How does exercise affect you?

I saw this show on BBC on exercise and they mentioned that people are genetically predisposed to exercise working for them or not. I think I am one of these people who do not get a lot of benefit from working out. I have worked out my entire life, but I never seem to be able to improved my fitness level significantly.

For example, a few year ago I started running. The first day I did 1 mile of walk/run (that's all I could do). After 5 months of training 3-4 days a week (5 days/week the last month), I was able to do 3 miles, but still having to stop constantly and walk part of the way. The most I've been able to do without stopping is 1 mile and I jog super slowly. Other people I know who took up running seem to progress a lot further and these are people who went from being a couch potato to running, while I have always worked out a little (1-2 time/week).

Curious how exercise affects other people. I am not discouraged if I am one of those people who's genetics doesn't help. I just want to understand if what I experience is the norm or it's just me.

I saw this show on BBC on exercise and they mentioned that people are genetically predisposed to exercise working for them or not. I think I am one of these people who do not get a lot of benefit from working out. I have worked out my entire life, but I never seem to be able to improved my fitness level significantly.

Well that's a massive sweeping generalisation to make. I wonder what exact sequence denotes....unfit gene. Far be it from me to question some people in white coats making extremely unlikely assertions. I mean science has only been wrong.....pretty much consistently since the beginning of science. The problem isn't with science exactly it's with the faulty conclusions the scientists draw from available data. Gene sequencing and study is very new, it's not inconceivable that scientists are going to draw bogus conclusions from data that will later be 'revised'. That's the nature of science.

Think about it, the human body is designed to move. Do you really believe there are [able] human bodies out there that are designed to not move? Born to be fat and resistant to the natural function of a human body? Short of a birth defect, the answer is no.

For example, a few year ago I started running. The first day I did 1 mile of walk/run (that's all I could do). After 5 months of training 3-4 days a week (5 days/week the last month), I was able to do 3 miles, but still having to stop constantly and walk part of the way. The most I've been able to do without stopping is 1 mile and I jog super slowly. Other people I know who took up running seem to progress a lot further and these are people who went from being a couch potato to running, while I have always worked out a little (1-2 time/week).

So you are not a natural runner? Well I'm not a natural high jumper, being short will limit your ability to jump great heights. I could probably jump x times my height, but so can someone who's 6ft, so they will jump higher than me.

I'd say it's more accurate that certain people gain more from various forms of exercise. For me personally, cardio workouts and weight training does not give me the body I want. Yoga and walking does. It doesn't mean I'm genetically resistant to exercise. It means my body responds better to different exercise than someone else. Possibly walking would do more for your cardio fitness than running. That is why you got limited benefit from running.

If we look at elite athletes it's the same thing. Ever wondered why sprinting is mostly won by black people and swimming mostly by white people? There's a genetic difference that makes those two different genomes better at different activities. There are plenty of non-black sprinters, but it doesn't matter how hard they train, they are unlikely to outrun someone with a better genome. You don't have a jogging genome, but you can't convince me you've tried absolutely every form of physical exercise out there and failed at all of them.

Often I find people leap to the genetics argument when they want to justify why something won't work for them.

• Author
You don't have a jogging genome, but you can't convince me you've tried absolutely every form of physical exercise out there and failed at all of them.

I have been working out for 2 decades. I've pretty much done most of it: yoga, Pilates, aerobics, weights, dancing, running, swimming, kickboxing, jazzercise, T25, etc. I even used to be an aerobics trainers in my younger days. I am not a novice who doesn't know what I'm talking about. The example I provided about running is just one example. But it's pretty much the same with any other exercise.

Also, I didn't fail at it. I just don't improve much. After exercising for 2 decades, you would think I would get better.

RecentChange

Hum, I am not a life long exerciser - I have always been active, lots of hiking, bike riding, out doors manual work etc - but hadn't buckled down to a real routine before this year.

