How can I gain weight? (underweight BMI)

LordMacharius

I have been skinny and small my entire life, well small as in thin. I am above average in height than most people in this area, or anywhere for that matter since I am 6'4.

So how much can I really weigh? 160? 150? Nope a measly 120-125 pounds. My BMI is 15.2. I haven't been to a doctor recently since I never really have any health problems. I hate looking at myself in the mirror, especially sideways. I am currently single and wouldn't really want to get naked in front of anyone in the first place. You can see how this affects me with dating in general, I don't look ugly, but honestly so many women just don't really give the extremely skinny guy much attention. Fat women and men worry about not being seen as sexy, but don't realize the opposite end is just as bad.

There are plenty of resources on how to lose weight, but the resources of how to gain it are limited.

People like to jest and say "I bet you weigh 80 pounds" and then when I tell them they are wrong they insist on knowing the right weight, which then I just lie and tell them "I don't know, I haven't weighed myself in awhile"

Someone will say things like "just eat". WOAH! Sherlock has solved the mystery! I NEVER eat! That must be my problem right? Nope I eat just as much as everyone else. I can't really over eat however since my household is poor and we can't really afford to buy a big bulk of food, and I don't think binge eating on cheap processed food is a good idea either.

My parents just say "just wait a few years, you will fill out." Thanks mom, I totally want to be trapped in this frail body for years upon years till I "fill out". I have never heard a overweight person be told "just wait a few years, you will lose it all".

I just don't know what to do, and my biggest fear about this is that there is nothing I CAN do, which means I will just be stuck like this, and women or anyone really will see me and go "ewww...why is he so skinny? Is he anorexic?" I mean crap, the girl I currently have a crush on is almost a foot shorter than me, and certainly probably weighs more. I have seen her ex, and he was a really big guy of fat, so either she is into that sort of thing, or likes bigger guys and that doesn't really help me talk to her.

Edited by LordMacharius
Left some details out and fixed typos

How old are you? If you are under 25, listen to your mom she is right you will fill out. My son is 6'2 at 18 and he's had the same issue, with rapid gain in height he was underweight, he's just in the last week managed to get his BMI to 18.5. where as a few weeks ago it was 17.

Most guy's do fill out between 18 and 25. My older son was a slim midget until he turned 17, then he grew upwards and outwards all at once, he's quite stocky now at 23.

Someone will say things like "just eat". WOAH! Sherlock has solved the mystery! I NEVER eat! That must be my problem right? Nope I eat just as much as everyone else. I can't really over eat however since my household is poor and we can't really afford to buy a big bulk of food, and I don't think binge eating on cheap processed food is a good idea either.

What DO you eat though? What is your daily food intake look like? Do you have an idea of how many calories a day you are consuming?

For adding weight it is ESSENTIAL that you intake a good amount of protein, plus fats and carbs. While you are right, binging on junk food is a terrible idea - but you DO need to feed your tall frame, and fast / growing metabolism. You aren't going to "fill out" unless you feed your body. You will only gain muscle if you have an abundance of calories and protein in your diet.

So first, tell us what you DO eat, and perhaps we can give you some ideas. As far as eating on a budget - consider:

EGGS! high in protein, calorie dense, they also include a good amount of fat. A dozen eggs averages $1.50, and I often find deals on 18 or 24 packs.

Beans - dry beans tend to be quite affordable, and are a good source of carbs and protein.

Canned Tuna - can often be found for less than a $1 a can - get the oil packed rather than the water packed for extra calories.

Peanut Butter - not very cheap, but can be found on sale in and bulk. Super calorie dense.

A BMI of 15.2 is extremely low - considered dangerously low. Your body needs a minimum fat content in order to process vitamins etc properly.

Edited by RecentChange
thefooloftheyear

Despite what some may say, there actually may not be anything you can do...There was a guy that worked for me some years ago, that was probably 5'10" and ....maybe 125/130...He ate pizza, junk food, good food, whatever..I even gave him some of my protein mix and instructed him to mix it with ice cream and whole milk( I use skim and no ice cream)...Nope...no gain....He ate constantly as well....he had very thin wrists...smaller than most petite women I have seen...I just think genetically, that's the hand he was dealt....But he did have a long term gf and she was probably 145/150 lbs or so...So you aren't doomed...

