overeating on vacay but still working out

just curious from those who may know...

i went on vacay for the past two weeks and did not adhere to any diet at all. i was all into sweets and carbs and i tried pizza and ice cream, and just ...ugh, i feel awful.

but, i did manage to work out every day for about 20-30 minutes.

does that offset the damage? is that how it works? or does overeating/overindulging still catch up with you?

i maintain a strict exercise/diet routine at home and got back into it right away

fitnessfan365

You say that you workout regularly at home. So you're going to be relatively fit and not overweight. This means that you're going to burn less calories during exercise than someone who's heavier. With that said, you'd probably burn 200-300 calories max in 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise. Comparing that to thousands of calories per day of junk food doesn't come close.

However, how active were you on the trip in general? If you were always walking, taking stairs when possible, etc that could definitely add to the calorie burn. When my GF and I were in Chicago, we walked EVERYWHERE averaging 10-12 miles per day. Plus we'd always take stairs instead of elevators and got in a few actual workouts too. Plus even though we ate a lot of junk food, we'd get the smallest sizes, split things, etc.. So with all the activity, I actually managed to maintain a small calorie deficit under maintenance every day. When I came home I actually lost three pounds..LOL

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Man who cares. It's VACATION. You're supposed to relax and do things differently than you do at home. You're supposed to eat too much and spend too much and drink too much and be, in general, more loose, free, and exciting than you normally are.

I hope you had fun.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

C'mon, OP... it's a vacation... I'm not saying you should eat 3 tubs of ice cream a day, but I think you should enjoy your vacation and even if you gain a little bit, if you go back to a normal healthy routine after you come back from vacay, you should be able to maintain a healthy weight after that.

• Like 3

I think doing some working outs - movement, flexibility, cardio or strength is a good idea during a long vacation. Keep the body going.

As for indulging - over eating and drinking - well it is a vacation. You can starve at your desk back at the office when you get home....wait who brought the cookies into the office kitchen?! ....ugh!

• Like 2
fitnessfan365

I still say the best way to keep bad eating in check on vacation is to simply embrace "Urban Hiking".

Recently when my GF and I were in San Francisco, we did the same thing as we did in Chicago. No cabs/Uber and we walked EVERYWHERE. It was even more tiring than Chicago because of how many STEEP hills there are there. I mean we're talking inclines of up to 50%. So ten plus miles per day walking with those thrown in, and always taking stairs when able does the trick.

thefooloftheyear

I'm no expert here, but have been training for decades...

I can share this "experiment" I did over the holidays, if it helps..

I train hard and heavy 6 times a week..I eat a lot, all clean and I rarely cheat, but I am a pretty big guy...Well, just before Thanksgiving to the end of the year, I went off diet...Ate whatever and as much of it that I wanted..During that time, I ate all sorts of junk that you see around the Holidays...and then some...I know that on some of these days, I consumed well over 10,000 cals..and hundreds of grams of fat/sugars..

So I weighed myself in the morning when I started...221.7....At the end of the"experiment".....222.5...Not even a full pound and I looked the same..

I still trained the same way and all my daily habits are the same...I just think when your body is fit and strong, it matters less than the average person..Maybe no two are the same, but I believe this to generally be true..

I say just eat what you want and enjoy yourself!

TFY

• Like 1