LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Any Gym dudes here?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2017, 9:32 PM   #16

Thanks man. I'm hoping to be fully prepared and get started. I don't mind losing abs. I don't have any right now lol. Got some fattines on the belly.

Alot of eating and compound exercises along with good rest is the major focus.

Got a question though. In terms of the 5x5 which focuses on mostly compound excersises.. How much days a week should i go to the gym? I don't want to over train and I also don't want to under train.
montie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 2:18 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montie1 View Post
Got a question though. In terms of the 5x5 which focuses on mostly compound excersises.. How much days a week should i go to the gym? I don't want to over train and I also don't want to under train.
I'll leave it to others with more experience to opine on the overall number of days in a week.As for the compound movements? I've been working with a bodybuilding coach lately. He advised me to only perform squats and deadlifts twice per month each. I can't imagine that is popular advice. When pressed he advised that -- neurologically -- the body/brain need time to recover from the stress endured during those particular exercises.

That being said plenty of 5x5 programs are going to tell you otherwise. I say do the research and decide for yourself. I just wanted to make you aware of the opinion.

Buy a food scale if you don't have one already. Invest in pyrex containers if you aren't comfortable with storing in plastic containers (wherein the plastic can leach into your food). I buy around five pounds of chicken, dice it up, and bake it in 9x12 pans. Crockpots work great for beef. Chop up a few pounds and drop it in the crockpot before work/bed. Tunafish and hummus is a tasty combination.

You should likely be consuming one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. The more real food the better. Two servings of chicken/brown-rice/brocoli, one serving of beef, one serving of fish, one serving of eggs, and some casein protein in the morning and evening. Over and over and over. Good luck!
Mr Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 10:24 AM   #18
Established Member

I would train 5 x 5 every other day, so 3-4 days a week. Here is what worked for me.

Start light, adjust weight so you can succeed in doing all sets of 5,
Day 1, Monday

Bench Press, 5 x 5 w/135
Squat 5 x 5 w/ 185, make sure to get below parallel.
In between every set do a pullup or 2. If you can do 2 pullups, do 3. If you can only do 1 pullup, do 1 pullup. The more you practice the stronger you will get.
Barbell Row 5 x 5 w/ 135

Day 2, Wednesday
Military Press, 5 x 5 with 95. Do standing barbell. Grip should be just wider than the smooth part of the barbell
Deadlift 5 x 5 with 185
Do your pullups in between all sets
Seated or dumbbell row 5 x 5.

Day 3 Friday, repeat Day 1
Day 4, Sunday, repeat Day 2 and so forth.

When you can get all 5 sets of 5 with confidence, bump the weight up 5 or 10 lbs.

Tips, always do the upper body first. No one ever had a lousy leg workout because they did too much upper body, but the reverse has happened.

Get your form locked in. See a trainer to show you how to do this. Spend the money on a session or 2. The investment will prevent injury

Be patient, it's better to start light and keep you ego in the car. Build a track of success.

Do the pullups. Your pulling muscles will help your pressing muscles.

Throw 10 hill sprints in twice a week for conditioning, 50-100 yards.
Cali408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 1:57 PM   #19

Thank you very much. Lol I already documented like 5 pages of info on a notebook just from what you guys give me. I really appreciate the detailed threads you guys are replying. Much respect.

I enjoy the gym and my time there. Lol deadlifts are my favourite for some reason. Only exercises im not a fan of are bench presses and barbell squats. But hey. Gotta do em.

I read an article that said too much rest between sets and reps arent that good. I tend to rest atleast around 30-40, seconds now and go hard again. Get in do the work and get out is my motto.

I dont like to hang around I view it that way. Get it. Be ecplosive get it done and im out.

The mistake i did when i started the 5x5 previoulsy would be overtraining. I use to be in the gym like 5 times almost a week. Would use the program and add more things because I felt I wasn't doing enough. Come to learn I was screwing myself. So I like that schedule you made. Puts things together nicely.

Im a hindu. So i cant eat beef or pork. Everything else I can. So I'm gonna replace the beef with turkey and more fish and chicken. I'm.not sure if there's any more lean meat source I can turn to.

I've already felt a difference with the simple training i started. Just a few days ago i began doing a few things. Where i struggles doing 5 push ups i can do 10 now. My only problem is i feel tired quickly.

