What are you doing to get in shape?

TheTraveler

Since it's winter in the US, what are you doing to get in or stay in shape since it's cold outside?

Me: Workout and lift 3-4x a week

Hot yoga 3x a week

You?

• Like 1

I joined Planet Fitness & downloaded an app on my phone which keeps track of how many calories I consume.

RecentChange

It's nice outside here :)

I run a few miles (usually 3) 4-5 days a week. I do the stairs to coit tower (approximately 400 ) on my run about 3 days a week. I get out on trail runs on the weekends when the ground isn't too wet.

I horseback ride 5 days a week, and do a lot of farm chores, stacking hay bales, schelp 50 pound sacks around, winter means a lot of ditch digging and hauling wheelbarrows full of mud or gravel.

Then there is the carrying lumber around in a sand arena to set up and break down jumping courses for my horse.

I am glad we can be outdoors here. I hate being stuck in the gym (I only go when my old knee injury won't tolerate running). I like "doing stuff" rather than working out.

We have equipment at our house and hit it 3-4 times a week. The wife takes a power walk everyday for the obvious benefits but what really appeals to her is keeping her tush firm.

thefooloftheyear

My workday is physical and I am at the gym religiously 6X week(lifting)...About the only thing is Ill switch to a bit more cardio when the weather starts to break..

I don't let myself get out of shape...If anything, I train harder this time of year...Heat kicks the shyt out of me..so I don't go too nuts when its hot..

TFY

curiouslysearching

the P90X regiment along with 20 plus miles a week running

and NOT Eating too much.....

5'11" 185 at 13-14% bodyfat is about as out of shape as I get, except for the prior year where I had a very long down time because of surgery on my shoulder. I just go to the gym and run/lift/run/swim how I feel. Not too worried about any program, order of doing things or rest for growth, so long as I do everything with intensity. I can feel when I do what was needed for lifts and don't actually want my muscles to be bigger than they are already. I just want to harden up more. Looking to drop down to 170ish, get under 10% and really tighten up. It's mostly going to be a calorie cut thing. Lotta fun day-clubs (pool parties) in Vegas, feeling motivated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
TheTraveler
5'11" 185 at 13-14% bodyfat is about as out of shape as I get, except for the prior year where I had a very long down time because of surgery on my shoulder. I just go to the gym and run/lift/run/swim how I feel. Not too worried about any program, order of doing things or rest for growth, so long as I do everything with intensity. I can feel when I do what was needed for lifts and don't actually want my muscles to be bigger than they are already. I just want to harden up more. Looking to drop down to 170ish, get under 10% and really tighten up. It's mostly going to be a calorie cut thing. Lotta fun day-clubs (pool parties) in Vegas, feeling motivated!

Weight drop and fat content is key. I'll start that in May...plus it's beach season

Edited by TheTraveler

Weight training 3 - 4 days a week.

Circuit training 1 day a week.

Swim laps after every workout.

Add snowboarding to that during the winter and I stay in pretty decent shape.

curiouslysearching

That is good advice....do what works for you. Everyone has a different

body type, metabolism, etc. Find the groove that works for you and

stick to it. DON'T Forget the abs they require specialized work it is beach

time and surfing time

seekingpeaceinlove

Per week:

Physical: 2xs hot yoga, 3xs weightlifting & Cardio, 1x long hike with dog

Food: Portion control when going out to eat, trying to eat as much whole foods and lean proteins as possible.

I let myself go for last 2 years and one day decided that enough was enough. So, the journey begins!

Free weights 2x per week.

Target heart rate walking 3x per week.

Strenuous hike or, right now, serious yard work at one of my rental properties on the weekend.

Technical cave exploration whenever I can.

Lots of sex ;)

I just signed up for a managed nutrition and weights plan at the gym.

With an extremely stern and serious young man.

I will absolutely be unable to make any excuses or distract from my failings with laughter and silly jokes

Mostly because I'm not sure they programmed his model with a humour chip :bunny:

I am actually kind of terrified. In a small way. I haven't much idea of what to expect as prior to my accident I stayed in shape by just being insanely active and not giving too many ****s about what I ate as long as it was roughly adequate in nutrition

• Like 1
curiouslysearching
I just signed up for a managed nutrition and weights plan at the gym.

