 2017 9:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnie09 (Post 7463038)
Thanks for the reply so far. What foods and drinks are to be avoided with regards to sodium? I donít drink soda anyways, just water and green tea. And a lot of coffee obviously.

Anything salty - because the sodium will make you retain more water.

Coffee/tea is good - caffein is diuretic - you'd be losing more water (now I'm sure I'd get people commenting against this advice - but hell, it works that way. To my understanding you need quick weight loss to keep motivated - I'm the same way btw - so I see no harm reducing a bit the water weight you carry).

Btw I personally bloat if I eat protein-heavy food. It's not exactly what people describe (the protein diet fad) but watch your own body to see how you react to different nutrients more than 'conventional' advice.

CryForNoOne 10th November 2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No_Go (Post 7463315)
Anything salty - because the sodium will make you retain more water.

Coffee/tea is good - caffein is diuretic - you'd be losing more water (now I'm sure I'd get people commenting against this advice - but hell, it works that way. To my understanding you need quick weight loss to keep motivated - I'm the same way btw - so I see no harm reducing a bit the water weight you carry).

Btw I personally bloat if I eat protein-heavy food. It's not exactly what people describe (the protein diet fad) but watch your own body to see how you react to different nutrients more than 'conventional' advice.

Bear in mind your not actually losing weight. You're just retaining less water temporarily. I guess if it's to help you motivate, that's OK, but you're deluding yourself if you think dropping 5 lbs of water weight in a week is actual weight loss. That's a recipe for getting depressed a week later when you gain it all back but didn't actually increase your calorie count...

No_Go 10th November 2017 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CryForNoOne (Post 7463421)
Bear in mind your not actually losing weight. You're just retaining less water temporarily. I guess if it's to help you motivate, that's OK, but you're deluding yourself if you think dropping 5 lbs of water weight in a week is actual weight loss. That's a recipe for getting depressed a week later when you gain it all back but didn't actually increase your calorie count...

I think she just wants to drop few pounds fast to motivate herself. That's why I told her the sodium/caffeine stuff - it will do the trick in the beginning, hopefully enough to keep her motivated to continue eating less/exercising more until she reaches her goal weight. Both her current and desired weight are within the normal range so it is more psychological than anything.

KBob 10th November 2017 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CryForNoOne (Post 7463225)
I wouldn't make such sweeping statements. 45-minutes is a pretty short workout if you're already in shape. I do 40-minutes of intense cardio every day along with weight training 3 days a week. That's nothing after you've been working out for about 6 weeks or so. 40-minutes of cardio is only going to burn 300-400 calories which is sadly less than a small order of fries or half a slice of pizza. So there is NO WAY you can lose more than 5 lbs/month unless you combine drastic calorie reduction with an intense workout regimen..

She said sedentary with no exercise, so I can definitely make such a sweeping statement.

OpenBook 10th November 2017 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnie09 (Post 7463278)
Milk? For belt fat? How so? Iím going to try it, donít get me wrong.
Never heard of it before, though.

Yes, milk. I was skeptical too until I tried it. Something about it reduces the lower-abdomen swelling that plagues a lot of us older women. It helps tremendously with digestion too - keeps defecation regular, clean, and easy to come out. (sorry about the graphics)

Try this for one night: instead of eating dinner, drink a glass or two of 1% milk. Then see how you look & feel when you wake up in the morning.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 9:46 AM.

Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.