I am having this problem of not falling asleep. I do fall asleep but after 12 and it is too late if I need to wake up at 5 or 6 am. Even if I do wake up early it is not possible for me to sleep early. I exercise. I go to work and school. I dont drink coffee after 18 or 19. I have been taking some sleeping pills too. Those worked for 1st week. Not anymore. Best tips?

I am having this problem of not falling asleep. I do fall asleep but after 12 and it is too late if I need to wake up at 5 or 6 am. Even if I do wake up early it is not possible for me to sleep early. I exercise. I go to work and school. I dont drink coffee after 18 or 19. I have been taking some sleeping pills too. Those worked for 1st week. Not anymore. Best tips?

Here are my best tips, I'm a shift worker, learning to sleep on a dime is what I do.

- Caffeine has a half life of 7hrs in the body. That means you should cease drinking it at midday not 6 or 7pm. Any later than lunchtime and you'll have enough caffeine in your system to prevent you sleeping until well about midnight. Even green tea which has a minuscule amount of caffeine in it compared to coffee can keep you up at night.

- Alcohol is well known to disrupt sleep patterns. Avoid drinking it when you have a work day the next day.

- Exercise should be done at least 2hrs before you plan to sleep. Otherwise your body won't wind down again in time.

- Staring into backlight electronic screens disrupts the circadian rhythm by tricking the body into thinking that prolonged daylight hours exist. You actually produce stimulating hormones that keep the body active at the time you want to rest. Avoid getting on the computer, iPad/iphone after 7pm.

- If by sleeping pills you mean benzodiazepene (xanax) then yes, once you take them regularly you become accustomed to them and they no longer work. They are a terrible solution.

What you have to do is get your circadian rhythm back on it's natural pattern. Most people's natural pattern is for tiredness to settle in just after sunset and to feel awake again on sunrise. Funny how our bodies are meant to follow nature...:roll eyes:

- Start taking a daily supplement of valerian, hops and chamomile 4hrs before you want to sleep (this is a typical sleep herbal formula). It won't knock you out but it will help your body feel it's natural rhythm of winding down more regularly. Some people swear by passion flower tea as an alternative.

- Go to bed at the same time every single night regardless of whether you feel tired or not. Having this regular routine will cause your body to anticipate it and begin shutting down on cue.

- Make sure you eat your last meal/do exercise etc 2hrs before you want to sleep. Avoid caffeine after midday (includes chocolate\green tea\coffee\energy drinks).

- Go to bed by 9pm rather than 10 or 11pm, so that if you don't fall asleep right away you don't begin stressing and watching the clock frustrated that you are getting less sleep than you should.

- Do not sit in bed with a laptop computer or on your phone etc. Your body needs to associate your bed with sleep not wakeful and stimulating activities. Ensure your bedroom is dark enough to induce sleep and you are not attempting to sleep with the radio, music or TV playing. Although these noises might be comforting they prevent you from accessing deep REM sleep because your brain is paying attention to them.

• Like 4

Drink a cup of water and lemon in the early evening. Take a hot bath between 9 and 10pm. DO NOT use your computer or iphone once you have a bath and then get into bed. Read a book or just close your eyes do deep breathing. Try this routine for a week and make yourself stick to it, I bet you'll be asleep before midnight before you know it.

• Like 1

For me, I'm always sleepiest after a day that's involved a lot of outdoor time. Obviously that can be difficult if you're office based and live far from home (ie too far to walk) but I do think it's important to try for at least an hour of walking outdoors in daylight every day

Also, having a nice bedtime routine. A bedside lamp that's soft enough to be soothing, but strong enough to read by. I have a plug in calpol thing which contains various essential oils like lavender, eucalyptus and chamomile. It's supposed to be for babies (especially ones who are bunged up with the sniffles) but I think it's good for generally creating a sleep-inducing environment.

• Like 2

Yeah, I used melatonin and drank chamomile tea while caregiving when my sleep cycle was all jacked up and those seemed to help getting REM sleep at odd hours.

These days, it seems it takes nothing more than an old movie playing in the background and poof, out like a light, even if stressed or not feeling tired.

Oh, something else I learned while caregiving when sleeping lousy, that being keep the bed only for sleeping. If awake, don't lay there. Get out. That was probably a psychological thing but it worked for me. My exW slept like the dead so it didn't bother her if I got up.

• Like 1

That (sex as a sleeping pill) depends on brain chemistry IME. Yeah, my exW would be snoring to wake the dead after sex and I'd be up making a sandwich, grabbing a beer and watching some sports :D We're all different. If orgasm works as a sleeping pill for the OP, there are a lot worse ways of getting there. Heh.

Make sure your bedroom is cool and dark

Write a to-do list for the next day (Puts away all that subconcious planning)

Read a book before bed

When initiating sleep, stretch out limbs then relax muscles.

Take a couple of deep slow breaths from mid-section

Do meditative exercizes, breathing, concentrating on a certain part of your body. Just to stop thoughts and get into a relaxed state. Actually prepare for sleeping. Make the conditions optimal.

Other suggestions such as limited cafiene and alcohol are on point.

That (sex as a sleeping pill) depends on brain chemistry IME. Yeah, my exW would be snoring to wake the dead after sex and I'd be up making a sandwich, grabbing a beer and watching some sports :D We're all different. If orgasm works as a sleeping pill for the OP, there are a lot worse ways of getting there. Heh.

Yeah this doesn't work for everyone. I feel like running a marathon after sex. I cannot have sex anytime close to bedtime because I am awake and alert for hours afterwards and energised.

I've had sleep issues for fifteen years until I started seeing a feldenkrais practitioner. Feldenkrais is a mind-body therapy based on the theory of neuroplasticity(the brain is not in a fixed state of being and can change). So, at the moment your brain is wired to keep you up at night. But even after a few sessions of this therapy, it will begin to rewire your brain into a more conducive state to sleep. I've been going to feldenkrais sessions for about a year now and I've gone from not sleeping at all to seven hours of undisturbed sleep. It involves lying on a therapy table, while the therapist manipulates your body, no massage, just body movements. Feldenkrais is a popular alternative therapy in the U.S. and UK so you won't have any trouble finding a therapist. Be sure you look for someone with at least ten years experience. Feldenkrais is also offered in a group setting, similar to a yoga class.

I also take Chinese herbal medicine. Chinese date seed(zizyphus) has been effective for my sleep also. You can buy it online as a tea or capsule/pill. Or even better, if you can see a Chinese medicine practitioner for customised treatment.

LivingWaterPlease

Another herb that works great is Passionflower, which is also a muscle relaxer. Valerian root powder and Passionflower together make a great sleep tonic. Valium is made from Valerian root but Valerian root is non addictive.

Melatonin also is very good and you can get a controlled release version of it.

Lavender essential oil is excellent, too.

Sex works pretty well for me.

yes but does that mean you fall asleep before or during? :p

I've found that deeming lights and aroma therepy works. Usually meditation music or sound waves ease the body into rest.

On rare occassions a warm glass of milk does the trick.

Oh...The good old days of Bob Ross....After about a minute you would be unconscious...:laugh:

TFY

Thanks for that. I woke up this morning at 7.15am and was all set to clean the flat. Then foolishly, I logged on Loveshack. I decided to watch the Bob Ross clip out of curiosity because my brother used to often mention him.

I woke up 10 minutes ago (9.35am our time).

• Like 1