Belly Fat,,, how to get rid of it?

I exercise almost everyday, got my fitbit to count the calories and steps and I am on my fitness pal, so I am calculating my calories and all, but i need more effective ways, not tricks, but serious ways or exercises to eventually get rid of the belly fat.

Truth to be told, I don't do any abs workouts, because from what I have heard from other trainers, they claim they do not really help and what you eat what matters.

Your trainers have also probably told you that you can't spot weight loss. The weight comes off your whole body in whatever order it likes.

How long have you been training for?

Keeping track of your exercise and caloric intake is a good idea. I've found it helps me analye what I've done and decide how to improve.

When I faced that problem, I found that I was eating too many calories. Putting myself at a slight calorie deficit and intermittent fasting helped tremendously.

I don't know what your diet is like, but you could consider increasing protein and lowering carbs and sugar. Increasing fiber also.

Wouldn't try to spot reduce, but focus on increasing overall fitness. Aerobic exercise can help lose belly fat, but I think increasing muscle mass helps to keep it off long-term.

• Like 1

I think genes has a lot to do with it too. My mother and her sisters and I all have flabby stomachs no matter what we eat. Depending on where your ancestors originated, some people naturally store more abdominal fat which biologically serves as energy to enable them to endure cold seasons when food is scarce/famine.

• Like 2

The secret to loosing belly fat is simple. Stop eating sugar and saturated fat. With moderate exercising involving endurance training (like running, cycling or swimming) you Will eventually loose it. Belly fat is essentially your body storing what it doesent need, and fat doesn't transform into muscles.

• Like 2

I agree, get rid of wheat for a couple of months and see what happens.

I also agree that working your abs is not going to get rid of the fat, but good strong abs won't hurt. I'm excited to say that, at 46 yrs old, I have strong hard abs for the first time in my life and it's from sprinting, which I love. Sprinting is also supposed to be a good fat burner, but the truth is that I have a good amount of fat sitting on top of my impressive abs. But I still think I look better with them than without that definition.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Weight training works best-mix in some cardio.........But if you are going to weight train(or are already) learn proper form and intensity....Yes, even "professional" trainers don't have a clue in some of these areas(not saying that's the case with anyone in particular)..

Belly fat could even be caused by hormonal imbalances...If you don't resolve that, then that's going to thwart your progress as well..

I won't mention diet because really....its obvious.....But be prepared that there is also the possibility that genetically (without killing yourself) you will really never lose the belly fat...I've seen some pretty "thin" people(both men and women) with horrible looking mid sections...Probably look into a surgical procedure at that point but there are risks and costs to be considered..

Good luck...

TFY

• Like 1

as a woman a like a tight belly with a layer of fat on it. not too much, just a layer. <3 so keep doing what you re doing, dont worry about that bit of fat if it's just a layer.

• Like 1
T-16bullseyeWompRat

Go on a backpacking trip with me (or a friend haha). I promise you will see results. On the trail you burn somewhere in the 500-600 calorie per hour range. I'm on the trail for a about 8 hours a day. Do something like 8-12 miles typically. But the work isn't done there. Then you have to set up camp. Collect and process fire wood. And other general camp chores. In bed at 10pm, back up at 6am. Eat a little oatmeal, pack up camp, and you're back on the trail by 8am. Hike until about 4pm, set up. Do the whole thing all over again. 4 days 3 nights of that, you will be tightening your belt another knotch to keep your pants up.

Then you just have to maintain the weight at home which you are on the right path to do so.

• Like 3

Running up and down the stairs burns fat fast. (At one point I became underweight without realising within 3 weeks!)

• Like 2

Lift heavy weights. Eat to support muscle growth. Grow more muscles, however long it takes (chest/legs/back/..whole body....not bicep curls everyday). Then cut back on how much you eat.

• Like 1

I did some research into this as I seemed to have some stubborn back chub that wouldn't shift. There's a suggestion that fat is stored and metabolised in different ways, I tried fasting and then doing intensive cardio and though it had some effect it's not really worth the effort!

• Like 1
  • Author
Your trainers have also probably told you that you can't spot weight loss. The weight comes off your whole body in whatever order it likes.

How long have you been training for?

I don't have a trainer, I just watch them on youtube sometimes and they always say stuff like that which to be honest, I think it's bad to say it does not help.

