Antiperspirant or Deodorant?

Stage5Clinger

(serious question)

Which do you use? I really prefer deodorant but it doesn't usually last all day so I have to re-apply half way through the day. Antiperspirant is kind of creepy to me with the aluminum in it and I've heard it can cause health problems.

• Like 1

I use Tom's deodorant on normal days. If I think I'm going to have a particualrly odorific day, without access to a shower for a long time, I will use regular antiperspirent stuff like Dove.

The aluminum ingredient creeps me out too, so I try and avoid it when I can.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a homemade (not by me . . . I buy it from Etsy) deodorant that has baking soda, coconut oil, and sage (among other things). It goes on pasty like a traditional antiperspirant and does seem to sop up and discourage some sweating, but without nasty chemicals. I'm kind of crunchy so I need the option to skip a daily shower here or there, and Tom's deodorant and the crystal rock, while nice in theory, did not come close to cutting it for me. This deodorant does. (It's called Fresh Wonder Super Deodorant by DJ Deodorants).

• Like 2
RecentChange

I admit, the health concerns give me pause..... but I also think it has been such a widely used product, for such a long time, if there were strong correlations between antiperspirant use and health issues - with a sample size this big and this long to study - we would see some hard evidence instead of weak ties.

And, I use antiperspirant - its not so much that I get smelly, but I don't want "wet pits". Between dressing "business" for work every day, then going on a run every lunch break - then back to "business", then heading out in the (now) summer high heat to ride my horse.... I need something to help keep me "fresh".

My husband uses deodorant and it works fine for him. He doesn't get smelly, and doesn't work up a sweat (without a mid day shower!) like I do.

Edited by RecentChange
  • Like 2

roll on anti-perspirant. I prefer comfort and not worry about sweating.

• Like 1
Confused9999

I have a problem in theory with antiperspirant.

Your arm pits sweat for a reason. You are hot and your body is trying to get rid of the heat.

It's natural.

I can't see how blocking that can possibly be good for you!

• Like 2

But I also don't see how the stench can be good socially.;) I can glimmer and gleam from the rest of my body. No need for my armpits to get involved in the party!

I like Secret solid-strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.:D It's a combination antiperspirant/deodorant.

I tried Tom's antiperspirant/deodorant placebo product last winter. It was neither! What a total waste of money.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

I use Secret solid that won't leave white marks and smells like cocoa butter kisses.

I don't know what's in it and don't really care. I don't sweat a lot anyway.

• Like 1

Your arm pits sweat for a reason. You are hot and your body is trying to get rid of the heat.

It's natural.

You are not blocking it, you still sweat but reduce the bacteria so you don't stink. You get rid off heat using the surface of your entire body, this why we have sweat glands all over including our scalp. The reason why you feel it in your armpits more is that it doesn't get the chance to dry as easily.

You also get laid easier if you don't stink.

• Like 3
haha Angel Eyes...we both posted our same choice at the same time! :)

Yes!:laugh: I like Powder Fresh and Shower Fresh.

• Like 2

I use a natural rose deodorant from Dr Hauschka.

Its quite expensive at £12.25/$18.22, but it's the best thing I've found.

No aluminium or nasty chemicals.

• Like 2
RecentChange

It's natural.

While I agree, that in theory, blocking sweat does not sound like a good idea....

Sweating in your pits is NOT a main cooling mechanism. Sure my pits sweat when I go for a run, but my head, chest, neck etc sweat even more, because those are areas that actually get airflow and assist in cooling the body more.

Arm pit sweat is the only place most use antiperspirant for a reason.

Sweating there is not primarily a cooling mechanism (not much surface area, or air flow), but rather arm pits, like the groin have hair to retain "sent" the sweat excreted in this area carries more hormones etc - sent indicators. This area also has different colonies of bacteria - hence the development of stink.

While a "nervous sweat" often happens in the pits (releasing sent indicators), a sweat due to over heating is going to happen on larger surface areas of the body.

Antiperspirants DO block sweat, AND kill bacteria. Deodorants only address the bacteria

• Like 2

with deodorants, I find the smell of the product to be the most important. Brands like Tom's comes in a few different scents. Some of those scents mingle with your sweat and are just atrocious. I also think its a personal smell issue. for example, I don't like the smell of lilac per say, but that's the only scent that works in conjunction with my body/sweat. While for someone else, that scent would not work. Does that make sense? It's a lot of trial and error to find something workable and it's very individual as well.

I've tried making my own with baking soda and other ingredients, but the baking soda makes me break out in a rash for some reason.

My concerns with anipersperants are not with blocking sweat, but in the ingredients like alluminum.

I just don't get it why people are so hung up on normal physical processes like sweating.

I barely sweat during the day if working in office (they keep this nasty air conditioning on at 65...). I sweat if I'm out and about and then I do use antiperspirant, but that's not twice a day, so I hardly doubt it will have nasty consequences. If I work out I do sweat AND shower afterwards :D That's what human body does when strained and I doubt it that I have to be ashamed about it...

All I wanted to say - using antiperspirant on occasion is good, the rest of the time - just accept people sweat, pee, poop etc. We're not supposed to be sterile and odor free and there are purposes for these.

Mrs.Delicate

I am with No_Go. I haven't used either products in years.I do not stink and i get laid regularly;) When I stopped using the products, my sweating decreased significantly. Don't get me wrong, I have days I need to shower ASAP, but I had days like that when using product.

• Like 1