Frozen vs. Non-Frozen Regular Yogurt

Is frozen just as nutritious and healthy as non-frozen?

And why when I put the non-frozen regular in the freezer, it doesn't taste the same as frozen?

I would imagine it's the sugar content in the frozen stuff, but this is disheartening as a new soft-serve frozen yogurt shop just opened down the street ... and I am becoming addicted to it!!

Am I okay eating all this frozen yogurt?

Tnx guys!

Is frozen just as nutritious and healthy as non-frozen?

And why when I put the non-frozen regular in the freezer, it doesn't taste the same as frozen?

I would imagine it's the sugar content in the frozen stuff, but this is disheartening as a new soft-serve frozen yogurt shop just opened down the street ... and I am becoming addicted to it!!

Am I okay eating all this frozen yogurt?

Tnx guys!

Frozen yogurt is a sugary dessert. It should be treated as such.

Frozen yogurt has more sugar and less fat than ice cream (a comparable dessert). For me, I think ice cream is a healthier treat.

• Like 2
  • Author
Frozen yogurt is a sugary dessert. It should be treated as such.

Frozen yogurt has more sugar and less fat than ice cream (a comparable dessert). For me, I think ice cream is a healthier treat.

Thanks, but oh geez I'm in trouble then....

My only saving grace is that I don't eat for dessert, it is actually my main meal.

losangelena

Err, nooo, I doubt it. It depends on the place, but I know some frozen yogurt shops flavor their froyo with a powder mix that probably has a mind-blowing amount of sugar. They also add stabilizers so it has a better texture (unlike regular yogurt).

Regular yogurt, if it has too much sugar, isn't healthy either. I've seen some of those little containers with up to 25 grams of sugar, which is crazy!

So no, I wouldn't sub out the new local froyo place for the kind you eat with berries in the morning. It's a once-in-a-while food.

• Like 3
Thanks, but oh geez I'm in trouble then....

My only saving grace is that I don't eat for dessert, it is actually my main meal.

Why are you eating this for a meal instead of more nutritious food?

For those concerned about the sugar in yogurt, try eating the ones with more fat. The fat-free yogurt (most on the shelf) have a TON of sugar, but the yogurt with fat has considerably less. The milk fat is also satisfying.

• Like 2
losangelena

For those concerned about the sugar in yogurt, try eating the ones with more fat. The fat-free yogurt (most on the shelf) have a TON of sugar, but the yogurt with fat has considerably less. The milk fat is also satisfying.

It's full-fat plain for me!

• Like 2
  • Author
Err, nooo, I doubt it. It depends on the place, but I know some frozen yogurt shops flavor their froyo with a powder mix that probably has a mind-blowing amount of sugar. They also add stabilizers so it has a better texture (unlike regular yogurt).

Regular yogurt, if it has too much sugar, isn't healthy either. I've seen some of those little containers with up to 25 grams of sugar, which is crazy!

So no, I wouldn't sub out the new local froyo place for the kind you eat with berries in the morning. It's a once-in-a-while food.

I know I have seen that too... in fact, the yogurt with real fruit often has the highest sugar content as fruit is high in natural sugars...

An 8 ounce glass of natural OJ or berry juice has 25-30 grams of sugar which shocked me!

I thought the froyo would be better as it contains no natural fruit....

Oh well... :(

losangelena
I know I have seen that too... in fact, the yogurt with real fruit often has the highest sugar content as fruit is high in natural sugars...

An 8 ounce glass of natural OJ or berry juice has 25-30 grams of sugar which shocked me!

My guess is that even if there's fruit in the yogurt, there's also an eff-ton of added sugar. The American palate demands it. Try eating plain yogurt and mixing it with a bit of honey and berries.

• Like 1

Google the name of the business and the nutritional facts. What's the brand?

losangelena

Also, just curious, but you thought artificially-sweetened yogurt was better than yogurt with fruit?

I agree that sugar content will vary place by place. And that most places will show nutritional info on their websites, or in their shops.

• Author

I dunno cuz I am neurotic? lol

I like it and thought it was okay. I usually eat for lunch.

I mean people eat regular yogurt for breakfast ... as their meal, right?

