I like cardio more than weights

Hi. I have recently started going to a gym. There are lots of fitness classes there. I intend to try every single one at least once. I hated yoga but the Zumba is so much fun. Spin class is way too hard on the arse for my liking. The gym has stuff like Hiit, boot camp, step, etc. too.

When I walk through the equipment to get to the change rooms I cringe at all the equipment I know I should be trying. My arms are kind of flabby and would like to firm them up.

Please convince me why I need to use the stuff that I have no interest in using. I know cardio alone is not enough but I really am unclear why weights are so important.

By the way I joined because of my blood pressure that I am getting under control. I was walking daily but decided to do the gym thing instead. (Our winters are extreme here.) Plus exercise for me gives me confidence and I could definitely stand to drop some weight.

Thanks for all your input good people!

Cardio does help your heart but weight training builds muscle & that improves metabolism. Especially if you are a woman, as we age we need to maintain good muscle tone to support bone health.

I'm not super clear on all the details but if you use smaller weights 10- 20 pounds the weight training is not that bad. Take that from a women who hates the gym.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

I like weights way more than cardio. Do you think you're just overwhelmed by the machines because you don't know how to use them? Is there a body pump class at your gym? You could start there because that uses weights, but is also light cardio.

thefooloftheyear

You may burn some calories, but cardio does little to actually shape the body....Additionally, a more muscular body will burn more calories at rest or in motion than a less muscular body..Incorporate some cardio, but resistance training should be the foundation of your training...

So at the end of the day, you get to eat more and look better...Additionally, it's a better workout vs time...

Advantage= resistance training...

No one is saying you need to do it....If you really despise it, then don't do it...Just know the facts..;)

TFY

• Like 4
  • Author
Cardio does help your heart but weight training builds muscle & that improves metabolism. Especially if you are a woman, as we age we need to maintain good muscle tone to support bone health.

I'm not super clear on all the details but if you use smaller weights 10- 20 pounds the weight training is not that bad. Take that from a women who hates the gym.

Well that explanation was great. Thanks.

Like how many "reps" (I think that is the right term, lol) are we talking about?

• Author
I like weights way more than cardio. Do you think you're just overwhelmed by the machines because you don't know how to use them? Is there a body pump class at your gym? You could start there because that uses weights, but is also light cardio.

I think you are 100 percent correct that I am overwhelmed because I don't know how to use them. My buddy will be back next week. Pretty sure she will be more than willing to sort me out.

Yep there is body pump! Thanks I will totally be sure to hit that one.

Oh you people here are so helpful!

• Like 1
  • Author
You may burn some calories, but cardio does little to actually shape the body....Additionally, a more muscular body will burn more calories at rest or in motion than a less muscular body..Incorporate some cardio, but resistance training should be the foundation of your training...

So at the end of the day, you get to eat more and look better...Additionally, it's a better workout vs time...

Advantage= resistance training...

No one is saying you need to do it....If you really despise it, then don't do it...Just know the facts..;)

TFY

Eat more look better??? Sold! I am in!

• Author
Most workout equipment in a gym is a waste of space. For the most part, you want to do free weight or bodyweight exercises.

A lot of people lose weight and look just as bad or worse than they did before. All that dieting tends to reduce muscle as well as fat, leaving someone as just a walking bag of flesh. Resistance training is how you add muscle tone which makes you look healthy.

Something I learned long ago about exercising is that the exercises you hate the most are almost always the ones you need to do.

"Something I learned long ago about exercising is that the exercises you hate the most are almost always the ones you need to do."

Truer words could not be said.

• Like 1
Like how many "reps" (I think that is the right term, lol) are we talking about?

I joined Planet Fitness because I felt more comfortable there & felt like I fit in better. The very serious gym people scoff at it & don't go.

Anyway, their 30 minute circuit work out you do a series of weights as many reps as you can in 1 minute. Before I worked up to that, I would just slowly do 10-12 reps on each machine. Especially with the arm weights I was "lifting" 10, 15 or 20 pounds max. I could do more with legs.

When I talked to the trainers, they designed programs where I'd do 2-3 sets of 12 reps each. Again the amount of weight was relatively small.

After a while I did see better definition & I felt stronger.

I still don't think I'd be comfortable doing a lot of this in a "real" gym.

• Like 1
  • Author

D0nnovain I Googled Planet Fitness. Why do people scoff at it and not call it a real gym? :o

Looks like a decent affordable way to get fit to me. And if they scoff at it, heck with them. If they don't like it, they don't have go there. More equipment for everyone else to use. The fact you are exercising in general is great.

• Author

Oh ok. I did see there are pizza and bagel days. I thought it was a bit, uhm, unique.