I took up running, oh, maybe 6 months ago. When I started, I could barely run a city block. I can now comfortably run 4 miles a day (5 days a week), and I am pretty quick! I pass most that I see out running and jogging (besides the super fit, "serious" looking runners).

Curious, when you say you HAVE to stop to walk - is it because you are out of breath? Or legs burn, or ?

Have you tried the couch to 5K program? If so, how did it go?

How is your form / breathing? I read up on this stuff and found it helpful, I can keep a "three strides breath in, three strides breath out" rhythm which really helps, and I have become a midfoot / forefoot striker (instead of a heel striker) which improved my running.

And I am not trying to poke at you - but how hard do you push yourself before you break into a walk? When I am feeling like throwing in the towel I think about my high school gym couch who wouldn't let us stop unless we PUKED. Vomiting meant you had enough, not vomiting? Keep running. Not saying that is what I do now, but he did teach me to push myself.

• Like 1
  • Author
Curious, when you say you HAVE to stop to walk - is it because you are out of breath? Or legs burn, or ?

Out of breath. I usually start walking just before the lungs hurt/want to puke point.

Have you tried the couch to 5K program? If so, how did it go?

I didn't follow the couch-to-5k but I did something similar. I had to go slower than that schedule.

And I am not trying to poke at you - but how hard do you push yourself before you break into a walk? When I am feeling like throwing in the towel I think about my high school gym couch who wouldn't let us stop unless we PUKED. Vomiting meant you had enough, not vomiting? Keep running. Not saying that is what I do now, but he did teach me to push myself.

I try to not go to the puke point. I find that when I do, I end up exercising less. If I keep a steady pace, I'm able to exercise longer, both time and distance wise. I focus more on target heart rate.

I was going to start a running thread, since I'm training for my 2nd half marathon and like to get advice from other runners. I'm by no means an expert, but my advice is:

-It helps to train with someone better than you. For motivation, but also technique.

-What you eat and drink really matters. Honestly my runs go miserably if I eat too much beforehand. Every person needs a different magic running pre-meal. For me it's a banana and peanut butter.

-Where you train makes a difference. I'm much more motivated outside than on a treadmill, and much happier in a more scenic trail than in my neighborhood where all the houses look the same.

-Weight training really helps improve endurance and speed

-What RC said about breathing is critical, yep

-Do you have the right shoes and clothes? Go to a running store and have someone look at your gait/foot shape to see what type of shoe you need? That will prevent injuries.

In some ways I do agree with you, that some people are going to be more successful at certain types of exercise than others. Running can be really hard on your body. But I'm also curious what stopped you at 3 miles....I feel like the hardest mile is always the first. Once you get to 3, you really can push yourself to 5. And then when 5 is comfortable, you can really keep going farther from there. For me getting past mile 10 was the next hardest point. And once you're at 10, it's like...F it, of course I can pull out another 3.

I'd say not to get to the point where you want to puke, that's not fun. Who cares if you have to walk a little or go slower at first? Maybe you need to go at a slower pace for awhile, but at least you're out there trying. Don't worry about your pace.

As far as pushing yourself, when you feel like you have to stop to walk- consider just slowing down instead. Maybe you can keep going but go slower. Sometimes I'm able to push through that way, by slowing down but not walking. And then yeah, sometimes I just walk :)

Who cares? The running police aren't judging me.

Edited by AMJ

'd say it's more accurate that certain people gain more from various forms of exercise. For me personally, cardio workouts and weight training does not give me the body I want. Yoga and walking does. It doesn't mean I'm genetically resistant to exercise. It means my body responds better to different exercise than someone else. Possibly walking would do more for your cardio fitness than running. That is why you got limited benefit from running.

This is a good point.

I have done (or do) several different types of exercise - jogging, weight lifting, yoga, and mixed martial arts. Each of these types of exercises affects my body and feelings differently. I was never much jogger (like you OP) and mostly don't do it - except for either brisk walking - or a little hill sprinting.