What do the men in your family look like??

That aside, you should at the least have a full and comprehensive blood workup to verify that there isn't an endocrine, pituitary, or other hormonal problem...

At least try and lift some weights...DON'T do isolation movements like all ill informed people do...Compound and basic movements...Military press, bench, deadlift, squat, row, etc...Even if you dont have much muscle mass, if you just fill out a bit, it may make a noticeable difference, especially if you have a very lean physique to begin with..

Don't get down about it...If you are healthy and sound, then accept that perhaps its the way you were genetically made up...Nothing should be so hard that it is truly an inconvenience and bother to your life.....And if you learn anything, be happy with yourself... Trying to create an image for the opposite gender(when you don't have it in you-or its extremely difficult) wont work in the long run...It never does...

Good luck...

TFY

• Like 1

Look, I went from 145 to 250lbs all natural. I don't have special genetics. I keep hearing people tell me, oh you have no idea how much I eat. I eat all day. when I finally sit down with them and they write down what they eat all day, I laugh. Guy at my job is 125 and started working out. he claims he eats like an animal. At work I watch him eat. and its nothing. what you may think is a lot, I bet its not that much and you have to double the caloric intake. The only way to grow is food and a stimulant. Meaning weights. Its science. Unless you have a disease, your body is forced to grow when you give it calories it can't use up and by adding weights, it also forces the body to grow because the body thinks its a threat. Because it senses the body is being under attack and it feels overloaded, it grows muscles to make it easier the next time it encounters that stress. The body is lazy. It will grow.

I have been skinny and small my entire life, well small as in thin. I am above average in height than most people in this area, or anywhere for that matter since I am 6'4.

So how much can I really weigh? 160? 150? Nope a measly 120-125 pounds. My BMI is 15.2. I haven't been to a doctor recently since I never really have any health problems.

I think a trip to the doctor would not go amiss ASAP as BMI of 15.2 is classified as severely underweight and puts you at risk of suffering health effects associated with being underweight. If you are eating a good diet, then you need to be investigated as to why you are not a healthy weight.

BMI 15.2 - gives you a list of foods you may want to try, but suggests you try to gain weight gradually as your body will need time to recover from the effects of being underweight.

• Author
LordMacharius
Do you lift weights? If not try it.

I have been lifting with my friend recently but fell out of routine due to work and school. I did get my lifting strength to be the same as my weight, and my arms look slightly bigger and toned, but it didn't do anything for my weight.

I haven't been keeping exact track of what I do eat recently, but its not many vegetables and fruits even though I love those. Mostly meat and grain products.

Also one thing to mention is I don't feel hungry often unless I eat at the point in the day constantly. I could sit on my ass all day, or work all day and still not be hungry for hours upon hours. In fact if I didn't force myself I could literally go a day without eating much but something small. Working out for a extended period of time usually makes me hungry however.

Well going long periods of time without eating won't do you any good, and will do you a great deal of harm. Your body will littterally break down your muscle tissue and use it for fuel. Given your dangerously low BMI, I bet this is currently happening.

Meat and carbs... what and how much!?

You should be consuming an excess of 3,000 calories a day. You should be eating a LOT of food.

Like 12 eggs (950 Cal's), multiple cups of cooked rice and beans. Large portions of meat - and yes of course vegis and fruits because you need the nutrients.

Whole milk would be a good idea too - several cups a day worth.

You must feed your body. Lifting without FUEL is not going to do you any good.

This isn't just about looks, you are at an extremely unhealthy weight. You need to eat even if you don't feel like it, or don't feel hungry.

BMI is a very poor indicator of a healthy body weight.

My 17yo daughter has a BMI of around 14.5 and she's perfectly healthy. She's got good colour, more than adequate bust size, is rarely sick and certainly doesn't look gaunt like someone who has an eating disorder. She was born thin, was a skinny child and is now a skinny young adult. She's never had a doctor raise concern about her weight.

