LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

how to like my middle aged body

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2017, 5:54 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
Does it trump the pain of permanent deprivation? Some women can't eat a cheeseburger without packing on 5 pounds and have to live in constant deprivation mode. It becomes a trade-off....enjoy life or enjoy your body? Some, like preraph, have decided it's just not worth the deprivation and constant struggle. And that's ok. I'm currently rebelling against temporary deprivation after a surgery and 20+ pound weight gain last year, but I at least know it would work for me if/when I REALLY commit. (None of this gym only 3 times a week and wine 5 nights a week BS).

I agree with what you say about 90%, but for some women it becomes such a discouraging battle . (And yes, I absolutely believe women have a harder time than men losing weight, especially as we age).
I agree with most/all of this...

I understand what you are saying and I fully understand how women's bodies store fat and how difficult it is to deal with...But many people make mistakes, in the areas of diet and exercise...Diets alone don't work and almost never do..

Part of my dumped post dealt with how women can take advantage of that which make men weight/fat burning machines...When you optimize it, most people can actually live normal lives...Think about eating 10-15K calories of basically carb laden and fried junk food a day for a period of 3 months and not gain any weight or fat.(I don't recommend it, just an experiment that I did last year)..That might be extreme and I am a big dude, but it demonstrates the power of muscle in how a body metabolizes food/fat...

TFY

Last edited by thefooloftheyear; 8th July 2017 at 5:56 PM..
thefooloftheyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 6:12 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefooloftheyear View Post
I agree with most/all of this...

I understand what you are saying and I fully understand how women's bodies store fat and how difficult it is to deal with...But many people make mistakes, in the areas of diet and exercise...Diets alone don't work and almost never do..

Part of my dumped post dealt with how women can take advantage of that which make men weight/fat burning machines...When you optimize it, most people can actually live normal lives...Think about eating 10-15K calories of basically carb laden and fried junk food a day for a period of 3 months and not gain any weight or fat.(I don't recommend it, just an experiment that I did last year)..That might be extreme and I am a big dude, but it demonstrates the power of muscle in how a body metabolizes food/fat...

TFY
I'd love to have this information. I'd make time to work out like a fiend if I could eat and drink whatever I want
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 6:26 PM   #18
Established Member

TFY is right.

Our bodies naturally lose muscle as we age. Usually starting around age thirty. Rebuilding that muscle is the key that I think many overlook. Eating well and other healthy habits are good, but building muscle is what stands between many of us and success. I can attest to that.

And it doesn't take a lot. No one is trying to be Mr. or Ms. Olympia here. Just some consistent resistance training goes a long way.
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 6:30 PM   #19
Established Member

Just get in the habit of a few sit-ups every night.

You can think after you get your flat stomach back. Ha!
Marc878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 6:37 PM   #20
Established Member

TFY I would really appreciate that long post. I packed on 10lbs recently and it's very obvious. I am not the type that can deal with long term starvation and it's getting harder and harder to keep the weight off
Old 8th July 2017, 8:17 PM   #21
Established Member

d0nnivain, I don't suppose you - or anyone else on the thread - sews? There's a FB group called Curvy Sewing Collective where a heap of us share pattern and fitting ideas. It's amazing how flattering a pattern specifically designed for a bigger body size can be. So much nicer than the smaller sizes which just get graded up and fit badly.

It's also a really body positive space.

Anyone wanting to join can send the page a direct request or send me a PM and I'll link you in.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 8:28 PM   #22
Established Member

One thing that happens to women is the fat moves around and often goes south, so even if they get back to their goal weight, they will not have the same shape.
Old 8th July 2017, 9:02 PM   #23

Those who say that you should just do sit ups must be joking... Because they obviously have no idea how the female body gains and/or loses weight.

I do agree with the suggestion of weght training. Not necessarily for weight loss, but because it has so many benefits and it is so important to keep muscle as we get older.
BaileyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 9:15 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post
Those who say that you should just do sit ups must be joking... Because they obviously have no idea how the female body gains and/or loses weight.

I do agree with the suggestion of weght training. Not necessarily for weight loss, but because it has so many benefits and it is so important to keep muscle as we get older.
Wouldn't it be nice if "a few sit ups a day" would do the trick. Shows how clueless some people are about how hard it actually is.
BaileyB likes this.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 9:15 PM   #25
Established Member

I'm a man, so excuse me, we have our own issues post 40-50 but there are some similarities I think.

Its an excellent question - how to dress appropriately for age and body type and I don't know the answer. Contemporary fashion off the rack is a nightmare for me too unless I'm looking for suits or business wear.