Even within these various exercise routines - say weight lifting - there are certain types of weight lifting movements I do - and ones I don't do because of how my body responds or works with it. Example - dead lifts and squats - nope - but trap bar dead lifts and lunges - yep ! With yoga - I found a certain instructor/teacher and type of yoga that my body seems to be okay with compared to other types.

• Author
I was going to start a running thread, since I'm training for my 2nd half marathon and like to get advice from other runners. I'm by no means an expert, but my advice is:

-It helps to train with someone better than you. For motivation, but also technique.

-What you eat and drink really matters. Honestly my runs go miserably if I eat too much beforehand. Every person needs a different magic running pre-meal. For me it's a banana and peanut butter.

-Where you train makes a difference. I'm much more motivated outside than on a treadmill, and much happier in a more scenic trail than in my neighborhood where all the houses look the same.

-Weight training really helps improve endurance and speed

-What RC said about breathing is critical, yep

-Do you have the right shoes and clothes? Go to a running store and have someone look at your gait/foot shape to see what type of shoe you need? That will prevent injuries.

In some ways I do agree with you, that some people are going to be more successful at certain types of exercise than others. Running can be really hard on your body. But I'm also curious what stopped you at 3 miles....I feel like the hardest mile is always the first. Once you get to 3, you really can push yourself to 5. And then when 5 is comfortable, you can really keep going farther from there. For me getting past mile 10 was the next hardest point. And once you're at 10, it's like...F it, of course I can pull out another 3.

Eating, shoes and clothes are not the issue. I got right stuff there.

3 miles was my goal since it was a 5K run I was training for. I am still trying to get myself to run a full 3 miles without stopping. I did that 5K for 3 years in a row training a few month each year and I never got better than the first year :mad:

I run so slow, walking is slowing down :(

Running is just an example. Other exercises are the same. I just don't seem to get much stronger, faster, more stamina, etc :(

Exercise has a lot of positive effects for me. My body quickly responds physically, molding my shape attractively. I get stronger and have more endurance.

But....

Yeah, me, too. Running a certain distance without stopping is sort of a random way to test fitness, and imo not a very helpful one. Running nonstop isn't particularly healthy or conducive to fitness. Running fast and alternating with walking is healthier. So when I run, I tend to run at a pace that I can't keep up for 3 miles, and alternate with walking. I never interpreted this to mean that I wasn't getting fitter.

• Author
This is a good point.

I have done (or do) several different types of exercise - jogging, weight lifting, yoga, and mixed martial arts. Each of these types of exercises affects my body and feelings differently. I was never much jogger (like you OP) and mostly don't do it - except for either brisk walking - or a little hill sprinting.

Even within these various exercise routines - say weight lifting - there are certain types of weight lifting movements I do - and ones I don't do because of how my body responds or works with it. Example - dead lifts and squats - nope - but trap bar dead lifts and lunges - yep ! With yoga - I found a certain instructor/teacher and type of yoga that my body seems to be okay with compared to other types.

So you find an exercise and if you continue to do it, you excel/improve at it. My problem is that I have yet to find anything helps improve my cardiovascular ability, stamina, overall muscle strength, etc. There are lots of things I enjoy doing. I like how exercise makes me feel and I change it up so I don't get bored. But is it normal to not see major improvements after trying something for 5 months?

• Author
Yeah, me, too. Running a certain distance without stopping is sort of a random way to test fitness, and imo not a very helpful one. Running nonstop isn't particularly healthy or conducive to fitness. Running fast and alternating with walking is healthier. So when I run, I tend to run at a pace that I can't keep up for 3 miles, and alternate with walking. I never interpreted this to mean that I wasn't getting fitter.

I think I have derailed my own thread mentioned the running. That was just an example. I also tried T25. After several months of doing it 3-4/week, I was not stronger than the day I started.

I also have an elliptical machine I use, not too often, but have been using for years. Between the use and other exercise I do, you would think I would build some more stamina. Not the case.

Try running hills (run up, walk down, repeat). Measure for improvement by time, or by how many times you can repeat. Or how far you can get up that hill before stopping. I'd sometimes measure by mailboxes I pass....try to get to the next mailbox by next month....

