do you need to weight lift?

so i always hear how weights increase metabolism and etc. and i do lift very light weights 3x per week. but i always end up with aches and pains in my shoulders a day after my weights class, and it can last until my next session. it makes me wonder if i even need weights in my life. since a lot of people don't even bother with exercise, perhaps weights aren't needed either??

What exactly is a 'weights class'? If you're experiencing chronic pain from lifting weights it means you're doing something wrong. Is this some LA fitness type pump class? If so, learn to lift weights properly and learn basic technique of major lifts and see how that works for you.

• Like 3

Lifting weights = increased muscle mass. If your bodyfat is low enough, this gives you the appearnance of being "toned" (hate that word).

The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolic rate. The reason people gain weight as they get older even if they don't eat more, is becuase of the natural loss of muscle that occurs. Anything you can do to reverse or prevent that loss is a win.

Weight lifting also helps grow/preserve bone. If you are female, this is a huge benefit.

As the poster above said, put down the pink dumbbells, learn correct form, and lift heavy (for you).

• Like 3
  • Author
What exactly is a 'weights class'? If you're experiencing chronic pain from lifting weights it means you're doing something wrong. Is this some LA fitness type pump class? If so, learn to lift weights properly and learn basic technique of major lifts and see how that works for you.

it's not LA Fitness, but it is a fitness class w/weight lifting. and i would assume they teach the correct lifting methods in these classes. but something must be going wrong, or maybe my weights are too heavy.

it's not LA Fitness, but it is a fitness class w/weight lifting. and i would assume they teach the correct lifting methods in these classes. but something must be going wrong, or maybe my weights are too heavy.

Just because the gym operates a fitness class with weights does not mean in any way, shape or form that they teach correct lifting technique. Weigh lifting is a very complex and time consuming affair to learn, no matter what sub division you are into. I've competed in powerlifting for about 4 years now, and let me tell you, even professional 300+ lb pro powerlifters ALL need work on their technique. A run of the mill gym's fitness class is NOT the place to learn how to lift weights. For inexperienced lifters, trying to lift weights while you are fatigued from all the fitness is a recipe for poor technique. Pain = bad and I suggest you go to a strength coach, or a PT with a good reputation to learn how to lift weights. Save your cardio and condition work for a time separate to your weight lifting.

• Like 1

It took my a while to modify various weightlifting routines to my needs. body, and injuries. I now do a routine tailor made to me.

For Example due to back issues I can't back squat or straight deadlift. Instead I found that I can to Trap (hex) deadlifts and Bulgarian split squats. Another - regular sit ups and leg lifts hurt - but planks and hanging leg lifts don't hurt my back.

Weightlifting - even just body weight stuff - is very beneficial especially as you get older. I injured my knee recently and having the strength (split squats) to get up and down on one leg was so helpful. After 35 years old or so - you begin to loose muscle and bone mass, and lifting helps fight this loss.

If you are hurting - you need to study yourself, the movement, figure out if your doing it right, lighten up, or modify with another substitute lift.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 2
  • Author
Just because the gym operates a fitness class with weights does not mean in any way, shape or form that they teach correct lifting technique. Weigh lifting is a very complex and time consuming affair to learn, no matter what sub division you are into. I've competed in powerlifting for about 4 years now, and let me tell you, even professional 300+ lb pro powerlifters ALL need work on their technique. A run of the mill gym's fitness class is NOT the place to learn how to lift weights. For inexperienced lifters, trying to lift weights while you are fatigued from all the fitness is a recipe for poor technique. Pain = bad and I suggest you go to a strength coach, or a PT with a good reputation to learn how to lift weights. Save your cardio and condition work for a time separate to your weight lifting.

i don't know... that's like saying a swim instructor at the YMCA isn't teaching you right because they aren't a private swim instructor. just because someone teaches at a popular gym it doesn't mean they aren't teaching the right methods. but in any event i'm going to have to switch my weight routine in some way to avoid shoulder pain the day after. i was just inclined to stop altogether, but as a female that might not be a great idea.

i don't know... that's like saying a swim instructor at the YMCA isn't teaching you right because they aren't a private swim instructor. just because someone teaches at a popular gym it doesn't mean they aren't teaching the right methods. but in any event i'm going to have to switch my weight routine in some way to avoid shoulder pain the day after. i was just inclined to stop altogether, but as a female that might not be a great idea.

Is it joint pain or just sore muscles?

Huge difference.

My shoulders have always been prone to joint pain from lifting normal objects as well as weights.

I have to lift very carefully to avoid the wrong motion that irritates the joint.

You may have a similar problem?

