Need some good lifting plans for newbies

I want to start doing free weights next week but I am not sure how to start safely. I've found some online but I'd like to get suggestions from folks who have done it before. Thanks!

tetrahedral

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is the bible of introductions to weightlifting imo.

Stronglifts 5x5 is popular, but I don't think it's as rigorous.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone on one of these threads recommended Mike Matthews and I really like his book (I bought the women's version called Thinner Leaner Stronger but he also has some books geared towards men). He has plans and talks a lot about why to do things to avoid the newbie mistakes. He focuses a lot on compound lifts so you work a lot of muscles at once. For the actual exercises though he just links youtube videos.

• Like 1

Do yourself a favour and learn to lift from someone who knows how to in real life. Around 90% of guys in commercial gyms wouldn't know a hip hinge if it hit them in the face and I'm pretty sure you value your spine and would like to keep your lower back in good health.

Go to a lifters' gym and learn from a coach, even if it's just for 3-6 months or so until you start feeling the form. It will take you a couple of years to be any good, make sure there are people whose advice you can ask when you get stuck. There are no lifters on this planet who are any good if they think they learned everything quite quickly. That means they suck.

5 x 5 is a good programme for novices, though I can't remember whether the programme cautions you against butt wink. Rippetoe doesn't (his programme is called 'Starting Strength') and while I've learned some of my techniques from him (I squat low bar), I'm aware that he didn't use to teach hip hinge (that prevents butt wink) so I take his teachings with a pinch of salt, lifting has evolved over the past handful of years, you have to keep up.

Hip hinge/butt wink: www.t-nation.com. If a lifter doesn't understand these principles, they know jacks**t about squats. Please assume that most lifters you see outside dedicated gyms have absolutely no clue.

Paused squats and goblet squats will become your friend. Again, www.t-nation.com is a great guide.

Good luck!

• Like 1
I want to start doing free weights next week but I am not sure how to start safely. I've found some online but I'd like to get suggestions from folks who have done it before. Thanks!

The best way is the all body workout benches they use your own weight as weights. I've been using mine since 2013, no pain but gain. Work-in-progress though but if you keep at you'll see results. The old way is to buy weights, bars and weight bench, but without a spotter you're taking a risk. If you can pull your own weight up that great. Chin-up, sit-up etc.. I must say one thing might look easy but it's not. Got to learn out to balance yourself as you tone and build the body. Remember you can't loose weight and build the body. You got to feed your muscles.

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is the bible of introductions to weightlifting imo.

Stronglifts 5x5 is popular, but I don't think it's as rigorous.

Yep.

That book (proper form) and the 5x5 program was great for me back in the day. I do struggle with some lower back issues so I had to modify later some of the lifts

I watched a trainer recently describe the "simplest" way to get strong. Kind of a barebones 5x5 program - just Two workouts A) Dead lifts and Dips B) Front Squats and Pull Ups. He also said most people dont know how to do deads and squats properly to avoid injury. Also very true. A few sessions with a trainer maybe worth it to get your form down for lifts.

• 2 weeks later...

You want to powerlift or body build? IMO? 5 reps does absolutely nothing for proper growth. Nothing. That muscle is just getting started.

I can sit here for days typing out different programs. I won't. I can tell you this. I workout at bev francis gym. Not often, but, when I have time, I will go. If anyone in here knows anything about body building or fitness, they know bev francis gym on long island. Dorian yates, ronnie coleman, kai, victor martinez, jay cutler, etc etc the list goes on, they train here. The NY residents make it there home. Kevin english works there. so I get to see the pros train.

Yes, they are on all kinds of drugs but, when you see them train, they dont do 5 reps. They don't even do 7 reps. They go high. That low rep, heavy ass weight, is just for the photo shoot. yes they will blast the muscle at times with heavy low reps. But thats not the norm.

I have a torn shoulder so I cant body build hardcore anymore. all I can say is, I went from 150lbs to 248-252 lbs naturally. 405 flat bench, 175lb curl, leg presses maxed out, etc. and thats just body building. Not even tried to powerlift. I also dont have any GREAT genes. what do I know.

• Like 1