Getting Ready for Spring! 6-Week Weight Loss Challenge

I've been exercising more recently and we have a vacation set for Spring Break (starting March 31st). I realized that my vacation is exactly six weeks away starting tomorrow, and since I do better with short "challenges" with objective, number-based goals, I figured I'd keep track of my progress here.

My Goals:

1) Get in at least 20 workouts by March 31st.

2) Keep calories to 1800 daily, and hopefully 1) & 2) will lead to:

3) Lose 10 lbs by March 31st.

Anyone else want in on this?? It would be awesome to get a few people together and be accountable to each other.

• Like 2
I've been exercising more recently and we have a vacation set for Spring Break (starting March 31st). I realized that my vacation is exactly six weeks away starting tomorrow, and since I do better with short "challenges" with objective, number-based goals, I figured I'd keep track of my progress here.

My Goals:

1) Get in at least 20 workouts by March 31st.

2) Keep calories to 1800 daily, and hopefully 1) & 2) will lead to:

3) Lose 10 lbs by March 31st.

Anyone else want in on this?? It would be awesome to get a few people together and be accountable to each other.

I'm in.

I was just looking at Myfitnesspal an app and website which keeps track of food. I didn't join yet because I'm not sure I want to. If anyone here has used it and liked it let me know.

Here are my goals:

1) Work out twice a week with weights and cardio once a week.

2) Lose three pounds fat and gain three pounds of muscle.

3) Learn more about nutrition.

• Author
I'm in.

I was just looking at Myfitnesspal an app and website which keeps track of food. I didn't join yet because I'm not sure I want to. If anyone here has used it and liked it let me know.

Here are my goals:

1) Work out twice a week with weights and cardio once a week.

2) Lose three pounds fat and gain three pounds of muscle.

3) Learn more about nutrition.

Hey Summer!

I use the Myfitnesspal app but I don't get super complicated with it. I know the calorie counts of most foods I eat, so I just quickadd them in. I don't know if using the website and getting more "into the weeds" of it is helpful or not.

Hey Summer!

I use the Myfitnesspal app but I don't get super complicated with it. I know the calorie counts of most foods I eat, so I just quickadd them in. I don't know if using the website and getting more "into the weeds" of it is helpful or not.

If I get bored enough I'll try it. Right now, I'm listening to lots of youtube videos for food info.

• Author
If I get bored enough I'll try it. Right now, I'm listening to lots of youtube videos for food info.

My quick rules of thumb...your mileage may vary...

1) unless you measure and calorie count, you're always eating more calories than you think...always

2) you can't go wrong with berries, leafy veggies, low-fat cottage cheese, sweet potatoes, egg whites, some nuts, and tuna or chicken breasts.

• Like 3
My quick rules of thumb...your mileage may vary...

1) unless you measure and calorie count, you're always eating more calories than you think...always

2) you can't go wrong with berries, leafy veggies, low-fat cottage cheese, sweet potatoes, egg whites, some nuts, and tuna or chicken breasts.

I'm making a huge salad tonight for dinner with tuna on the side. It WILL have some mayo in it but not that much.

I do eat clean for the most part. But I still eat pasta, pizza, cookies and chocolate.

• Author
I'm making a huge salad tonight for dinner with tuna on the side. It WILL have some mayo in it but not that much.

I do eat clean for the most part. But I still eat pasta, pizza, cookies and chocolate.

Pizza is my weakness! The office got pizza today and someone brought in homemade cookies and I just ate my grilled chicken with hummus in a tortilla instead.

I am going to get down to my college weight if only for spite now!

(who says "spite" can't be a legitimate fitness motivator??)

• Like 1

I'm in! I tried to eat more healthy because I got in the habit of cooking and baking rich comfort foods for my ma but eating healthy somehow made me gain weight these past few weeks so today I'm off to buy a Fitbit to inspire me.