At least I didn't eat a main meal AND the froyo.

But knowing this I will cut back.

These froyo places are self serve too ... so the amount of yogurt one fills their cup with can be the equivalent of four scoops of ice cream....yikes!

I dunno cuz I am neurotic? lol

I like it and thought it was okay. I usually eat for lunch.

I mean people eat regular yogurt for breakfast ... as their meal, right?

At least I didn't eat a main meal AND the froyo.

But knowing this I will cut back.

These froyo places are self serve too ... so the amount of yogurt one fills their cup with can be the equivalent of four scoops of ice cream....yikes!

It's just really surprising to me, because the shops I've been to look like ice cream parlors.

I wouldn't serve my kids ice cream for breakfast just because it's made with milk, as an alternative to milk and cereal, for example.

• Author
Google the name of the business and the nutritional facts. What's the brand?

Yogurtland. Southern California, they are all over.

Just checked... ugh!

Nothing under 25 grams of sugar for four ounces. Approx 150 calories...

My usual serving is at least 8 ounces, maybe more!

• Like 1
  • Author
Also, just curious, but you thought artificially-sweetened yogurt was better than yogurt with fruit?

I agree that sugar content will vary place by place. And that most places will show nutritional info on their websites, or in their shops.

I dunno what I thought, I didn't think about it. Till now.

Obviously I was quite ignorant, or just not thinking.

• Author
It's just really surprising to me, because the shops I've been to look like ice cream parlors.

I wouldn't serve my kids ice cream for breakfast just because it's made with milk, as an alternative to milk and cereal, for example.

No but people eat regular yogurt for breakfast .... so I mistakenly and obviously ignorantly assumed eating yogurt (albeit frozen) for lunch would be okay too.

Now that I know how bad it is.... gonna scratch that pronto!!!

Thanks guys!

losangelena
Yogurtland. Southern California, they are all over.

Just checked... ugh!

Nothing under 25 grams of sugar for four ounces. Approx 150 calories...

My usual serving is at least 8 ounces, maybe more!

I mean, don't panic. Now you know and you can curb the habit. I mean, 300 calories for lunch isn't bad (if anything, it's low). I'd personally be concerned, A) yes, the sugar/carbs, and B) that I was not getting enough of other kinds of nutrients in my diet.

Also, if you started topping it with mochi and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, that's a whole different story.

You're alright. Just save it for a treat.

• Like 1

I think it was marketed as a healthier treat, in the past, but it really isn't. Like that lovely peach smoothie I got from a bookstore: there were no fresh peaches in there. I think it was syrup, water, and ice, blended together.

I made my own yogurt, a couple of months ago. It had a mild, tart flavour. Adding a bit of raw honey helped to sweeten it (raw honey is really sweet, but I was told that it kills off the good bacteria in the yogurt, so I don't know what to do if/when I make another batch).

You could also try making a vegan ice cream, out of bananas. Unless the sugar content is too high in those. My sister used to make this, and there's a recipe in a book I bought recently, for a diet that's healthy for the heart. That's something I need to ask about in a separate thread, or with friends, privately.

• Like 1
  • Author
I mean, don't panic. Now you know and you can curb the habit. I mean, 300 calories for lunch isn't bad (if anything, it's low). I'd personally be concerned, A) yes, the sugar/carbs, and B) that I was not getting enough of other kinds of nutrients in my diet.

Also, if you started topping it with mochi and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, that's a whole different story.

You're alright. Just save it for a treat.

Okay tnx.... :)

Ya know, the reason for this thread is cuz I had some regular yogurt in the fridge and wondered what it would taste like frozen, so put in the freezer last night.

Today I tasted it and ICK!!

I thought to myself, okay what's going on with this froyo stuff I have been knocking down every day for two weeks...

So thought why not ask the wise folks on LS?

Didn't think to actually google Yogurtland itself...

But then again, some regular healthy yogurts contain a ton of sugar too .... so it's hard to know what's healthy and what's not.

I mean, natural juices are very healthy but they also contain a ton of sugar.

Confusing.

I guess it's the difference between artificial sugar and natural sugars....

This board can be so enlightening ... mean that! :) :)