Daisy-oliviaWentcher

I've been a vegan for a few months and just wanted to hear vegan testimonies of anyone out there who can share how their life has changed with vegan lifestyle change.

My stomach use to be in knots. It was so sore. And I use to have caffeine and sugar which would make my stomach hurt even more. But since going vegan, I've noticed I'm not so bloated, my stomach isn't so sore and I poop like three times a day!

I know there are lots of people that believe that a vegan diet is unhealthy but I just want someone to share their personal anecdotes so that I know I'm on the right track

• Like 2

I've been vegan for decades.

My weight is normal without effort (I don't exercise much, although I want to start). I rarely get sick. People think I look significantly younger than I am. My doctor thinks veganism is great and encourages it. And best of all: I'm living in line with my ethics, which is why I became vegan.

I think there are some health vegans on here who became vegan in order to work on some health issues. If you're interested, Dr. McDougall has an online forum where there are mostly health vegans and they have some amazing stories of weight loss and healing themselves from some diseases by changing their diet - he promotes a low-fat anti-inflammatory diet. I don't limit fats myself.

• Like 1

I know you asked for vegans, but I just wanted to say that lots of us non-vegans don't believe that a vegan diet is necessarily unhealthy either. Sure there are some people who eat an unhealthy vegan diet by not taking in enough vegetable protein or trying to subsist entirely on juice, but similarly there are lots of people who eat unhealthy omnivorous diets (case in point: McDs).

So, if it's working for you, keep it up! As long as you are getting balanced nutrition and your doctor approves, it doesn't matter what others think or say.

• Like 1

Congrats on your choice. Here are a few resources to help you with your transition:

• Eat for Health - Joel Fuhrman, MD (a two-book series with lots of practical information)
  • John A. McDougall, MD. A great website with lots of information (including recipes, tips, and practical information).
  • PAN Vegan Pledge. This website is geared to those in their first thirty days trying a vegan diet.

Regarding whether it's a healthy choice, start with:

• The China Study - Colin Campbell, PhD
  • If you don't like to read, you can watch the DVD, Forks over Knives.

To address your question in the OP, I've always been very healthy and athletic, but since I became vegan six years ago, I feel absolutely AMAZING and so energized. It was a great choice for me. All the best with your journey.:)

• Like 1

If you don't like to read, you can watch the DVD, Forks over Knives.

That movie was very inspiring!

If you want to know more about animal agriculture, you can watch Earthlings - it's probably on Youtube for free, or it's on pay sites and DVDs.

Yes, it was. The epidemiological studies on which that DVD is based are even more compelling.

I haven't seen Earthlings. But I did see COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret. It was eye-opening in terms of the environmental impact. Also, just a really well-done documentary.

I'll try to watch Earthlings over the holidays.

Edited by angel.eyes

You should also check to see if there are any vegetarian/vegan organizations or meet-up groups in your area. I used to attend vegan potlucks and it was a good place to exchange recipes and hear about veg friendly restaurants and so on in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Was vegan at home/vegetarian on the road for 2 years. Loved it. Felt great. Looked great. Lots of energy.

I just like the taste of meat too damn much. And it was a total pain in the ass when traveling.

Michelle ma Belle

I've flip flopped between vegan and vegetarian for a little while now and I also do a lot of juicing as well. I have noticed a considerable and significant difference in how I feel, and for the better. No question about it.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a HUGE believer in the vegan diet, but as a guy I feel like I'd lose way more muscle mass on such a diet than I'd be comfortable with. That's why I don't go Vegan. Women are lucky they don't have to worry about muscle mass the same way guys do.

as a guy I feel like I'd lose way more muscle mass on such a diet than I'd be comfortable with.

Look up vegan bodybuilding - it's totally possible to be vegan and maintain/build muscle mass :)

Look up vegan bodybuilding - it's totally possible to be vegan and maintain/build muscle mass :)

Haha OK. I'm hyper skeptical though.