Try running up steps, maybe the stairs on outdoor bleachers.

Try embracing the run/walk pattern and really RUN! during the runs. See how it affects your time on a 3 mile distance. You might find that you can cover 3 miles faster (and continue to get faster) if you change your goal from running nonstop to just covering the ground as fast as you can.

• Like 1

I think it's like school. Some kids just go to class and pick their nose while day dreaming, then go home and play video games. Some kids pay attention in class and then go home and study. Effort is not just showing up and going through the motions while being there.

I see some people at my gyms that have no intensity. They go through their workout and there's no real excretion of effort. They stay well within their current capabilities and they do that all the time. Unfortunately that means they'll never progress, because all they're doing is going through the motions. I think they have no idea how to push themselves physically and actually believe what they do is pushing and will eventually come to the conclusion that they are getting no results because of their genes. Send them away to Marine Corp boot camp with a drill instructor in their face all day long and their food intake completely controlled and I bet they will get results regardless of ....genes.

I get results. I put on muscles easily, I shred and lean out as planned. Everything pretty much works as advertised for me.

But is it normal to not see major improvements after trying something for 5 months?

Actually yes. I saw no net benefit from my yoga routine until about the 6 month mark (of daily 1 hr sessions) where my body appeared to morph over night and also get a lot of core strength that it seemed to lack before. My experience is improvements aren't always linear, there's a long lead up for me then a sudden improvement then back to plateauing. It seems to be a common experience. I had also previously done yoga a couple of times a week for years and never seen that same result.

I don't think it's a correct conclusion to draw to say well I tried something twice a week for a few months and I didn't get any massive improvements. When I was gyming it with 3 days a week intense cardio, three days a week weights I did that 6 days a week for half a year and still did not see the improvement I was seeking. That's why I stopped doing that kind of exercise. It clearly wasn't working for me.

But other exercise did work for me, but it has to be consistent daily effort for it to do so over the longterm. Not training a few months out of the year.

After several months of doing it 3-4/week, I was not stronger than the day I started.

not too often, but have been using for years.

What I'm seeing here is a pattern of sporadic effort for relatively short periods of time. Not everyone can build their fitness in a few months, that's for teenagers really. Maybe it's more a case of the expectations not meeting with reality.

I think I have derailed my own thread mentioned the running. That was just an example. I also tried T25. After several months of doing it 3-4/week, I was not stronger than the day I started.

I use T25 :)

How are you measuring stronger? It kicks my butt every time, even after 18 months, but I can tell that my leg muscles are larger since I started using it.

Do you see results with a tape measure?

Also, are you feeding your body the proper nutrition to build muscle?

I see some people at my gyms that have no intensity. They go through their workout and there's no real excretion of effort. They stay well within their current capabilities and they do that all the time. Unfortunately that means they'll never progress, because all they're doing is going through the motions.

Yes THIS.....

- Many women avoid intensity, they also avoid consistency. When I do my yoga everyday there is a 'ladies only' fitness group being run by a personal trainer nearby and frankly watching that class I am no longer mystified why everyone in it, including the trainer are chubby, lack muscle tone and never seem to change. It's more of social meeting with kettle bells than any kind of serious targeted exercise.

- I am also familiar with the regular female joggers in my local park. Doing long light jogging with music in, I'm sure they think they are exercising, but what they are doing is just getting some fresh air in their active wear. They aren't doing anything that would build muscle nor endurance nor cardiac fitness.

This is actually the plight of many people out there exercising. They aren't doing anything that's going to make a material difference to their body in any direction. They are psychologically exercising, doing something that makes them feel good but is ultimately a failed fitness regime because it doesn't target anything, work with their body type and they don't do it often enough to make a difference.

You also don't mention OP your fitness starting point. If you are coming at your jogging after having done very little exercise for some years or even a year and you are middle aged then the results you got were very likely realistic for your fitness starting point and age group.

