Wookin Pa Nub

Does anyone have experience with this? I just went to dr. for it and was prescribed bluspar. Havent noticed any changes.

I am not sure if it is connected to depression or not. I have always been a shy person but noticed the last few years my social anxiety has gotten worse. I do not like being in big group settings. I am good at small groups where I know the people.

My job requires me to be marketing, networking, going to social functions, cocktail receptions, interacting with clients, employees and potential clients. I'd rather just be in my office alone doing busy work and eating my lunch in front of my computer instead of taking clients out to lunch.

I will take a different route if I see someone who might want to have a conversation.

If I am in a good mood and feeling social (becoming more rare for me) then I am all for socializing. Just wonder if there's any medication to help me get in that socializing mood more.

Anxiety is a mental habit, medicating yourself into someone else is a very poor solution. I know it's the solution most people including the medical profession advocate but it doesn't solve the problem, it just masks the symptoms. Practising avoidance which is what you are doing fuels the social phobia and makes it worse. Confronting the fear is the answer, not waiting until you are 'in the mood'.

It will take 2 months before you get much effect from medication, they require a certain level of chemical build-up in the body to work. Unless you want a lifetime subscription to that medication I suggest that you learn how to deal with the anxiety properly. Once you start feeding your phobia with avoidance habits then it will require larger and larger amounts of medication to overcome your anxious symptoms. Eventually you may lose your job. Don't let this get to that stage before you do something about it.

• Like 1

I have taken Buspar. I found it made me a bit dizzy - like a glass of white wine. It kind of worked for me - but being light headed was not helpful.

Much later I was put on beta blockers for High Blood pressure, but my doctor had told me previously they were off labeled prescribed for social anxiety, worrying, etc- and are given to folks before public speaking. They work very well making me mellow over all - win win for a medication for me. You might want to consider them.

• Author
Wookin Pa Nub
I have taken Buspar. I found it made me a bit dizzy - like a glass of white wine. It kind of worked for me - but being light headed was not helpful.

Much later I was put on beta blockers for High Blood pressure, but my doctor had told me previously they were off labeled prescribed for social anxiety, worrying, etc- and are given to folks before public speaking. They work very well making me mellow over all - win win for a medication for me. You might want to consider them.

Yes the only thing buspar has done is make me dizzy, light-headed.

I would like something like you mentioned with beta blockers - take it before a client meeting, presentation or social event. I know it is wrong but I have taken my wife's pain meds on a couple occasions and I like how it makes me feel "happy" and it puts me in a very social mood.

Yes the only thing buspar has done is make me dizzy, light-headed.

I would like something like you mentioned with beta blockers - take it before a client meeting, presentation or social event. I know it is wrong but I have taken my wife's pain meds on a couple occasions and I like how it makes me feel "happy" and it puts me in a very social mood.

Pain meds are addictive to many, please stop.

Go as your doctor about beta blockers such as Propranolol for your situational anxiety.

• Author
Wookin Pa Nub
Pain meds are addictive to many, please stop.

Go as your doctor about beta blockers such as Propranolol for your situational anxiety.

Yeah I know it was bad and there's risks but I know I do not have addictive traits. I took one like a year ago and another one about 6 months later. Havent even thought about it taking another one since.

My BF told me he had a pretty bad social anxiety that he battled with CBT.

He is now doing a lot of consulting work with clients, so the method worked for him. I still see signs in social situations out of work (he acts awkward with new people) but still...I think he got great results with therapy.

Are you doing CBT or other therapy on top of the medication?

Does anyone have experience with this? I just went to dr. for it and was prescribed bluspar. Havent noticed any changes.

I am not sure if it is connected to depression or not. I have always been a shy person but noticed the last few years my social anxiety has gotten worse. I do not like being in big group settings. I am good at small groups where I know the people.

My job requires me to be marketing, networking, going to social functions, cocktail receptions, interacting with clients, employees and potential clients. I'd rather just be in my office alone doing busy work and eating my lunch in front of my computer instead of taking clients out to lunch.

I will take a different route if I see someone who might want to have a conversation.

If I am in a good mood and feeling social (becoming more rare for me) then I am all for socializing. Just wonder if there's any medication to help me get in that socializing mood more.

I'm not sure if I have social anxiety per se. I have no problem giving speeches, looking people in the eyes, or talking to strangers. There are some common activities that I dread. The worst for me is the checkout line when grocery shopping. I'm not sure what it is but I feel very uneasy when I unload the groceries from the cart. I feel like I'm being judged. It all gets worse up to the point where I pay. At that point, my voice is usually weak and high. I sometimes miscount money and I constantly drop change.