Running clears my head. I lift and have brain fog. I can't find time to run, besides bodybuilders say that running affects muscle size

Anyone have similar experiences?

tetrahedral

I ran track and XC competitively for 10 years, and kept up training for 2 years after college. It's an incredible sport.

And the best part of it is the people. Many sports are subjective. On the track, fully automated timing tells you precisely how well or poorly you did. Runners are the most down-to-earth, curious, and extroverted crowd in sports. Your competitors are your friends. You see them once a week but it's like being in a fraternity.

I don't run anymore. I've found new fitness hobbies, and I just can't justify all the weight loss. But I do miss it.

• Like 2

Depends on what you are trying to achieve body wise.

Arnold ran a bit during his bodybuilder days like maybe 3 miles.

If your doing 10K's or marathons - well ya its going to be something different.

Hill sprints are a great alternative to longer distance running and you have seen the muscles on sprinters?!!

Also for cardio there are other exercises than running that wont cut your muscle development like an Airdyne (or assault) bike or stair climbers with intervals.

• Like 3
[...]

Arnold ran a bit during his bodybuilder days like maybe 3 miles.

[...]

I do pretty much the same, and while I sound like Arnold, I don't look like him. :D

You just really have to be careful about running if you are a heavier person and not an experienced runner. Weight is weight, and if you run incorrectly you can really hurt your joints. It's something I'd start slowly, but I've seen people bust their knees even at 3 miles/5k distances.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

You should do/enjoy whatever makes you happy...

I don't like the aspects of just running distances, because for me, its not effective from a time standpoint and I just don't enjoy it...The type of cardio I'll do is either hill sprints with a weighted vest, or I'll ride my bike..

TFY

• 2 weeks later...

Are you a bodybuilder? Or do you want a bodybuilder physique? Or to be lean and ripped?

You don't need that much time running to feel the benefits, you could run 5kms in 30 mins and feel great after without compromising significantly any bodybuilding.

Your name would suggest martial arts or boxing - do you participate in those?

I would never diss bodybuilders I admire their persistence. But I have a friend who spends 1.5 hrs a day in the gym and follows a strict training plan and diet. But can he run more than 5kms? We went Thai Boxing training together and he was carrying so much muscle he couldn't last five minutes. I guess what Im saying is, mass isnt the be all and end all.

Personally I admire male gymnasts for their functional strength. Those guys can do things us mere mortals could never dream of.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure OP whether you want to be a body builder or runner.

Long distance running does have an impact on muscle size so if you are looking to increase that, running marathons might not be the best way to train for that. I like to do 30 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill which is a good compromise of getting some running in and burning some fat but not so much that it will impact muscle gains.

• Author

I'm into bodybuilding. I've had pretty bad brain fog so that's the running part. It does clear my head. Lately I've given up caffeinated coffee, which gave me bad headaches. I have been feeling better. I do pump bodybuilding, it has good size.

Since then I do maybe fast walking and spurts of running but not marathon running.

Hill sprints. Great alternative workout on leg day. Ever see a fat sprinter, wide receiver or cornerback?

Nope, me neither.

If you still want to run, run, do 2-3 miles 4 days a week. You're not competing for Mr. Olympia, Do it on days you're not in the gym.

It's 90% diet anyway. Eat more, enjoy your run

• 3 weeks later...

I've just taken up football (soccer in the US), I squat twice a week and train and play football once - which is basically a lot of sprinting.

It's a great way to introduce some cardio that will also aid my squat, I don't have the patience for running.

I'm into bodybuilding. I've had pretty bad brain fog so that's the running part. It does clear my head. Lately I've given up caffeinated coffee, which gave me bad headaches. I have been feeling better. I do pump bodybuilding, it has good size.

Since then I do maybe fast walking and spurts of running but not marathon running.

HGH = human growth hormones there are BWE videos on youtube you should listen to one it will help your brain. The one I recommend is called "90 Minute Human Growth Hormone (HGH) Release - Isochronic Binaural Beats - YouTube" Best if you have 5.1 or 7.1 or even 9.2 Dolby Digital Surround Sound System with 12-sub active power one. Let the blast you with deep bass you'll feel 100% in no time. I listen to this when I need too on my 7.1 True HD. Or you can get a good pair of head phones instead.