And IMO, no... weights, for women, are completely unnecessary. Yoga and proper diet produces the hottest female bodies. :love:

• Like 1
  • Author
Experiencing pain post workout means you are doing something right. Have you never heard the phrase, "no pain, no gain"? Any workout that did not make you sore, especially as a relative neophyte to exercising, is not a worthy workout, IMO.

i have heard this.. that when your muscles are tired you are actually improving the muscle and working it. but how to differentiate between a muscle being sore from working out, or if it's hurting because of the exercise and potentially doing it wrong. i think with weights it's hard(er) to tell??

Lifting weights = increased muscle mass. If your bodyfat is low enough, this gives you the appearnance of being "toned" (hate that word).

The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolic rate. The reason people gain weight as they get older even if they don't eat more, is becuase of the natural loss of muscle that occurs. Anything you can do to reverse or prevent that loss is a win.

Weight lifting also helps grow/preserve bone. If you are female, this is a huge benefit.

As the poster above said, put down the pink dumbbells, learn correct form, and lift heavy (for you).

Perfect ^^

That's why I watch people in their 20's who think they can coast into aging with their skinny little bodies w/o any effort get sorely disappointed.

We need to work out, our bodies were designed for that.

With industrialization and stuff we no longer have to work in fields, farm, etc. We barely do work that requires physical effort now a days - but we need it.

One of my magazines, years ago, did an article about a New Yorker who took some days off to live an "Amish" lifestyle. They took a before/after pic. Before she was thin, pale. After she was "thicker" but better skin complexion, not fat, but "fit". She gained muscle and was healthier.

Believe it or not, lifting weights isn't the only way to gain strength...Yoga, Pilates, etc, are good stuff too.

Like any workout, can't do too much initially...you have to gradually build up strength and resistance. Also, you have to allow rest between workouts. If you're working too hard, although you're resting, you have torn too much. When we work out, we tear muscle and between rest is when it repairs. If you tear too much, even though you rest, you won't have a full recovery next time you do your sets - especially if you didn't build up into it.

Also, you need stuff like protein to help your muscles repair. No, I don't do all those weird supplements and stuff I like have a banana shake or something - but I think I need to add a little more "ump" into my post workout shakes.

Another incentive to build muscle? When you sleep, guess what? All that muscle is still helping you burn fat and keep your metabolism working.

You don't have to lift and build muscle and look like a dude...just enough to get toned - that's what I strive for. I don't wanna look like a Serena Williams, that's a bit much for me.

• Like 1

Quite the contrary unfortunately. Think of it this way. The gym is there to make money. Instructors and PTs pay a cut to the gym for each client they train, or however the terms of the gym dictate their payment situation. More often than not, the PT's in popular gyms are not qualified. By qualified, I mean they don't have an in depth understanding of what they're getting their clients to do. They may have a "qualification" but doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. Why would the gym pay more for qualified and experienced PTs when the average gym goer can't tell the difference between a good one and a bad one? Most popular gyms do not invest in great PT's, because most great trainers and coaches are all out doing their own thing. If you go and train at EliteFTS for example, the coaches there have been through the ringer, competed for years in their sports, and provide real information and coaching for their clients; an experience you will never find in most mainstream fitness places.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

I'm not a personal trainer or any other type of so called expert...But I have been in this game for a very long time and have gained a lot of experience along the way...

Women who weight train properly look better and gain a better level of fitness than just about any other form...Its important to have good cardiovascular health, but just yoga, calisthenics, spinning, whatever, while better than nothing wont give you the look and the benefits of a truly strong body...

IMO, a woman like this has the perfect body...Balanced...Strong...and sexy as hell...

The benefits of a strong body are well documented...Curiously, I see women making the same stupid mistakes that have been made since the beginning of time...They do isolation type of movements...These are great for advanced bodybuiulders that are looking to fine tune, but the basics still apply...Lift heavy and maintain good form...Look to the core movements..

You want a nice ass and legs? Do some squats..Jogging and running wont do it,...

As for the pain, if you are doing it right, you may encounter some soreness, but actual pain....no...People do confuse the two though...Also, bear in mind that certain maladies or dietary deficiencies will make it impossible to achieve good results...If you want to do this right..See a doctor and get a blood test..Then educate yourself....I'd say 75% of people in typical gyms are pretty much wasting their time...I dont understand it...They do stuff thats a total waste of time and month after month, year after year...they go nowhere and look the same...

TFY

• Like 1

I know that you know the gym. Your advice on this forum for guys has been excellent.

But... don't you feel that women's bodies have different requirements/goals than we do?

Here is a befor and after picture of squats amd what they do to a woman's body:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/ea/4e/48ea4edfc2108162c56a5c2c15fd3420.jpg

IMO, her body was better before doing the squats, which make her ass gross.

