LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Any Gym dudes here?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2017, 11:13 PM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What-2-Do View Post
I can certainly help. When I started lifting years ago I was 135lbs at 5'7". I'm now around 205lbs at obviously the same height and about 9% body fat.

Building muscle takes a lot of time. If you're just starting out don't go too crazy. Learn how to lift PROPERLY before going heavy. I would spend the first few months just learning the proper dynamics. After you get that down you can start adding weight. Be careful not to go too heavy too soon because your tendons won't be strong enough yet and you risk getting injured.

You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time without "supplements" so typically you should be thinking of a bulk and cut phase. During the bulk you need to be eating CONSTANTLY. 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Stay away from cardio and just focus on eating and training. It's a slow process and if you can gain 5-15lbs of muscle PER YEAR you're doing great. Once you hit your genetic max it will be hard to gain anything beyond that.
I agree....it is also important to keep it in mind what you are training for
we trained the sport we played which entailed lots of core strength
and endurance
some might train to purely health reasons, some for appearance reasons

to me, the important thing is to do something that you enjoy and that you can stick with
curiouslysearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 9:29 PM   #32
Established Member

Like other people said everyones different and something that would work for one person wouldnt on another.

I was super thin most of my life and 6ft two, and I never exercised. Once I started working out I actually put on about 2 stone in muscle. Not so much with the workouts themselves (largely high intensity bodyweight stuff through boxing), more because my appetite shot up. I have never lifted heavy and although Im not body builder physique my arms did grow significantly (albeit from a very low base)

I started eating breakfast which I never had before. A big big bowl of porridge. That was only significant change, the rest of my diet stayed the same. Years later I looked at nutritional content of porridge and it has quite a lot of protein in it...so yeah I was supplementing my diet without realising it.

A lot of people say you cant get big doing bodyweight stuff. Fair enough it might not work for them. But it did for me, combined with just eating more.
robaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 12:02 AM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaday View Post
Like other people said everyones different and something that would work for one person wouldnt on another.

I was super thin most of my life and 6ft two, and I never exercised. Once I started working out I actually put on about 2 stone in muscle. Not so much with the workouts themselves (largely high intensity bodyweight stuff through boxing), more because my appetite shot up. I have never lifted heavy and although Im not body builder physique my arms did grow significantly (albeit from a very low base)

I started eating breakfast which I never had before. A big big bowl of porridge. That was only significant change, the rest of my diet stayed the same. Years later I looked at nutritional content of porridge and it has quite a lot of protein in it...so yeah I was supplementing my diet without realising it.

A lot of people say you cant get big doing bodyweight stuff. Fair enough it might not work for them. But it did for me, combined with just eating more.

it is very true...everyone is different and each body type is different
The key is to find what works best for you and what your ultimate goals
are....when we trained for our specific sport the goals were speed, agility,
power, endurance
for non-competitive training the goals might be for appearance reasons, weight control, stamina etc....I do think one big thing that some miss is the amount of rest and down time some bodies need
curiouslysearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 11:46 AM   #34
Established Member

I'm not a meathead, but I used to be a personal trainer (and in a little better shape). I'm 6'4" 232lbs at around 10-12% body fat (it's the craft beer, but I'd rather enjoy life).

First step is to determine your goals: Is it strength or physique?

If it's looking schredded with a 6 pack? That's just eating clean and watching your macros. Generally, your calorie intake should be split into thirds--healthy fats, protein, and complex carbs. Here's some guidance:

The 7% Body Fat Diet

But get used to being hungry all the time and running your butt off. Lol.

I think your calorie intake is spot on. Here's a meal plan based on a 2400-3000 calorie diet:

2400-3000 Calorie Meal Plan

Also, drink at least a gallon of water a day to flush your system. Seriously, you have to push it out or you will retain subcutaneous water, and it will make you look bloated.

If its strength. Do a lot deadlifts, squats, power cleans, and benches. Do lower reps with heavy weight. Give yourself sufficient rest and your going to have to up your calorie intake a bit and store some extra fat to provide you the energy to throw that weight around. But you're not going to get that beach body. You're going to like a dude named "Magnus" with a turtle shell gut because your abs and obliques are so over trained they will bulge.

But if goal is looking like an underwear model; it's all diet and cardio to keep your body fat around 7%.

Last edited by OneLov; 11th May 2017 at 11:52 AM..
OneLov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 4:34 PM   #35
Established Member

Location: With Professor Plum in the Library with the Candlestick
Someone on another thread mentioned Mike Matthew so I looked into his stuff and bought his book for women. He has a men's one too. It's basically about lifting using compound exercises (i.e., squat, bench press, dead lift) using heavy weights and low reps. I've seen a huge improvement in my muscles. I'm starting to incorporate more and more of his diet advice now too.

He says to bulk you will have to gain some fat but not as much as some sources say. A lot of it can be done with watching your macros on top of your workout.
Miss Peach is offline   Reply With Quote