• Like 2
Pizza is my weakness! The office got pizza today and someone brought in homemade cookies and I just ate my grilled chicken with hummus in a tortilla instead.

I am going to get down to my college weight if only for spite now!

(who says "spite" can't be a legitimate fitness motivator??)

I'm in! I tried to eat more healthy because I got in the habit of cooking and baking rich comfort foods for my ma but eating healthy somehow made me gain weight these past few weeks so today I'm off to buy a Fitbit to inspire me.

From what I read diet is more important than exercise. So I'm reading everything I can about nutrition. And I come across this video:

So basically if you're not eating organic you're eating toxic food. I try to buy organic but sometimes I don't. Now I probably will always buy organic.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365

For what it's worth, 1800 per day is WAY too low w/that much activity. You're going to wind up causing metabolic issues. When your body is starved for calories to match your activity level, it turns to muscle instead of fat. So while you may wind up losing weight on the scale, you're more likely to lose muscle resulting in higher body fat%.

BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year ) - 500 (calorie deficit). Then take your final answer and multiply it by 1.55.

This will give you a good goal of calories to shoot for that won't starve your body, will help regulate your metabolism, and give you healthy/consistent weight loss of 1lb per week. Now even though it may sound frustrating to wait 2-3 months to lose 10-12 lbs, you'll be far more likely to keep it off long term. As opposed to over-exercising, under-eating, and gaining weight back when you binge eat. Remember when you made the old fitness challenge MP? You tried to do the same thing with under-eating, and increasing your exercise by a ton. Yet, it obviously lead you right back here again. So my advice would be to keep a small calorie deficit, keep your exercise habits realistic/attainable of 3-5x per week (one workout each day), and be a bit more patient. That way you won't keep spinning your wheels over and over.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 1

I have 4 weeks until Miami Music Week.

Same problem, but need to gain a little weight in the right spots by adding muscle.

Though my program differs (protein and calorie loading) and is only 4 weeks, I'm in too!

• Like 2
If you want to find out if your food is toxic or clean here is a good link:

EWG's Food Scores

organic has become a marketing buzz word.....

Date a horticulturalist, they have the real dirt on this "organic" wave....

Sure stay away from pesticides and antibiotic ridden meats...yet organic is rather vague in its criterea from a farming stance, and has ppl thinking organic =healthy...and that is not necessarily true.

• Like 1
organic has become a marketing buzz word.....

Date a horticulturalist, they have the real dirt on this "organic" wave....

Sure stay away from pesticides and antibiotic ridden meats...yet organic is rather vague in its criterea from a farming stance, and has ppl thinking organic =healthy...and that is not necessarily true.

This spring I'm going to start a vegetable garden for the first time. I'm great at growing flowers, shrubs, & trees but this is my first time growing food so I'm not sure how much will grow. I have to eat. My guess is if it says USDA Organic it's probably less toxic than the other choices.

I really want to look amazing this summer. Long lean feminine dancer muscles and low body fat. My workouts are going to get more intense.

Edited by Summer3
  • Like 3
  • Author

Quick reflection on my day yesterday. Kept my eating strict - very few "empty" calories. Took a 20 minute walk but didn't squeeze in a workout. That will come tonight.

I only weigh in once a week (on Mondays) but I'm already optimistic about the needle going down.

Will keep my eating strict again and take at least a 30 minute (brisk) walk at lunch today! Then a workout tonight when I coach/practice with my daughter's b-ball team.

• Like 2
  • Author
For what it's worth, 1800 per day is WAY too low w/that much activity. You're going to wind up causing metabolic issues. When your body is starved for calories to match your activity level, it turns to muscle instead of fat. So while you may wind up losing weight on the scale, you're more likely to lose muscle resulting in higher body fat%.

BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year ) - 500 (calorie deficit). Then take your final answer and multiply it by 1.55.