I remember I used to do abs work out and it was horrible, but it made some difference, then I saw them saying oh no forget about abs workouts, and my mind registered that.

I don't really train. I go to the gym everyday. walk 4 days and jog 3 days.

I used to train hard, then I had knee injury and now I try to be realistic and exercise with my own abilities. I don't want to push myself and then pay back later.

• Author
Keeping track of your exercise and caloric intake is a good idea. I've found it helps me analye what I've done and decide how to improve.

When I faced that problem, I found that I was eating too many calories. Putting myself at a slight calorie deficit and intermittent fasting helped tremendously.

I don't know what your diet is like, but you could consider increasing protein and lowering carbs and sugar. Increasing fiber also.

Wouldn't try to spot reduce, but focus on increasing overall fitness. Aerobic exercise can help lose belly fat, but I think increasing muscle mass helps to keep it off long-term.

Yeah I am doing this right now .. Trying to controlling what i eat and increasing fiber and protein and lowering sugar and fat

• Author
I think genes has a lot to do with it too. My mother and her sisters and I all have flabby stomachs no matter what we eat. Depending on where your ancestors originated, some people naturally store more abdominal fat which biologically serves as energy to enable them to endure cold seasons when food is scarce/famine.

I have to agree with you, but again we have to fight our bad genes.

• Author
The secret to loosing belly fat is simple. Stop eating sugar and saturated fat. With moderate exercising involving endurance training (like running, cycling or swimming) you Will eventually loose it. Belly fat is essentially your body storing what it doesent need, and fat doesn't transform into muscles.

I am doing this right now, but you know I think my results will take a long time :eek:

• Author
Give up wheat and watch it disappear. They call it a wheat belly for a reason. ;)

Not gonna happen

I am not going to give up wheat :(

But i am eating way less wheat than before.

I eat a slice of bread in the morning with my egg. :laugh:

• Author
I agree, get rid of wheat for a couple of months and see what happens.

I also agree that working your abs is not going to get rid of the fat, but good strong abs won't hurt. I'm excited to say that, at 46 yrs old, I have strong hard abs for the first time in my life and it's from sprinting, which I love. Sprinting is also supposed to be a good fat burner, but the truth is that I have a good amount of fat sitting on top of my impressive abs. But I still think I look better with them than without that definition.

Yeah, you know I love sprinting, and high intensity cardio, but my knee will kill me if I tried that again. I don't want to injure myself again. I am sticking to jogging, walking and rowing. You know low intensity cardio, because other wise my knee pain will return.

Not gonna happen

I am not going to give up wheat :(

But i am eating way less wheat than before.

I eat a slice of bread in the morning with my egg. :laugh:

If that's all your eating then you should be fine on that. I went no grain, dropped to stupid levels of body fat % and can now eat some grain without effect. Wheat belly is for people who live on the stuff, wheat for all three meals and hardly any veggies. The problem isn't the wheat per se, it's the GMO hybridised versions they use commercially. Bred to be super high in gluten which messes with the intestinal tract. Spelt breads are good for avoiding that and taste the same.

• Like 1
I have to agree with you, but again we have to fight our bad genes.

I swear, I have lost a lot of weight in the past. I have weighed as little as 45kg(I'm small-framed but this is still very light for my frame) and I still had a flabby stomach. I've cut out carbs and sugar which caused me to lose weight very quickly but the stomach flab remained. So I just don't bother anymore and I don't want to lose facial fat anyway.

• Like 1
I am doing this right now, but you know I think my results will take a long time :eek:

It doesn't have to take that long if you're well disciplined. A couple of years ago I made the effort to get rid of the bit of excess I've had since my early 20's.... It took me about 3 months to get shot of 10kg - by cutting out sugary stuff and moderate exercise a few times a week. It's keeping it off that's the hard bit!

• Like 2

....we don't have to have flat, firm stomachs to be healthy, as long as we eat healthily and get enough exercise. It's just aesthetically pleasing in our culture and has nothing to do with health.

• Like 1

Well the answers here are unanimous. To lose belly fat just do this one thing:

1. You can't target belly fat

2. Ab exercises don't work

3. Do planks (ab exercises)

4. Get rid of sugar

5. Get rid of saturated fat

6. Get rid of wheat

7. Hiking

8. Running

9. Sprinting

10. Stairs