Unnatural Hair Colors

Cookiesandough

I was wondering what your thoughts on women with unnatural hair colors (bright red, turquoise, violet, lavender, blue, green)?

Edited by Cookiesandough

I'm also curious what men think.

I personally think it gives a bit too much of attention-seeking vibe. One of my coworkers has had this rainbow, then mermaid hair. It looks cool... as one day thing IMO.

• Like 1

Bright red - tick. Done that.

Violet - tick. Done that.

Lavender - tick. Done that.

The other colours? One of my friends has blue hair at the moment. She's a goth.

I love living in a place where people don't get judged for not conforming.

Edited by basil67
  • Like 7
thefooloftheyear

Sorry to give a vague answer, but it kinda depends on the woman..

Ive seen tatted up funky types with good bodies and bright hair and it looks awesome...Ive seen otherwise dowdy looking women who think they need to try the "newest fad" and they just don't seem to pull it off..Additionally, like a lot of things like this, its better suited for a younger crowd, unless you are an older type that has an edge..

But at the end of the day, I am a big proponent of doing things anyway that suits me without giving too much a crap about what the opposite sex or anyone else for that matter thinks..

You like it?, then go for it and don't worry about what people think.....

TFY

• Like 5
I'm also curious what men think.

Why would "what men think" come into the equation?

Like attracts like. A conservative guy probably wouldn't be attracted to someone with crazy hair. Likewise, a woman who is alternative enough to dye her hair wouldn't be attracted to the kind of guy wouldn't be OK with it.

How we present ourselves helps us find the tribe we fit into.

Edited by basil67
  • Like 10

That's true:)

I was just asking because sometimes men view trends very differently than women. Btw I can't imagine rejecting someone for a hairstyle..

Why would "what men think" come into the equation?

Like attracts like. A conservative guy probably wouldn't be attracted to someone with crazy hair. Likewise, a woman who is alternative enough to dye her hair wouldn't be attracted to the kind of guy wouldn't be OK with it.

How we present ourselves helps us find the tribe we fit into.

• Like 4
CautiouslyOptimistic
Sorry to give a vague answer, but it kinda depends on the woman..

Ive seen tatted up funky types with good bodies and bright hair and it looks awesome...Ive seen otherwise dowdy looking women who think they need to try the "newest fad" and they just don't seem to pull it off..Additionally, like a lot of things like this, its better suited for a younger crowd, unless you are an older type that has an edge..

But at the end of the day, I am a big proponent of doing things anyway that suits me without giving too much a crap about what the opposite sex or anyone else for that matter thinks..

You like it?, then go for it and don't worry about what people think.....

TFY

Agree with all of this. I could never pull it off (except for maybe some pink streaks for breast cancer awareness or something), but I actually really like it when I see it on other women. Well, the right woman. I doubt I would like it if my mother did it ;).

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to my own outward appearance but couldn't care less what other people do. I had dinner with some girlfriends the other night and one of them was flipping out over her son's new tattoo (he's mid twenties and married lol). I just am not like that....live and let live if nothing's hurting anyone.

• Like 4

I have a bright dark red balayage with black hair (it's so unnatural looking lol). I love it! My boyfriend loves it. My ex-boyfriend said it looks really good. My 20 year old niece said it looks really good on me. (My brother and sister both looked at me in disgust and asked why I did that to my hair. lol) My female boss said it brightens my face. A female coworker told me that I should keep my hair that color forever. A male coworker started calling me "maganda" (pretty in Tagalog), and another male coworker whistled and called me hot when he saw me after I got it done. (The two male coworkers are both in their 60's or 70's so it made me laugh.)

• Like 2

For about five years now ive had my hair pretty consistently purple, blue, hot pink and various combinations. I know that some of the guys i date dont realky like it. Theyll look at me blank-faced and say, "your hair is blue," like i dont know it. lol. I really dont care. OTOH, the old toothless guy in the apartment below mine stopped me in the hall the other day to tell me how sexy my short purple hair is. lol. The bottom line is that I like it.

And about attention seeking, I love attention. Maybe that is part of it, but not the whole story. Its just fun for me. I dont wear make up or high heels or dress particularly sexy. If getting attention was my main goal theres probably other things i could do to get it. But i enjoy my purple hair. ☺

• Like 4

Rushed, red and black hair is my dream. Sadly, it does not work with my ruddy complexion.

• Like 1

Some women with dark hair sometimes have a red or Burgundy streak in in the front. Looks nice to me, cause it a little more subtle, not as loud as bright red or pink.

• Like 1
Rushed, red and black hair is my dream. Sadly, it does not work with my ruddy complexion.

Nonsense! Get it done! Or if you think the red would be too much with your complexion do what jay1983 wrote about above, and just get streak done in the front. It's just hair, and you can always dye it again if you don't like it.

• Like 1

The red would work well - it's the black which I'd have trouble carrying. That said, my hair is cropped really, really short so I'd have to spend years growing it to have what you describe.

• Like 1
I was wondering what your thoughts on women with unnatural hair colors (bright red, turquoise, violet, lavender, blue, green)?

Generally positive. I think it looks great, and as long as it doesn't come with a menagerie of piercings and tattoos, often means the girl in question will be more my side of the spectrum (active/thrill-seeking, or geeky)

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of hair dye on myself (my hair doesn't need to be made any MORE dry!), but I've seen a few women who seemed to pull the whole look off quite well.

That being said, I draw the line at bright pink. Just.... oh god, no. Why don't you do purple and yellow polka dots while you're at it... :laugh:

• Like 2
Michelle ma Belle

My mother was a hairdresser so I grew up having experimented with all sorts of cuts and colors and styles as a result long before any of my friends were allowed to. I've had some pretty dramatic colors in my day. Some were hits and many more misses and often lasted only a nano second before I swapped it out for something else.

My youth was the time to experiment and push limits if only to figure who I was and where I felt most comfortable.

Now that I'm older and I know who I am, I think my hair style and color reflects that while still being very fashionable. That's not to say I don't color outside the lines every now and again with dramatic a streak of magenta or another color depending on my mood but it's more of a suggestion than a full blown statement these days.

I think do whatever makes you happy. If you're happy and feel beautiful than it will automatically shine through no matter the hair color and no matter what anyone else thinks :)

• Like 3

I like it - as long as it's not overboard with a bunch of colors, and is temporary. If done well, it's fun, attractive, and implies a little tilt towards the unconventional, which is appealing.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
Are you thinking of having fun with your hair Cookies?

Yes. I've wanted to for awhile now. I think this thread has sold me ?

• Like 2
major_merrick

I've often run a stripe or two of red or maroon through my hair (I'm blonde.) Even in the company I work for, it hasn't been a problem. I'm a tech girl anyway, so there's a bit more forgiveness for me quirks than if I worked in the office all the time.

Personally, I LOVE the brightly dyed hair. My GFs both have natural black hair and don't dye it, which is fine. In the past, I really enjoyed it if I had a girlfriend who wanted to dye her hair bright red, pink, or green. I think black streaks with a bright color look really good. :love:

• Like 1