Wisdom teeth extraction

Hi all, I am from Toronto and I am new here. I planned to get my wisdom teeth extraction in the next week (all the 4 wisdom teeth) from a clinic in Spruce Grove. The dentist said that my two front teeth are weak as they had enamel loss. So he recommended crowns for those teeth. I am scared to do such a big deal in my mouth within a short period of time:(. I have scheduled an appointment with the dentist on this Friday to know more regarding this. Have any of you undergone such a situation? What about the pain? I need your suggestions, please.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed URL

Is the extraction necessary?

I know so many people who have had their wisdom teeth extracted for seemingly trivial reasons. Some we just told adults needed to have them removed.

I always wondered if that were true. I feel wisdom teeth must have some purpose.

I take good care of my teeth and I'm determined to keep all of them. I want to be that one skeleton with all 32 teeth. :D

• Like 3
Is the extraction necessary?

I take good care of my teeth and I'm determined to keep all of them. I want to be that one skeleton with all 32 teeth. :D

In most cases, they're coming in at a forward angle, and crowding the rest of the teeth, especially in small mouths. But yes, OP, I'd want a second opinion, unless they are truly impacted.

As for the crowns, having just gotten my first, I could say it would have been nice to have the tooth ground down while still asleep. Placement of the permanent crowns later is the easy part.

Good luck!

@MKD. I only had my lower wisdom teeth come in (impacted, of course). I read that it's an evolutionary thing that allows more space for larger brains. Interestingly, my husband only had his uppers come in. We're a couple of half wits!

• Like 2

Never had the crowns, but had 2 of my wisdom teeth extracted (impacted).

The pain was really not bad at all. As long as you opt for the twilight sedation along with local anaesthesia for the op itself, and then take your painkillers on schedule after that and adhere to dietary guidelines.

• Like 1
Hi all, I am from Toronto and I am new here. I planned to get my wisdom teeth extraction in the next week (all the 4 wisdom teeth) from a clinic in Spruce Grove. The dentist said that my two front teeth are weak as they had enamel loss. So he recommended crowns for those teeth. I am scared to do such a big deal in my mouth within a short period of time:(. I have scheduled an appointment with the dentist on this Friday to know more regarding this. Have any of you undergone such a situation? What about the pain? I need your suggestions, please.

I had it done years ago. I got an abscess on an impacted wisdom tooth, which is pretty unpleasant.

The most disgusting part of it, I have to say, is that when I first started coming round from the general anaesthetic I kept swallowing what I thought was saliva. Then I realised it was blood, which made me sick. So make sure you ask nursing staff to give you something to spit in when you come round.

For several days I had difficulty eating, and generally just sipped liquids. You'll be fine with smoothies, that sort of thing. My face was pretty badly swollen and I'd say it took a couple of weeks for the swelling to go right down. The stitches came out on their own, in the course of teeth cleaning sessions.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed URL in quoted post ~6
  • Like 1
I had it done years ago. I got an abscess on an impacted wisdom tooth, which is pretty unpleasant.

The most disgusting part of it, I have to say, is that when I first started coming round from the general anaesthetic I kept swallowing what I thought was saliva. Then I realised it was blood, which made me sick. So make sure you ask nursing staff to give you something to spit in when you come round.

For several days I had difficulty eating, and generally just sipped liquids. You'll be fine with smoothies, that sort of thing. My face was pretty badly swollen and I'd say it took a couple of weeks for the swelling to go right down. The stitches came out on their own, in the course of teeth cleaning sessions.

Shudder shudder. Had a similar experience recently....

OP. If they need to come out, probably best. Get a second opinion if not sure.

I have a crown but i am not a fan. As Gloria pointed out...Grinding down whats left of your tooth is not nice.

Teeth just prove intelligent design is nonsense.....(Oops)

Good luck.

• Like 2
Shudder shudder. Had a similar experience recently....

OP. If they need to come out, probably best. Get a second opinion if not sure.

I have a crown but i am not a fan. As Gloria pointed out...Grinding down whats left of your tooth is not nice.

Teeth just prove intelligent design is nonsense.....(Oops)

Good luck.

Sorry i meant Midwest.....

• Like 3

Hey, OP! Welcome to the forums! I'm from Toronto, too! :)

I've also had my wisdom teeth extracted (back when I was a teenager). If I experienced any pain afterwards, it was very minimal, and I didn't need to take anything for it.

I'm not sure about the crowns, but I'd also get a second opinion just in case you might not really need them.

A good bone formula supplement can be helpful in strengthening your bones/enamel, as they are connected.

• Like 1