Feel fatter even though I've lost weight.

I haven't gone on a diet. I merely cut out sodas, and I've cut back on how much I eat. I still eat plenty every day, I just don't gorge like I used to. I've been drinking only water for the past week or so. Strange thing is that during that time I feel like my belly pudge/bloat has gotten worse, and like my under chin fat has gotten worse too. I've heard from people that just cutting out sugary sodas and such has made them really lose weight, and has helped them regulate it. I'm not sure why it feels like I've gained more belly pudge and under chin pudge after this. I'm 6'2" and weigh 160-163 lbs. every morning naked I weigh around 158-159 lbs. I keep losing weight because of my diet change, but my belly pudge and face fat don't seem to agree with the scale. I know the scale is correct, I've used several different ones. Can someone please help?

Also, a good recommendation for a workout I can do to lose and regulate my weight, look more trim and get rid of the pudge, and build muscle, I'm all eyes. Thanks.

Wait, you are 6'2", 158 pounds and feel "fat"?

That's on the low to mid range of normal and healthy BMI.

Do you not carry much muscle? Are you light boned?

My rec? Drink tons of water to help your body flush the bloat, and start hitting the weights to build muscle.

• Like 2
  • Author
Wait, you are 6'2", 158 pounds and feel "fat"?

That's on the low to mid range of normal and healthy BMI.

Do you not carry much muscle? Are you light boned?

My rec? Drink tons of water to help your body flush the bloat, and start hitting the weights to build muscle.

Okay. I'll give that a try, but always seems the chin fat and belly pudge remains or gets worse. Also, I don't feel fatter. It's just that my chin and belly fat seems worse.

Do you know what your body fat percentage is?

Do you do any kind of exercise right now?

With such a low BMI, yet "fat" I think you must be lacking muscle.

More muscle will boost your metabolism, which burns fat, and the exercising itself will burn fat.

Have you made any other changes to your diet? I am wondering if you are eating something that is not agreeing with you and resulting in water retention and bloat.

But any which way you cut it - start hitting the weights. It will be good for your body and mind, and help sweat off that water weight.

• Like 1
  • Author
Do you know what your body fat percentage is?

Do you do any kind of exercise right now?

With such a low BMI, yet "fat" I think you must be lacking muscle.

More muscle will boost your metabolism, which burns fat, and the exercising itself will burn fat.

Have you made any other changes to your diet? I am wondering if you are eating something that is not agreeing with you and resulting in water retention and bloat.

But any which way you cut it - start hitting the weights. It will be good for your body and mind, and help sweat off that water weight.

According to an online calculator, I'm 21% body fat.

I was just reading up on this because I've recently experienced a similar thing. Lost about 8 pounds but my belly became really soft and pudgier.

One possible reason for this is apparently when you first start dropping pounds the fat cells are reluctant to shrink, so they fill up with water to replace the fat. This creates a really jiggly loose looking sort of fat, especially around the belly, but apparently it's temporary as those fat cells will eventually release the stored water.

It's possible as you're losing weight, you're losing muscle. Not sure how much protein you're eating but if you eat enough the muscle loss should be minimal. You could also lift weights to get more of the toned look over the skinny fat look. I know with me, the muscle filling out places makes me feel way more firm in most places that the previous times I've lost weight.

I'll chime in, as I'm a personal trainer. (I'll always be one even though I am on disability because of my spine and joint issues and various neuro issues from childhood abuse...long/er story).

Cutting to the chase, this is extremely common and it's what we call "skinny fat." You'll see it a lot of gastric bypass patients or people who go on extreme diets and don't take up aggressive weight & strength training. Most people feel a workout equates to a half hour on the elliptical or something. Doesn't work. Notice when people lose "weight" from diet alone or primarily, they sag.

Note: We never, ever lose fat cells, BUT we *can* add to the number if we put on, on average, more than 20 pounds Your fat cells you're born with are like water balloons, and you call fill them up (and this is what "young fat" looks like, it's a bit firmer. But with drastic weight loss combined with age the water balloons lose filler and they sag and droop, along with connective tissues which stretches.

Over 20 pounds you essentially "make more water" balloons....which can be filled up or deflated like the rest.

TL;DR It comes down to this: Diet (I hate that word) implies an end. Nutrition adequately explains this a life time change in eating working Women are unrealistically afraid of bulking up and I lift TO bulk up and it's dreadfully hard for us, hormone wise.

The ONLY answer is heavy weight lifting to reshape the body underneath (working up to it, don't stat this way. Truth is you'll get out what you put in, You must ease into it, stay deliberate, a daily affair, starting with 3 days a week up to 6-7.

If you really want to, it can be done, but it takes commitment and you must eat properly you must breath,. Work with a nutritionist familiar with your goals and genes. Get a body comp test and keep track of the progress. Work with a trainer, especially to get you started.

I've seen people at the gym work for a few hours a day and get nowhere because they're working hard but they're not working smart.

And don't trust the scale. My weight has been 132 and down to 117 both times I've stayed a size 4. It's not the scale weight.

Important: Dieting alone or dieting plus cardio alone = very poor results which can make you look older, very saggy and baggy, lot of loose skin, and flab. So this totally can be done, just has to beoe-=-

You need to hit the steel. men ad women. Need to lift weights.

If your body is shaped like a pear and you only do cardio, you are going to end up a smaller pear. same shape, but smaller.

weights.

• Like 1

No way you're fat at that height/weight. Are you having eating disorders OP?

I'd say it is probably just how your shape of the face is. Maybe you have small bone structure? If you're THAT upset with it, just get liposuction on the places that bother you (chin and abdomen).

Otherwise - I feel fatter when I lose weith too if I eat high-protein diet. I just bloat like crazy if I eat a lot of red meat. I'm pretty much 5 pounds down in a week if I reduce protein. Maybe I can't metabolize it in some way, not sure.

Maybe find what bloats you and reduce that particular food/drink. It can be anything - don't go for conventional advice, just listen to your own body.

I haven't gone on a diet. I merely cut out sodas, and I've cut back on how much I eat. I still eat plenty every day, I just don't gorge like I used to. I've been drinking only water for the past week or so. Strange thing is that during that time I feel like my belly pudge/bloat has gotten worse, and like my under chin fat has gotten worse too. I've heard from people that just cutting out sugary sodas and such has made them really lose weight, and has helped them regulate it. I'm not sure why it feels like I've gained more belly pudge and under chin pudge after this. I'm 6'2" and weigh 160-163 lbs. every morning naked I weigh around 158-159 lbs. I keep losing weight because of my diet change, but my belly pudge and face fat don't seem to agree with the scale. I know the scale is correct, I've used several different ones. Can someone please help?

Also, a good recommendation for a workout I can do to lose and regulate my weight, look more trim and get rid of the pudge, and build muscle, I'm all eyes. Thanks.

major_merrick

I went through this about a year ago. There's a couple of things at work here. When you change what you eat/drink, you end up somewhat changing how your body absorbs nutrients and stores energy. There's also gastrointestinal side effects when you change diet - you can bloat, or whatever.

The big one, though, is in your mind. Because you are focused on your weight, you micro-manage your body and inspect and criticize every detail. At your height, your proportions are fine. Do some exercise or training to change what kind of weight you've got on you, but your numbers are ok.

And cutting out the soda is always a great step - next get rid of the rest of the sugar. You can lose about 15-20 lbs just doing that.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned here is how is your diet in terms of food types? Do you eat a lot of fiber-rich foods like fruits and veggies? Increasing this can help clean out the intestines and help bring down the bloated look in some people.