On the other hand, my son is 15.4 and significantly underweight. He looks unhealthy. He has a poor diet and limited exercise due to a disability. The doctor has him on a high fat diet.

What I'm getting at is if you look healthy and feel healthy and your doctor isn't concerned, don't worry about the actual BMI.

Oh, and my daughter got a part time job at a bakery and has put on 2kg since she started. Perhaps there's an answer for you.

• Author
LordMacharius
BMI is a very poor indicator of a healthy body weight.

My 17yo daughter has a BMI of around 14.5 and she's perfectly healthy. She's got good colour, more than adequate bust size, is rarely sick and certainly doesn't look gaunt like someone who has an eating disorder. She was born thin, was a skinny child and is now a skinny young adult. She's never had a doctor raise concern about her weight.

On the other hand, my son is 15.4 and significantly underweight. He looks unhealthy. He has a poor diet and limited exercise due to a disability. The doctor has him on a high fat diet.

What I'm getting at is if you look healthy and feel healthy and your doctor isn't concerned, don't worry about the actual BMI.

Oh, and my daughter got a part time job at a bakery and has put on 2kg since she started. Perhaps there's an answer for you.

Well I don't care about the BMI as much as I care about actual physical weight, and the fact I look only a few steps above a concentration camp survivor. The main difference being is my muscles aren't wasted away completely, and I DO have body fat. Okay maybe that was a hyperbole, but you get my point.

Edited by LordMacharius

Start taking in healthy fats.

Seeds: flax, chia, sunflower, hemp, pumpkin, sesame.

Nuts: Brazil, almonds, cashews, etc.

Organic eggs.

Organic meat.

Wild-caught fish, such as sardines and anchovies.

Oils: olive, coconut, hemp seed, flax seed, coconut

Butters: organic butter, coconut, pumpkin, sesame (tahini), almond

Avocados. Beans/legumes.

You don't feel hungry for hours, and you are having trouble gaining weight. The following suspects come to mind:

1) low stomach acid level

2) hormonal imbalances

3) low zinc/other nutrient deficiencies

4) candida

5) parasites

6) dysbiosis (more bad bacteria vs. good bacteria in your gut)

Edited by sooshi

It's not really a matter of just eating. It's a matter of what you eat too. Honestly if you're not well off I recommend a protein shake several times a day. You get a lot of nutrition for your money by having 2-3 of those a day as well as your regular meals. You'll increase your caloric intake as well as providing your body fuel for building muscle rather than just storing fat.

• 2 weeks later...
Jump Through Loops

I was so skinny when I was younger my school nickname was 'Belsen' (look it up, you'll get the idea). I left school weighing around 105lbs and only reached 120lbs when I was in my late 20's.

I used to eat like a horse, it made no difference whatsoever. The only thing that made a difference was time, getting older. In fact, I'm now attempting to lose weight at the age of 55.

Me? you want me to take my top off in public? No chance in hell will I do that! I was the guy whom would go to the beach and remain fully clothed.

I'm with you, OP. I've been there, done it, and got the certificate in being young and skinny. It was painful, hurtful, embarrassing and there was sod all I could do about it other than wait for time to do its job. Just like my Mother said it would.

Also, WHEN you meet Miss Right, she won't give a jot about your weight because she'll love you for who you are inside as well as out. I promise you that.

You are what they call an ectomorph (bean pole) look it up and you may get some good ideas of the proper ratio of protein, carbs and fat you require to make gains.

And yea, gotta agree with everyone else who says with time....comes weight!

Yep, classic ectomorph. I was/am one too. I don't know your age, but theres a fair chance you're younger than me (nearly 50). I'm 5'10" and now weigh 180lbs.

Its tough for us ecto's to get anywhere near the classic male shape but it -can- be done. I'm going speak on things you don't want to hear given your responses so far - I'm not having a go at you mind, but a lot of the advice given already is actually spot on and you need to embrace it if you want to gain some weight and get some shape.

Firstly, why are you this way? Classic ecto's are genetically predisposed to this thin and light body type. Generally speaking, assuming caloric intake is sufficient, your metabolism is probably running very high, this bit is genetic. Its why you can eat essentially anything, junk food, good food, whatever, and still remain thin. Your body just burns it up even though you might spend all your life at a school desk or watching TV.