This will give you a good goal of calories to shoot for that won't starve your body, will help regulate your metabolism, and give you healthy/consistent weight loss of 1lb per week. Now even though it may sound frustrating to wait 2-3 months to lose 10-12 lbs, you'll be far more likely to keep it off long term. As opposed to over-exercising, under-eating, and gaining weight back when you binge eat. Remember when you made the old fitness challenge MP? You tried to do the same thing with under-eating, and increasing your exercise by a ton. Yet, it obviously lead you right back here again. So my advice would be to keep a small calorie deficit, keep your exercise habits realistic/attainable of 3-5x per week (one workout each day), and be a bit more patient. That way you won't keep spinning your wheels over and over.

I have a VERY sedentary job, so keep that in mind.

I tell you what, if I don't see the results I want by March 31st, I will take your advice and increase my calories to match the formula. That would result in me eating another 400-500 calories per day, which is certainly doable.

I just feel like it would be easier to increase calories as opposed to starting too high and needing to cut back. And sometimes I do add a 6th snack/meal of 200 calories or so if I'm especially hungry, so that would bring me to within 200-300 calories of that formula anyway.

I have a VERY sedentary job, so keep that in mind.

I tell you what, if I don't see the results I want by March 31st, I will take your advice and increase my calories to match the formula. That would result in me eating another 400-500 calories per day, which is certainly doable.

I just feel like it would be easier to increase calories as opposed to starting too high and needing to cut back. And sometimes I do add a 6th snack/meal of 200 calories or so if I'm especially hungry, so that would bring me to within 200-300 calories of that formula anyway.

I just can't bring myself to count calories and do food journaling. I'm learning lots about nutrition and I know when I'm not eating clean. I don't want to get too neurotic about this stuff.

I'm 5'1 and 127 pounds (weighed myself this morning.)

If I lose three to five pounds of fat and gain at least three pounds of muscle I'll be in the best shape I can possible be in. I put on my bikini and I look fine. My body needs a little work. I have to remind myself not to get too into this stuff. I'm trying to become mentally healthy and physically healthy.

• Like 2

How accurate is this? Just curious, as I've talked with several people in different healthcare areas about daily calorie requirements and the number I was given was basically the final answer before multiplying it by the 1.55. It's about an 800 calorie difference.

fitnessfan365
How accurate is this? Just curious, as I've talked with several people in different healthcare areas about daily calorie requirements and the number I was given was basically the final answer before multiplying it by the 1.55. It's about an 800 calorie difference.

That was actually the male BMR formula.

Use this one SJS - 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years ) - 500

***If you work out at least 3x per week or more than multiply the final answer by 1.55. This the activity multiplier based on how much you exercise.

A common problem w/nutritionists and health care people when it comes to calorie count is that they're not taking exercise programs into account. If a woman was completely sedentary and didn't get any activity at all, 1200-1500 per day is understandable. But not when you're exercising regularly. Metabolism is the key factor. So if you're not eating enough to match up with your training regime, then your metabolism slows, holds onto food longer, relies on muscle for energy instead of body fat, etc.. I've lost count how many people I've come across who worked out for years with no results, simply because they weren't eating enough. I mean it sounds counter-intuitive to what we've been lead to believe. Eating more to lose. But it's true.

• Like 1

Here are good websites that I haunt daily for mind, body and spirit motivation and support. There are some great nutritional tips but don't watch too many videos in one day you'll explode from TMI overload.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgtp61tf9tYF7nG_gIQ94LQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy_cuwmA9gnABoe-YIT0tyQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGb34D3ThpmjLNn-FLv2_yQ

Hope it helps!

• Author

Summer, I think I'll check out some of those videos this weekend.

Yesterday was another good day. Odd as it sounds, I have more temptations dietwise during the work week because of all the pizza, cookies, fast food, etc., that people bring in.

I'm taking a short run this afternoon (2-3 miles at most) and my family will hit the gym on Friday night and Sunday morning.

What fun things are everyone doing this weekend to help keep a healthy lifestyle?

• Like 1