Women are at a distinct disadvantage anyway, we don't have the fat burning furnace that men have nor the ability to quickly put on muscle bulk. And we especially don't have it somewhere around the age of 40 or so even if we were active in our younger years. Patience, technique, longterm is needed to build fitness at this age.

• Like 1
  • Author
I use T25 :)Do you see results with a tape measure

I don't measure with tape or scales. I measure based on my ability to perform. How many burpees I can do? Ability to do burpees without feeling like my lungs are going to explode. Ability to move up from the modified version over time.

I don't measure with tape or scales. I measure based on my ability to perform. How many burpees I can do? Ability to do burpees without feeling like my lungs are going to explode. Ability to move up from the modified version over time.

My performance in T25 varies based on my day, how tired I am, what I've eaten. Good days and bad days.

I don't measure or weigh, either, but I could tell based on my clothes that my leg muscles got larger with T25.

How's your diet? Getting enough protein and complex carbs?

Agree that it's about lack of intensity. Also lack of understanding how the human body works. How you build strength, cardiovascular stamina, VO2 max, etc. It's not really enough to put trainers on and go for a run, you need to learn how to get to the level that you want. That means reading and educating yourself.

I find certain types of exercise far more enjoyable than others therefore naturally I am drawn to those. However, I can improve at anything I want, genetics have nothing to do with it, I simply learn how to get better at something.

This is why I like the 'women only' sessions at my local gym, I can use the cable machines freely because all the other women are on the elliptical. That's because they have no clue about how to make progress. They just walk and run, their body doesn't really change and they give up after 6 months because of 'genetics'.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

To deny the genetic element is missing the boat, IMO...

If genetics didn't matter then pro ball players would make the same amount of money as average Joe's..Despite what people may think, there are regular people that train just as hard(even harder in some cases), have diets just as well engineered, and even take the same ....er....supplements, that they do..

But they'll never get a whiff of the Pro's....

Additionally, there are homeless people living in the street and eating garbage that could likely embarrass many gym members in terms of physique quality...

Having said this, does that mean that one shouldn't exercise? of course not....Everyone can make some improvement on some level...

I see guys at the gym.....They do everything textbook...They educate themselves....they chart their own progress...They take the right supplements....yet they pretty much look the same and never really make any significant strength gains....year after year...

Other people are more fortunate...That's the way it is...

I consider myself fortunate...I get out what I put in, and actually get more than I expect for the level of effort..Quite honestly, if I trained and gave my all, and saw little to no change in appearance or strength, then Id give it up....Or I would get my exercise in doing stuff that was actually fun/recreation...I just don't have the type of time to do stuff without getting anything(or very little measurable) out of it, and i could care less about the social aspect of the gym so it wouldn't even be worth it for that..

...Its as simple as that..

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 1
fitnessfan365

I've worked up to a six day per week exercise frequency pretty much year round minus a few recovery weeks.

3x per week - Full body strength training and high intensity performance conditioning

3x per week - Weighted vest hiking

My fitness levels are definitely the best they've ever been, and my body fat % is the lowest it's been in the last few years. Overall I feel fantastic. But I will admit, I could probably have a healthier relationship with exercise because it tends to consume my life a bit. It's especially hard because I'm a personal trainer. So I'd like to work on being able to feel good and OK with reduced exercise frequency and leave room for passion about other things in life.

• Like 1

I don't know how it works with running but I have friends that are natural bodybuilders and are huge. They grow easier and get stronger than others. I perform every workout as perfect as possible. I do not push the weights from A to B. I focus on what I am working out and concentrate. so even with me doing that, I also lift heavier than my friends and there still bigger. Ill bang out 315 on incline for 9 reps clean, my boy is doing 275 and is bigger. Don't get me wrong, I am not a small guy but at the same time, I do not have those gifted genetics.

I still train. The endorphin rush I get is amazing. Plus its a natural anti depressant.

My other friend has one leg. He competes on stage. I still have a torn labrum yet I am still banging out the weights. No excuses.

• Like 1