To a large extent, the more you eat the higher your metabolism will go. You might sometimes develop a thin layer of fat, but not much.

What to do? Well, you've simply got to eat more, a -lot- more. Responders here have already covered this off pretty well. Most body building magazines and general advice is not geared towards ecto's though and will stress low fat foods - this advice is mainly directed at endomorphs, who have to constantly watch out for putting on fat ... or at competition body builders who already have size and want/need to keep their body fat below 7-10%.

This is -not- you. You need to pull in calories as often and in as big a quantity as you can stomach without feeling sick. Don't trim the fat from your steaks, eat the skin from chicken, drink whole milk, etc, etc. This will overcome 60% of the problem, you need to consume calories far in excess of your metabolisms ability to simply burn off.

Why?

Because you're going to need these calories for the next step which is the remaining 40% of the problem.

The gym. Don't approach this half heartedly. Place the gym secondmost in your list of things that need to get done, second only behind eating. Whilst you must eat, a lot, and every single day, you should only go to the gym 3 times a week, up to four if you really must, but certainly no more.

Again, this goes against the advice most sources will talk about. The reason, and its particularly important when you're starting out, is that if you don't feed in and retain enough calories then you, as an ectomorph, will overtrain very very easily ... very easily! When this happens you will start to break down the muscle you already have ... you'll get smaller! You will also feel awful, painful.

When you're in the gym, work as heavy as you comfortably can, without injury (more in a moment) and for a relatively short time. No gym marathons for you. Again, reason is you will easily overtrain and your body will break down. You will get a feel for this after a couple of years and workload can change and increase as you get stronger, but initially, I'd recommend 30-40 minutes maximum, 3 times a week.

Go heavy. Don't go near the walking machines or the bikes or any other cardio equipment. You're metabolism is already running hot. You need to hit the weight machines. I say machines here because again, initially, they can help you to not injure yourself. Free weights are important, but later, when you have some muscle and can control the weights more easily. In the beginning, go the machines, back, chest, biceps, triceps, all the major leg muscles (do NOT forget your legs ...). Don't worry about the minor muscle groups at this stage, point training is for body builders who are finely sculpting and needn't concern you at this point. Your minor muscle groups will naturally come into play as you mess with the big groups and heavy weights.

Now, heavy weights. Be careful. Ecto's generally have light frames and are easily damaged. Be extremely careful. You need to work with weight that feels heavy to you, but not ridiculously so. Be particularly careful of the potential for rotator cuff injury (shoulder socket). Ecto's as a group tend to have underdeveloped shoulders and slight chests. Too heavy weight early, during shoulder or chest work, will see you gain an injury that can literally take years to overcome. So, heavy, but be careful. I'd recommend working your way up to being able to do 50 pushups, hands wide, as these will help develop your chest and shoulders in a way that shouldn't cause you injury.

Good luck! Feel free to ask further - I've been down this road you are on including the insecurity that many of us can feel because of it.

I mean crap, the girl I currently have a crush on is almost a foot shorter than me, and certainly probably weighs more. I have seen her ex, and he was a really big guy of fat, so either she is into that sort of thing, or likes bigger guys and that doesn't really help me talk to her.

Or maybe she doesn't really care that much about looks. Maybe she actually prefers a more wiry guy, but she dated a bigger guy because she liked his personality. Don't sell yourself short.

I say this as a woman who doesn't really care too much if a guy is skinny.

Lots of great advice here.

In regards to the advice to eat... you should make a food diary to get a sense of your actual caloric intake, and where those calories are coming from. For lots of reasons, it is easy for people to misjudge what they eat. I suspect that, based upon your comments here, you are not getting NEARLY enough calories. I think having a diary will give you perspective. Once you know how many calories you are eating, then you will better understand how much you will need to eat if you want to put on weight.

When I went through the trouble of making a food diary, I was amazed. In my case, it was not that I wasn't getting enough calories - I was amazed at how many carbs I was eating, and how little protein

• Like 1