Intense yoga and careful food intake nicely tones the whole body while not making anything overly huge, resulting in bodies that look more like this:

http://cs323524.vk.me/v323524674/1d7e/Bw0uHtDrbSY.jpg

Do you really find those weird, overly huge asses more attractive than the body image directly above this sentence?

I'm with you on those isolation mistakes. It's also pretty laughable when someone has fat in a spot and works out that one spot only thinking it will shrink.

But... most women don't want to be stocky (i hope), so it seems they should stick with the intense yoga/diet approach to achieve the body in the second pic vs that squat body in the first.

unless they have an oddly flat area they want to change.

I'm not a personal trainer or any other type of so called expert...But I have been in this game for a very long time and have gained a lot of experience along the way...

Women who weight train properly look better and gain a better level of fitness than just about any other form...Its important to have good cardiovascular health, but just yoga, calisthenics, spinning, whatever, while better than nothing wont give you the look and the benefits of a truly strong body...

IMO, a woman like this has the perfect body...Balanced...Strong...and sexy as hell...

The benefits of a strong body are well documented...Curiously, I see women making the same stupid mistakes that have been made since the beginning of time...They do isolation type of movements...These are great for advanced bodybuiulders that are looking to fine tune, but the basics still apply...Lift heavy and maintain good form...Look to the core movements..

You want a nice ass and legs? Do some squats..Jogging and running wont do it,...

As for the pain, if you are doing it right, you may encounter some soreness, but actual pain....no...People do confuse the two though...Also, bear in mind that certain maladies or dietary deficiencies will make it impossible to achieve good results...If you want to do this right..See a doctor and get a blood test..Then educate yourself....I'd say 75% of people in typical gyms are pretty much wasting their time...I dont understand it...They do stuff thats a total waste of time and month after month, year after year...they go nowhere and look the same...

TFY

• Like 2
I know that you know the gym. Your advice on this forum for guys has been excellent.

But... don't you feel that women's bodies have different requirements/goals than we do?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/ea/4e/48ea4edfc2108162c56a5c2c15fd3420.jpg

Intense yoga and careful food intake nicely tones the whole body while not making anything overly huge, resulting in bodies that look more like this:

Do you really find those weird, overly huge asses more attractive than the body image directly above this sentence?

I'm with you on those isolation mistakes. It's also pretty laughable when someone has fat in a spot and works out that one spot only thinking it will shrink.

But... most women don't want to be stocky (i hope), so it seems they should stick with the intense yoga/diet approach to achieve the body in the second pic vs that squat body in the first.

unless they have an oddly flat area they want to change.

Women have a fraction of the testosterone that men have, and most men can't build muscle very easily. If a woman is concerned with gaining too much muscle that is ridiculous; it simply doesn't happen. Women like Serena Williams which another poster mentioned are a) part of the genetic elite, b) on or have been on performance enhancing drugs, and c) dedicate significant amounts of energy into diet and whatever training they do. Most women have a hard time building any significant amount of muscle. Nobody should be afraid of doing hard work in the gym unless injury prevents them from doing so.

• Like 5

I do heavy squats and deadlifts and don't have a "weirdly, overly huge" ass. I think glute development depends on multiple factors, one of which is how much glute development a woman had to start with.

As for women having different needs from men, I think this is one of the biggest myths and what leads to women burning out on high-rep-low-weight that do nothing to change her shape. With the possible exception of direct trap training women should train just like men, imo.

• Like 3
I do heavy squats and deadlifts and don't have a "weirdly, overly huge" ass. I think glute development depends on multiple factors, one of which is how much glute development a woman had to start with.

As for women having different needs from men, I think this is one of the biggest myths and what leads to women burning out on high-rep-low-weight that do nothing to change her shape. With the possible exception of direct trap training women should train just like men, imo.

But a vast majority of women aren't trying to change their shape.

They are trying to reduce size/weight.

Heavy lifting doesn't help that at all.

thefooloftheyear

Yep........

TFY

MuddyFootprints

Not only does strength training improve muscle and strength, it improves bone mass. Besides building the perfect figure, it's just something women need to do. Honestly, if you are only capable of working with a can of soup, do it.

• Like 1
But a vast majority of women aren't trying to change their shape.

They are trying to reduce size/weight.

Heavy lifting doesn't help that at all.

Sure it does.

Because muscle is far denser than fat, women look smaller when they up the percentage of muscle.

Plus, when you lift heavy you increase muscle mass, which speeds metabolism, which means you dont have to go into as big of a caloric deficit to achieve weight loss.

And don't minimize the benefits of changing shape -- developing wider shoulders to balance out large hips (for instance) can bring a formerly "bottom heavy" body into balance. Women are often complaining that *this* is too big or *that* is too small - weight lifting is a great way to help correct those issues.

