Any emotional eaters out there?

Hi all. I was wondering, is anyone else on here an emotional eater? I don't really struggle too much with having junk food around the house because I am not home a lot, but my weakness is fast food.

Anytime I am feeling down, for some reason going and getting fast food always makes me feel better. I think this stems from the horrible breakup I went through last year, because I was really healthy prior to this. Also maybe just a memory thing....last year was my senior year of college, and my roomies/best friends and I would always go and get Chick Fil A together and watch our favorite shows together. I think I now associate it with happiness and comfort..

I work for an advertising agency now, and things get so crazy and stressful here. By the time I finally, if ever, am able to leave for the day, I often find myself swinging through the drive through or popping a frozen pizza in the oven cause I'm too tired to cook.

I've tried to counter this by having healthy snacks around the house. I've stocked my fridge with fruits and veggies, have a green shake most mornings, yet those cravings still get to me.

Any tips on how to break this habit? I'm doing my best to live a healthier lifestyle and replace these bad tendencies with something healthy and productive, but it's tough.

Michelle ma Belle

I think the key is being mindful of your eating, good and bad.

You seem to be quite aware of what you're doing and the triggers that cause you to run to the drive thru. Looking at it from my perspective it doesn't sound like this is something you're doing obsessively several times a day, every day, to the point where you're gaining weight at a rapid speed.

Breaking free from emotional eating is really just about being uber aware of your emotions first and foremost and then recognizing how you cope. It's also about being proactive rather than reactive like stocking your fridge with fruits and veg and making your lunches in advances so you don't have to think about it etc. Things you're already doing.

The other VERY important piece is if/when you do cave into temptation and feed your anxiety with food, do NOT berate yourself about it. Recognize what's happened and try and find the joy in whatever it is you're eating, savor it, enjoy it, remind yourself that it's okay and that you'll do better tomorrow. The minute you start looking at it as bad or evil or labeling yourself as weak and undisciplined is when you set yourself up for further failure. Flipping it on it's head takes away it's power and that is where you'll find success.

Good luck.

Edited by Michelle ma Belle
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Order a modest amount, for example one sandwich. Eat only half of it, and throw the rest away. In time, you'll realize that you're wasting money, and that'll help you stop getting food that's feeding an emotional craving rather than a biological need.

Eating prepared food rather than cooking for yourself isn't a bad thing, especially when you're tired. Eating when you're not hungry or food that's unhealthy is a bad thing. I think you should separate the two and deal with the one that's a problem.

If I cook a simple meal, then the time from when I begin to assemble the ingredients and cooking tools to when I have finished washing the dishes, pots and utensils is usually about 2 hours. There's no flaw in wanting to use the 2 hours for something else on a worknight, especially if you'd be cooking only for yourself. Just don't use that evening time watching television or doing work e-mail.

Maybe eat a small fast food mean and then use the saved non-cooking time for exercise, which will also help you separate work from the rest of life and give you a healthy boost.

• 3 weeks later...
curiouslysearching

Staying active seems to help a lot of people when it

comes to eating habits....less idle time equates to

less time thinking about food.....having hobbies is

a big key in my view to staying away from boredom

and sitting around

(((courtneykay)))

I so relate to your post! I would really appreciate it if you would read some of this from a post I started last year: -

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/mind-body-soul/self-improvement-personal-well-being/587165-i-am-physical-mess-after-my-affair-need-turn-around

Completely my fault because I was an idiot and had an affair. Once the affair was over, I swapped it for junk food (and cigs, alcohol, etc).

I am doing much better now and I know you will too. I turned my addiction to junk to an obsession with watching my diet and monitoring my progress with weight loss, etc. But I am trying to be less addictive/obsessive in general and just do everything in moderation!

Sorry you had a bad time last year. I'm sure you'll get to a good place soon and I wish you all the best. Good luck and keep posting.

Good luck