I do know some people out here use the gym as a social outing. A place to visit and catch up with friends while walking on a treadmill. It's likely better than my idea of an outing (coffee and donuts, lol)

I guess everyone wants different things out of their gym and/or workouts. And one thing I have discovered is that memberships are a lot more money than I ever knew. Perhaps Planet Fitness is targeted at students or senior with a lower income??

In any case, I really believe any form of fitness is better than the couch.

Because it isn't a real gym. Even Planet Fitness knows they aren't a real gym. They used to even say they weren't a gym in their commercials. They have a very limited amount of actual weights to work out with, a bunch of useless equipment that anyone who knows weight training won't use, and a giant line of treadmills. The place even gives out food some days :laugh: They even have rules against making noise in the gym, and anyone who is working out seriously will make noise. Pretty much everything about Planet Fitness is all about discouraging actual exercising. I call it Planet Fatness.

With all of that said, the place does incredible business, at least the one in my town does. It is full of college aged girls walking the treadmills. If you just want a place to get on a treadmill, Planet Fitness is usually cheap. It's also good for meeting college aged girls. I have a buddy who signed up just to hit on the ladies there.

I read somewhere that they actually discourage people who are "too" muscular from working out there as they are intimidating, lol. Most body builders I've interacted with are more than willing to share what they are doing and enjoy helping and encouraging others. Anyway..

To the OP, google "5x5" program. It might be a nice place for you to start. It's not very time intensive and allows you to start where you are at currently. It's also a great program for seeing strength/fitness gains and getting used to lifting and the exercises. As you build up your strength and confidence you can move on and branch out into your own program. It's an easy way to get started.

I used to run marathons and little time to strength train. I ran and ran and ran. A lot. Never lost any weight; did gain some muscle in my legs but it was sort of "hidden" under the fat layer. Three days a week lifting in the gym since March (total body each time) and no running and I have a better physique with less body fat than I ever had running 40 miles a week for years. Now I run if I want to, maybe 20 minutes 3 times a week for fun. Once you see the changes weight training gives your body in such a short time it's clear what works better for your time in the gym.

Not to mention, I tend to lift a lot more things in my daily life activities than run away from people. Good luck with your journey!

• Like 2
  • Author
Oh ok. I did see there are pizza and bagel days. I thought it was a bit, uhm, unique.

I do know some people out here use the gym as a social outing. A place to visit and catch up with friends while walking on a treadmill. It's likely better than my idea of an outing (coffee and donuts, lol)

I guess everyone wants different things out of their gym and/or workouts. And one thing I have discovered is that memberships are a lot more money than I ever knew. Perhaps Planet Fitness is targeted at students or senior with a lower income??

In any case, I really believe any form of fitness is better than the couch.

And to anyone who goes there please don't think I am calling you old or poor. I am just referring to marketing and the target consumer.

Forget that 5x5 crap, it's the slowest approach you can take to making gains. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and I currently do 8 sets of 10-15 reps. Normally it would be 12+ sets of 6-10 reps when I'm lifting heavier weights.

If you want the best overall workout for fitness, do circuit training. It's a great combination of cardio and resistance, and the chance of injury is low since a lot of it is calisthenics. Here's a sample program:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/burn-fat/circuit-training-work

When you're feeling fit and ready, up it and do more of a Crossfit style workout. Personally I think that is the best workout for overall fitness, I'm just not big on the cultish aspect of it, so I design my own workouts.

Forget that 5x5 crap, it's the slowest approach you can take to making gains. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and I currently do 8 sets of 10-15 reps. Normally it would be 12+ sets of 6-10 reps when I'm lifting heavier weights.

If you want the best overall workout for fitness, do circuit training. It's a great combination of cardio and resistance, and the chance of injury is low since a lot of it is calisthenics. Here's a sample program:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/burn-fat/circuit-training-work

When you're feeling fit and ready, up it and do more of a Crossfit style workout. Personally I think that is the best workout for overall fitness, I'm just not big on the cultish aspect of it, so I design my own workouts.

Your link is broken.

• Author

Well I took CautiouslyOptomistic's suggestion. I just got home from my 1st Body Pump class. Holy crap! That was exactly what I needed. I think every muscle in this body is going to hate me tomorrow. But I used lighter weights and I could not keep up at times. But I kept going. There is another class on Tuesday that I plan to go to. It was not pure hell like I thought it might be.

At this point for me I think the group/class setting is best for me as a person. I sometimes take the easy way out and it would be super easy to just avoid the hard stuff that challenges me. (Or only do a couple reps and say screw it.) As I get stronger I will hopefully see it differently.

---------------------------------------

Circuit training was mentioned. Well here is how little I know:

There used to be a chain here called "Curves for Women" where there was a circle of different pieces of equipment. After so long (not sure how long, I never ever went) you move to the next machine. I thought that was the true definition of circuit training. Ooooops.