Yes, there are women who lift and look like they lift -- they have muscle definition that is easy to see. And perhaps this is not the look you like. But there are also women who lift who you might not perceive that way -- their bodies are tight and firm but there is no visible muscle mass. Many women would be pretty happy with this body.

Edited by introverted1
Sure it does.

Because muscle is far denser than fat, women look smaller when they up the percentage of muscle.

No they don't. Measure with a tailor's tape and they got stockier/bigger/wider. Exactly the opposite of what the average woman is trying to achieve.

Plus, when you lift heavy you increase muscle mass, which speeds metabolism, which means you dont have to go into as big of a caloric deficit to achieve weight loss.

And at the same time dramatically increases appetite.

And don't minimize the benefits of changing shape -- developing wider shoulders to balance out large hips (for instance) can bring a formerly "bottom heavy" body into balance. Women are often complaining that *this* is too big or *that* is too small - weight lifting is a great way to help correct those issues.

Correct problem areas by making the rest bigger? What kind of strategy is that? That's exactly what I'm saying. Weights make people bigger, which is definitely not what most women are trying to achieve. Definitely a bad approach.

Yes, there are women who lift and look like they lift -- they have muscle definition that is easy to see. And perhaps this is not the look you like. But there are also women who lift who you might not perceive that way -- their bodies are tight and firm but there is no visible muscle mass. Many women would be pretty happy with this body.

And answering the last paragraph, yes... there are naturally thin women who lift to achieve a perfect body. However, the vast majority of women have problem areas in thighs, butt, stomach. They are trying to reduce these areas.

Doing squats to reduce girth in the lower half is like fasting to gain weight. Exactly the opposite and exactly wrong.

The vast majority of women are trying to lose size/weight. Weight lifting is precisely the wrong way to do it, as it builds mass.

Proper diet, also low in calories, and non bulking workouts like yoga are the secret to 99% of all women getting the body they are after.

Building more mass via heavy weight training is exactly the opposite of what they should be doing.

Edited by loveweary11
And answering the last paragraph, yes... there are naturally thin women who lift to achieve a perfect body. However, the vast majority of women have problem areas in thighs, butt, stomach. They are trying to reduce these areas.

Doing squats to reduce girth in the lower half is like fasting to gain weight. Exactly the opposite and exactly wrong.

The vast majority of women are trying to lose size/weight. Weight lifting is precisely the wrong way to do it, as it builds mass.

Proper diet, also low in calories, and non bulking workouts like yoga are the secret to 99% of all women getting the body they are after.

Building more mass via heavy weight training is exactly the opposite of what they should be doing.

The average woman is terrified that picking up a dumbbell will transform them into Iris Kyle. Not only is that assumption ignorant, it's unwarranted. I don't think you're really aware on how hard it is for the average woman to build any noticeable musculature. You're also forgetting that muscle gain is a function of how much you are eating as well. You're also forgetting that just because you're llifting weights doesn't mean you've stimulated growth, and if you train in a caloric deficit likely you will gain a limited amount to a non existant amount of muscle, unless you are a total beginner. If a woman is happy with a physique devoid of muscle, yoga's right up their alley. I'll take a girl with a physique like Jamie Eason's or Marissa Rivero's any day of the week.

I usually like your posts, but you're so way off here. A woman who is lifting weights naturally, without the use of testosterone supplements or steroids, is not going to put on a large amount of mass, period. Weight lifting, combined with the right diet, will help a woman lose weight and gain enough muscle to achieve a more fit look...precisely the look most guys are attracted to. Not only this, but they will combat the effects of aging, and feel better overall. All of the hot chicks in my gym are picking up iron. Bar none.

If you think I am full of crap, check out pics and videos of Kim Valentine. She is a record holding power lifter that weighs around 100 lbs. If you see pics of her when she is not lifting, you would never know how strong she is, but she is stronger than most guys I know that are double her size.

This. Also look at Ewa Januszkiewicz, 400lb deadlifter at 138lb and sexy as hell.

T I don't think you're really aware on how hard it is for the average woman to build any noticeable musculature.

That's true. No matter how much I hit the weights or how heavy I go I only get a small amount of muscle. In order to get those "bodybuilder" muscles you have to be hard core into the lifestyle which is boring as hell. Watching everything you eat,measuring, macros, it's an insane waste of time.

My fitness plan:

Eat healthy, exercise, meditate and realize life is always changing.

• Like 1

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube. Check if you're doing the excercises right. Also soreness is a good sign that you're working your muscles correctly. Just make sure you are taking rest days and eating healthy.

• Like 1