How much does weight fluctuate?

Frustratingly I lost 2.5kg (5lbs) since new year.

But put back 1kg (2lbs) of it in a week. Have still been exercising and using [a calorie counter and journal].

Is this just a fluctuation? is it normal to go down, up rather than down down?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Redact reference to commercial site

yes weight fluctuates. How much depends on the person.

[]

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Reference to other forum redacted.

2 lbs is a fluctuation that you can see within a day - means nothing. E.g. measure yourself before and after drinking few glasses of water.

5 lbs is probably beyond the day-to-day fluctuation but it is still not very meaningful. If will mean something if you record this weight 7 days in a row, and compare the average with your averaged measurements from before.

It is still not unheard of to fluctuate 5 lbs - e.g. you can 'gain' 5 lbs in the week before your menstrual period (especially if your total weight is not small), and 'lose' it in the week of your period. It is water retention in fact.

Calculate fluctuations as a percent of your total weight - e.g. 5 lbs on 200 lbs person is not visible, on 100 lbs person the same 5 lbs will show up.

Frustratingly I lost 2.5kg (5lbs) since new year.

But put back 1kg (2lbs) of it in a week. Have still been exercising and using myfitnesspal.

Is this just a fluctuation? is it normal to go down, up rather than down down?

• Like 1

Considering water weighs a bit over 8lbs per gallon, pretty easy to gain or lose a couple pounds in short period due to water retention or expulsion. The body is about 60% water by weight.

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

2 pounds is very little. A liter of water is 2 pounds so I would just consider that noise and well within the normal fluctuation of a day let alone a week.

I guess the bigger question, would be (assuming that you are trying to lose weight) how come you aren't dropping any pounds despite counting your calories and exercising.

Not everyone has the same metabolism resting or exercising. If you are consistently finding that your weight stays the same, then you may need to adjust your #'s a bit for your resting metabolism. And either drop your calories or increase your exercise to match.

But be careful because our body is very good at self preservation. If you cut your calories too low, it puts itself into starvation mode, and shuts down to lower it's metabolism.

You might be at a point, where it's worth going to see a nutritionist, armed with all of the data you have to get an expert opinion.

thefooloftheyear
2 lbs is a fluctuation that you can see within a day - means nothing. E.g. measure yourself before and after drinking few glasses of water.

5 lbs is probably beyond the day-to-day fluctuation but it is still not very meaningful. If will mean something if you record this weight 7 days in a row, and compare the average with your averaged measurements from before.

It is still not unheard of to fluctuate 5 lbs - e.g. you can 'gain' 5 lbs in the week before your menstrual period (especially if your total weight is not small), and 'lose' it in the week of your period. It is water retention in fact.

Calculate fluctuations as a percent of your total weight - e.g. 5 lbs on 200 lbs person is not visible, on 100 lbs person the same 5 lbs will show up.

Right....

As a 230 lb fit/active guy, if I weigh myself before bed, then the same the next morning, I am generally 2-5 lbs less in the AM...And some people think that nothing happens when you are sleeping...Sure, as I hydrate and eat, that balances...

But unless you are the size of an average house cat, you can't stress over fluctuations of minor amounts of weight...If you don't have a really high end scale, It could even easily be built in lack of repeatability of your scale..Just look at the numbers over time...

And dont rely too heavily on the scale anyway...Gauge your losses by how your clothes fit and what you look like in the mirror..

TFY

• Like 2

If you're concerned about the accuracy of the reading then take several measurements a day. Ideally one in the morning before breakfast/shower and then one at night. Average the two. Get a sample size of a month.

There are so many variables that can impact weight but usually a few pounds in fluctuation over a short period of time is water weight.

• 2 weeks later...
There are so many variables that can impact weight but usually a few pounds in fluctuation over a short period of time is water weight.

Agree completely. You can't put on 2 lbs of fat or muscle in a week. The only way to do that is water weight. I weigh 175 lbs. I'm lightest in the morning and heaviest before I go to bed. My weight easily fluctuates 5 lbs a day. If it gets stuck at 5 lbs heavy for more than a day it is diet related like salt consumption. Just stay consistent with diet and exercise (in that order) and you'll get where you want to go.

Yes, your weight will fluctuate.

If I measured fasted i get one weight. If i measured after breakfast and beverage i weigh another 4 lbs. I try to weigh myself at the same time everyday.

Alas, i do believe the mirror is better than the scale. You can tell when you need to lose.