On diet, I will say that I have to keep away from carbs. As a stick figure when young I could eat anything, in any quantity and remain skeletal thin ... no more If I eat foods like bread rolls or pizza or even potato I bloat up, almost immediately. By next morning I look like I've gained 5 pounds. So I've had to change what I eat and the quantity and really pay attention to eating three times a day but in reasonably small quantities ... not diet small quantities, but enough to get me to the next meal without overloading. I have a tendency to only eat when I feel hungry and by then I'm quite hungry and I suspect I overeat.

Ultimately I think eating relatively small, without carbs (or reducing as much as humanly possible) and often, three meals with lunch being the biggest, along with exercise, even if that means an hour walk in the evening or morning, is sorta working for me.

Cutting out snack food and soda and some sort of daily exercise has made the biggest difference for me - its raising my metabolism.

Oh, one other thing, I've always suffered with bad sleep patterns and I'm trying really hard to get _at least_ 8 hours a day now ... more if possible. Sleep deprivation can have a real and big effect on metabolism and tends to make one want to snack ... to keep blood sugar levels up ... are you getting enough sleep?
Mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 9:37 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if "a few sit ups a day" would do the trick. Shows how clueless some people are about how hard it actually is.
And not even just a "few sit ups". I remember back in my belly dancing days, there were women who had abs of steel - with a big layer of padding over the top. Good muscle strength in a particular area doesn't translate to lack of fat there.
Old 9th July 2017, 6:07 AM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
And not even just a "few sit ups". I remember back in my belly dancing days, there were women who had abs of steel - with a big layer of padding over the top. Good muscle strength in a particular area doesn't translate to lack of fat there.
Yes - theres a bit of controversy on this but I don't believe spot reduction works. You've got to lose overall body fat to see those abs Genetically a lot of us put weight on our mid section and because of this its the last flab to go - argh!
basil67 likes this.
Mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 6:14 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Yes - theres a bit of controversy on this but I don't believe spot reduction works. You've got to lose overall body fat to see those abs Genetically a lot of us put weight on our mid section and because of this its the last flab to go - argh!
I didn't think there was controversy. I've yet to meet an independent exercise or health professional who says that spot weight reduction is possible.
Old 9th July 2017, 7:43 AM   #29
Established Member

My mother (70) is 85 pounds. I'm a few inches taller than she is but it gives me hope for my future. She keeps her figure with daily exercise and repetition of breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is always a half-cup of cereal, orange juice and a slice of toast. Lunch is always a half sandwich, carrots, and an apple she usually doesn't finish. I have seen her eat the same thing for decades now. (At night she is a full-on gourmet, cooking and eating amazing things.) I think the routine is a big part of what keeps her on track.

A friend of mine who's a trainer once told me abs are 70% made in the kitchen and 30% in the gym. Eating well and eating specifically for fat loss is much more important than sit-ups. If you have a semi-regular source of carbs and sugar, cut that out first before making any other major changes.

I have never been overweight, but I have had great success with the ketogenic diet when I wanted to burn just a few pounds and I have friends who have lost 30-40 eating that way. My one caution would be to adapt it with heart health in mind; instead of using butter and coconut oil, use vegetable oils like olive and avocado.

If you can't overhaul your whole diet, just eliminating starches, grains and sugars will help significantly. If it's a matter of loose skin, no amount of dieting will get rid of that, but eliminating starches and keeping a moderately restricted (1200-1600 depending on height and activity level) diet should make a major difference.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 9:00 AM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
TFY is right.

Our bodies naturally lose muscle as we age. Usually starting around age thirty. Rebuilding that muscle is the key that I think many overlook. Eating well and other healthy habits are good, but building muscle is what stands between many of us and success. I can attest to that.

And it doesn't take a lot. No one is trying to be Mr. or Ms. Olympia here. Just some consistent resistance training goes a long way.
Agreed. The muscle factor is important... it's largely a myth that ageing slows the metabolism and makes you get fat. Studies done on people of the same body composition at varying ages show that the metabolic effect of ageing alone is of the order of a few %.

The age impact mostly comes from
1) muscle loss, which dramatically affects the metabolism. It does get harder to build and maintain muscle as you get older, but it's not till your 50's or 60's where the effect becomes too strong to combat with better discipline
2) Hormonal changes - for women oestrogen decreases as you get older. It's presence promotes fat storage on your hips/legs. Without it, you'll see more fat going to your belly instead, which is far more noticible.

And for OP, another big factor is :
Alcohol - alcohol decreases fat burn, if you exercise and drink you'll just burn the muscle you're building instead of the fat you want to be rid of. Alcohol especially decreases fat burn in the belly, so again it's a massive handicap to a flat stomach. If you want to be trim in middle age, you may have to give up the wine.
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote