Seeking crossfit /encouragement

I've always wanted to try crossfit, but it just looked so intimidating. Last month a coworker told me he was thinking about joining the crossfit gym near our job. So we both signed up and did the intro sessions together. Now that we're all clear to take the actual classes, he told me that he's not going to be able to go anymore due to his current finances.

So now I have to go to my first real class by myself.

Any advice? I'm terrified. I'm scared I'm going to look weak and slow and stupid and not know how to do any of the moves. I already feel like throwing up.

Someone told me to never look at the WOD beforehand because then you won't go. But I can't help it. Tomorrow's WOD is:

9 Thrusters – 95lbs men/65lbs women

35 Double-unders

10 rounds total in as little time as possible with a 40-minute time cap.

This doesn't look as bad as other WODs that have made me chicken out. Thrusters I remember, but I'm thinking maybe just the bar with no weights. And I can't do any double-unders!

Ugh! Tips or encouragement anyone?

I've always wanted to try crossfit, but it just looked so intimidating. Last month a coworker told me he was thinking about joining the crossfit gym near our job. So we both signed up and did the intro sessions together. Now that we're all clear to take the actual classes, he told me that he's not going to be able to go anymore due to his current finances.

Any advice? I'm terrified. I'm scared I'm going to look weak and slow and stupid and not know how to do any of the moves. I already feel like throwing up.

Someone told me to never look at the WOD beforehand because then you won't go. But I can't help it. Tomorrow's WOD is:

35 Double-unders

This doesn't look as bad as other WODs that have made me chicken out. Thrusters I remember, but I'm thinking maybe just the bar with no weights. And I can't do any double-unders!

Ahh, but that's the CrossFit Open, 17.5 :laugh: You can google that to see what I mean. Tying this back to your question, I would not sweat it.

1. It's not representative of a typical CrossFit workout. This workout you have posted is harder. [Chances are your CrossFit box (like almost every other CF box) is doing the Open, where for 5 consecutive weeks a year every year about this time (this is the last week, Week 5, in year 2017 hence the designation 17.5) a new workout is announced by Dave Castro every Thursday evening 5PM Pacific US Time. The top finishers in the Open are competing for a chance to go to Regionals and then the top finish at Regionals to the actual CrossFit Games. But I digress.]

2. You can (and should) scale, both the load AND the rep scheme. Look, 90 thrusters plus all those double-unders (440 movements total) is going to mean major major soreness. Finishing means little if you can hardly walk for a week. Anyway, scaling load and rep scheme goes for this workout, and any other workout that looks too hard. If for example, the workout calls for muscle-ups and you don't have them, then do pull-ups (even banded is fine) and dips or push-ups. If the workout calls for 95-pound snatches and that is too much, then even just the 35-pound barbell is fine.

CrossFit is great, you will get into really good shape and master a bunch of movements you never thought you could. But be patient with yourself. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edited by Imajerk17
  • Author

This specific workout is harder?! Yikes! Haha, oh man , what have I gotten myself into! Thank you very much for your advice. It makes me feel a wee bit better going into it. Here goes nothing.

curiouslysearching

35 Double-unders

Just do your best...do not put too many expectations on yourself ease

into it and HAVE FUN

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So I've been to five classes now. It's humiliating and inspiring and humbling and I both love and hate it.

I know you're not supposed to compare yourself to anyone else in the class, but I can't help it. It's a bit demoralizing when you're lifting the same weight as an eight month pregnant lady in the class. (We were doing sumo deadlifts. I think I was lifting 75 lbs.)

But most of the people in the class have been cool and very encouraging. And it is so very nice to have a coach there cheering me on and correcting my form.

BTW is there a trick to doing a snatch? I can do a power snatch just fine. But it was so frustrating trying to do a regular snatch and receiving it in a low squat position. I kept tipping over I couldn't go low enough (and this was with an unloaded bar).

• Like 1
curiouslysearching
So I've been to five classes now. It's humiliating and inspiring and humbling and I both love and hate it.

I know you're not supposed to compare yourself to anyone else in the class, but I can't help it. It's a bit demoralizing when you're lifting the same weight as an eight month pregnant lady in the class. (We were doing sumo deadlifts. I think I was lifting 75 lbs.)

But most of the people in the class have been cool and very encouraging. And it is so very nice to have a coach there cheering me on and correcting my form.

BTW is there a trick to doing a snatch? I can do a power snatch just fine. But it was so frustrating trying to do a regular snatch and receiving it in a low squat position. I kept tipping over I couldn't go low enough (and this was with an unloaded bar).

I come an extremely competitive athletic environment and WE ALL COMPARE OURSELVES to our teammates or people we compete against. IT IS NATURAL. What you cannot let that comparison do is DETER you from your goals. You are beginning thus you have not conditioned body as long as some of the others have (more than likely unless you were uber fit beforehand). Maybe, you can use the comparison as MOTIVATION to be as fit or skilled as someone you see. If you cannot do a drill or lift correctly

ASK FOR SOME HELP.

I had a hard time getting this lift down when I first started too. There is a YouTube video of Chad Vaughn doing the snatch in slow motion and coaches breaking down his technique that may be helpful. It's tough to coordinate when to drop down as low as possible while still getting the bar overhead. I had a coach that would pick a point and tell me the bar doesn't go above 'X' high and its my job to get my tail under the bar haha. Also could be a balance or ankle flexibility issue as well. Maybe try stretching your ankles out and getting in a low squat when you're warming up. I used to face a wall and do OH squats with a PVC pipe as close to the wall as possible and as deep as possible. It can help you learn how to balance yourself in a deep squat and help with posture (not tipping foward and face planting into the wall :p )Glad you're liking it so far, keep up the good work!

• Like 1
  • Author
I had a hard time getting this lift down when I first started too. There is a YouTube video of Chad Vaughn doing the snatch in slow motion and coaches breaking down his technique that may be helpful. It's tough to coordinate when to drop down as low as possible while still getting the bar overhead. I had a coach that would pick a point and tell me the bar doesn't go above 'X' high and its my job to get my tail under the bar haha. Also could be a balance or ankle flexibility issue as well. Maybe try stretching your ankles out and getting in a low squat when you're warming up. I used to face a wall and do OH squats with a PVC pipe as close to the wall as possible and as deep as possible. It can help you learn how to balance yourself in a deep squat and help with posture (not tipping foward and face planting into the wall :p )Glad you're liking it so far, keep up the good work!

Thanks for all your advice! I just watched that Chad Vaughn youtube video several times. That's a thing of beauty. I'll try the OH squats close to the wall. That sounds like a good exercise to help me with form and balance.

tetrahedral
Crossfit = joke

signed,

Dedicated Bodybuilder

:D

Some people think lifting solely for the sake of appearance is a joke too. Different strokes for different folks.