My change in diet and more frequent work outs should change that.
montie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 2:37 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
How much days a week should i go to the gym? I don't want to over train and I also don't want to under train.
To start out with you're probably only going to be doing 4 days a week max because you're going to be too sore to keep going. After you've put on some mass you'll have the endurance to have longer and more frequent workouts, which you could even push to 6 days a week, if you wanted to. When that happens I'd say take a rest day every fourth day.

And don't be dissuaded when after a few months you don't notice many gains. You're a skinny guy so it will be difficult for you to put on that initial base of muscle, but when you do it'll get a lot easier to gain mass.
KBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 3:50 PM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Thank you very much. Lol I already documented like 5 pages of info on a notebook just from what you guys give me. I really appreciate the detailed threads you guys are replying. Much respect.

I enjoy the gym and my time there. Lol deadlifts are my favourite for some reason. Only exercises im not a fan of are bench presses and barbell squats. But hey. Gotta do em.

I read an article that said too much rest between sets and reps arent that good. I tend to rest atleast around 30-40, seconds now and go hard again. Get in do the work and get out is my motto.

I dont like to hang around I view it that way. Get it. Be ecplosive get it done and im out.

The mistake i did when i started the 5x5 previoulsy would be overtraining. I use to be in the gym like 5 times almost a week. Would use the program and add more things because I felt I wasn't doing enough. Come to learn I was screwing myself. So I like that schedule you made. Puts things together nicely.

Im a hindu. So i cant eat beef or pork. Everything else I can. So I'm gonna replace the beef with turkey and more fish and chicken. I'm.not sure if there's any more lean meat source I can turn to.

I've already felt a difference with the simple training i started. Just a few days ago i began doing a few things. Where i struggles doing 5 push ups i can do 10 now. My only problem is i feel tired quickly.

My change in diet and more frequent work outs should change that.

If you want to get strong and lift heavier weights, your rest periods are going to need to be a lot longer. Like 2-3 minutes.
Andy_K and KBob like this.
Cali408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 3:50 PM   #22
Established Member

I would say the most underrated gym exercise and hardly anyone does it is chest/triceps dips along with pull-ups. If you can't do any of them, there are machines that assist you until you can finally do it on your own.

Look up Buff Dudes on youtube for how to do each properly
Old 21st March 2017, 10:30 AM   #23

Gym bro here.

Do wendler's 5/3/1 program. Focus on the 4 compounds and supporting work. Look up his guide on T-Nation bro.
zeeohsixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 6:29 PM   #24
Established Member

Not saying Kbob's incorrect in any way, however especially as you are a beginner I would suggest you take more than 1 days rest p/w. 2-3 maximum.

What a lot of people neglect is rest, and they believe that intensely working out each and every day is the most beneficial way in order to gain muscle mass and body weight. Although that might be true for more advanced fitness advocates, to start out you're going to need to allow your body to adjust to the fluctuation and 'new' routines that you will be implementing.

Rest days are important.
DarrenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:35 AM   #25
Established Member

Just to chime in here regarding rest between sets. You're both right. When strength training/powerlifting, where you're lifting max weight, you want to go low reps and 2-3 minutes of rest between sets. Your Type II muscles just need that to recover or you will see your ability to handle the weight in subsequent sets go down.

However, in a hypertrophy/bodybuilding scenario, where you are lifting less weight and much higher reps/sets, then ya, you actually want to minimize your rest period between sets because you're building Type I muscle fibers (endurance).

On the rest days - absolutely, you need at least 1 day of rest each time. I actually have seen my best strength gains come when the rest period is more like 2-3 days
Old 23rd March 2017, 7:27 AM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
I would say the most underrated gym exercise and hardly anyone does it is chest/triceps dips along with pull-ups. If you can't do any of them, there are machines that assist you until you can finally do it on your own.

Look up Buff Dudes on youtube for how to do each properly
For anyone who has not done them, they are difficult for most people
at first. Those were key exercises we used when we were preparing for
our seasons. I always thought they were a true representation of power
and absolute strength
curiouslysearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 5:52 AM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouslysearching View Post
For anyone who has not done them, they are difficult for most people
at first. Those were key exercises we used when we were preparing for
our seasons. I always thought they were a true representation of power
and absolute strength
I agree with you.

Dips are not a problem at all. Pull-ups give me trouble and this all correlates with how I've been lifting the past three months.
TheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 6:13 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
The Internet's a crazy place man. I'm getting so much mixed information.

