Anyone like hip thrusts?

I recently changed my weight lifting routines to better align with my MMA training. I added hip thrusts. Right now pretty simple - Swiss ball holding a 45 plate, but I will move to a bar and plates soon. I really like the results and they seem to help with other stuff.

• Author
Try to move away from the swiss ball dichotomy please and use a bench.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-do-hip-thrusts-for-better-glutes

But no I don't like them, just the whole padding and balancing thing I find awkward.

The bench at this point is awkward/uncomfortable for me. Mainly I think because its height and hard surface. From that I see swiss balls are a good start place - mostly without weights from all the videos I watched. But I am just holding a plate on my stomach for now and it feels very comfortable. Is there some issue I am missing with the Swiss ball hip thrusts ? Perhaps danger of stability with heavy weights ? Or rupture ?

Besides their direct benefit to MMA - specifically BJJ, I am finding them building some nice glute and ham's and secondarily helping my lower back stability. Also engima32 they do seem to help with... um... other hip thrusts. :o

Besides an expensive thrust bench sold by Bret C, I am looking into a "aerobic step" module with extensions as a low bench substitute when I move to the bar for heavier weights. I already have a very heavy bar pad to reduce any pressure issues with placing the bar across my hips.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 1

Is it still uncomfortable if you make sure you brace your core?

Yes I think any form of swiss ball exercise is bad for your back.

lana-banana

I love 'em for the same reason I love Roman chair back extensions. Amazing results without putting stress on your knees (a huge bonus in my book!).

• Like 2