With an extremely stern and serious young man.

I will absolutely be unable to make any excuses or distract from my failings with laughter and silly jokes

Mostly because I'm not sure they programmed his model with a humour chip :bunny:

I am actually kind of terrified. In a small way. I haven't much idea of what to expect as prior to my accident I stayed in shape by just being insanely active and not giving too many ****s about what I ate as long as it was roughly adequate in nutrition

you are gonna do great Emily...just do the best you can and enjoy

hope you feel better soon

• Like 1
Since it's winter in the US, what are you doing to get in or stay in shape since it's cold outside?

Me: Workout and lift 3-4x a week

Hot yoga 3x a week

You?

I'm so out of shape. Right now I'm working on getting myself to the gym twice a week. I tell myself it doesn't matter if I have a simple and short workout. The goal is to get to the gym at least twice a week. I went yesterday my next day is Friday. I do want to lose some fat and gain muscle and strength but my first step is showing up.

• Like 1
curiouslysearching
I'm so out of shape. Right now I'm working on getting myself to the gym twice a week. I tell myself it doesn't matter if I have a simple and short workout. The goal is to get to the gym at least twice a week. I went yesterday my next day is Friday. I do want to lose some fat and gain muscle and strength but my first step is showing up.

you can do it Spring....take it one session at a time and do not get

discouraged...be consistent and diligent

• Like 1

About 6 months ago I brought some dumbbells to work. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, once an hour (or about 6x a day) I go through a short workout (about 5-7 minutes) with those plus pushups and standing "crunches." I have a desk job that isn't usually too demanding, so I have the time to do this most of the time. I've upped the weight twice in this time, have definitely gained muscle, changed my body shape (even my face looks better), and lost some weight (that wasn't happening at first, but I dropped some extraneous calories in the evening, and that jump started the weight loss). On Tuesday and Thursday I do other exercises on the same schedule, focusing on lower body, without using weights (but I may add some for leg lifts, etc.).

On weekends we walk, or I do intervals on the treadmill at home.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Sort of slowly rediscovering what I did 10 years ago when I was in my early mid 40's....

Started to watch my diet, starting with candy and junk food. First things first. Now I am transitioning back into calorie counting, low carb, high protein diet. Working on getting back to 2000 calories per day. The trick is to get where you can be good a week at a time, then spoil self a little bit, one or two treats one day a week as a routine.

The trick I discovered some time ago, do something active for at least 5 or 10 minutes every one or two hours, it bumps up the heart rate and metabolism for the an hour or so... so instead of say... burning 70 or 80 calories and hour, the body is revved up and burning 90 to 100 calories and hour till the next little burst of activity.

Other than that, push ups, curls, leg lifts, knee bends, toe raises, walking, hiking in national forest, hill/small mountain country.... staying active, house work, hobbies.

Yard work is an easy way to really rev up the body for a few hours.

Last time, I went from 250 lbs. to 190 lbs., was doing multiple sets of 40 to 50 push-ups...

I have a long way to go to get back to that... right now... stuck in doing two or three sets of 30 or so push-ups. Seems to be taking a lot longer to get back into shape as well. It might take me a few more weeks just to get back to doing sets of 35 to 40 push-ups...

I am a runner. I do about 6 to 7K 2 to 4 times a week. Depending on how busy and stressful work and life commitments are.

I don't like crowded gyms or running clubs. I am a loner type and like the peace and tranquility.Its sort of like meditation for me.

I usually lift six days per week and do HIIT cardio whenever. I mountain bike when I can and hike or run a couple of times a week. Low carb diet. I'm around 12% body fat at 235 pounds.

When I started losing weight, I cut out soda and refined sugars, and just started walking. I started small, a few blocks at first. The more I walked the longer I could go without needing a break. I now walk about 8 to 10 miles a day. The weight started dropping off me fast.

Now I go to the gym 4 times a week, and still do a daily walk. Mostly do cardio, and yoga at the gym. The weight is coming off me slower now because I'm building more muscle. When I started I was over 200 lbs, I now weigh 134 after a year of sticking to it! Only 14 lbs left to my goal weight, it feels amazing.

Good luck to you!!!

• Like 3