I want to put on some muscle. I'm 6'1 and about 150 pounds. I want to put on some muscle. I'm a really small eater but im working on eating more and drinking more water and everything.

What I don't know is how to start putting on some muscle without gaining any fat. I know I will put on some but I don't want to get like bulky you know. I would like to lean out as I go. I already have some fat around my tummy area a good bit of fat actually.

My previous job was pretty much sitting all day and i never exercised so i got a little fat there.

Im still in a skinny frame though. Because of my height.

I know i need around 2700 + calories. Also is 5*5 strength program something good to start.? To gain strentgh and get comfortable lifting.

So much people has different ideas im confused a bit. A friend of mine has a personal gym . there's no trainers there for me to ask. The up side is its free .

I'm also doing a little training to become a police officer. So everyday I do a little push ups and sit ups. Like a mile run also.

Can I do all this and still put on muscle ( with the 5x5 program) and 2700+ calories.
Yeah, there are as many workout and fitness regimens as there are people who practice them. I find it most useful to follow popular general guidelines and principles, and then experiment with the rest until I figure out how to meet my needs over time.

I think you can definitely put on some muscle and still do cardio/burn fat. I have a thin-average build and so struggle with a similar issue to yours. I typically do 4-5 days a week in the gym for 75 minutes a piece. I find that doing mostly free weight training works for me, and once or twice a week I'll do a 25 minute walk at moderate pace on an inclined treadmill and then hit my abs for 15 minutes afterward. When I don't hit the treadmill then I find I get a little less defined in the midsection, even when I still do abs. Proper food and sleep also affects me greatly.

I also dance about 4 nights a week and for several hours at a time, so I burn a lot of calories in the evening (sometimes as many as 1600 in a single night!). It has only mild-moderate impact on my muscle. As long as I'm pumping iron, I won't never have muscle. Maybe a little less of it, but it's not bad. So you can definitely do cardio and keep muscle.

In sum: Exercise as early in the day as possible between 60-90 minutes on a regimen that is tailored to your needs. Eat super healthy in the right amounts and at the right times during the day. Drink lots of water. Get enough sleep. That's it.

Last edited by TunaInTheBrine; 8th April 2017 at 6:15 PM..
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 7:39 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaInTheBrine View Post
Yeah, there are as many workout and fitness regimens as there are people who practice them. I find it most useful to follow popular general guidelines and principles, and then experiment with the rest until I figure out how to meet my needs over time.

I think you can definitely put on some muscle and still do cardio/burn fat. I have a thin-average build and so struggle with a similar issue to yours. I typically do 4-5 days a week in the gym for 75 minutes a piece. I find that doing mostly free weight training works for me, and once or twice a week I'll do a 25 minute walk at moderate pace on an inclined treadmill and then hit my abs for 15 minutes afterward. When I don't hit the treadmill then I find I get a little less defined in the midsection, even when I still do abs. Proper food and sleep also affects me greatly.

I also dance about 4 nights a week and for several hours at a time, so I burn a lot of calories in the evening (sometimes as many as 1600 in a single night!). It has only mild-moderate impact on my muscle. As long as I'm pumping iron, I won't never have muscle. Maybe a little less of it, but it's not bad. So you can definitely do cardio and keep muscle.

In sum: Exercise as early in the day as possible between 60-90 minutes on a regimen that is tailored to your needs. Eat super healthy in the right amounts and at the right times during the day. Drink lots of water. Get enough sleep. That's it.
Burn those calories and keep that body in motion
curiouslysearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 8:01 PM   #30
Established Member

I can certainly help. When I started lifting years ago I was 135lbs at 5'7". I'm now around 205lbs at obviously the same height and about 9% body fat.

Building muscle takes a lot of time. If you're just starting out don't go too crazy. Learn how to lift PROPERLY before going heavy. I would spend the first few months just learning the proper dynamics. After you get that down you can start adding weight. Be careful not to go too heavy too soon because your tendons won't be strong enough yet and you risk getting injured.

You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time without "supplements" so typically you should be thinking of a bulk and cut phase. During the bulk you need to be eating CONSTANTLY. 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Stay away from cardio and just focus on eating and training. It's a slow process and if you can gain 5-15lbs of muscle PER YEAR you're doing great. Once you hit your genetic max it will be hard to gain anything beyond that.
What-2-Do is offline   Reply With Quote