Eating disorder or addiction?

I have a problem controlling myself around dairy, specifically ice cream and cheese. Over the past year it's spiraled out of control and I've gained a lot of weight. It's like the more I tell myself I have a problem the worse it gets. This s points to an eating disorder. However, I can remember way back, long before I even realized I had a problem, I was doing things like eating 4-5 bowls of cereal in one sitting, taking multiple trips to the fridge to grab hand-fulls of shredded cheese, eating entire pizzas, boxes of mac & cheese, containers of ice cream, you name it. Lately, I've even been making spur of the moment trips to the grocery store for ice cream and or blocks of cheese. This points to addiction.

A lot of health experts will advise you to just eat problem foods in moderation but I really don't think I can handle moderation.

I've read that dairy can be addicting due to a natural chemical (casomophin) found in cow's milk and that chemical is super concentrated in ice cream and cheese..which makes perfect sense to me because I definitely get a dopamine rush. Maybe I'm exceptionally sensitive to it.

I'm convinced that I need to eliminate dairy completely. Is there anyone else out there who feels the same way?

Not about dairy (I don't eat it), but I shouldn't have a bag of chips in front of me or I'll probably eat the whole thing - love the salty and crunchy.

Learn about the dairy industry. On every commercial farm (including organic and so-called "humane" farms) babies are permanently taken away from their mothers by force on the day of or within days of birth. This is very painful for both, and they cry and search for each other, for weeks or months. Nature programmed these mammals to want to care for their young. In nature females may stay with their mothers through adulthood. This is all so that humans can steal the milk meant for the babies. Females replace their mothers in a cycle of forced insemination, birthing, and having their babies stolen each year. Males usually become veal calves. When the females are "spent" after a few years (about a fifth of their natural life), they become hamburger. Watch some video. It may cure you of the addiction.

Edited by lollipopspot
  • Author
Not about dairy (I don't eat it), but I shouldn't have a bag of chips in front of me or I'll probably eat the whole thing - love the salty and crunchy.

Learn about the dairy industry. On every commercial farm (including organic and so-called "humane" farms) babies are permanently taken away from their mothers by force on the day of or within days of birth. This is very painful for both, and they cry and search for each other, for weeks or months. Nature programmed these mammals to want to care for their young. In nature females may stay with their mothers through adulthood. This is all so that humans can steal the milk meant for the babies. Females replace their mothers in a cycle of forced insemination, birthing, and having their babies stolen each year. Males usually become veal calves. When the females are "spent" after a few years (about a fifth of their natural life), they become hamburger. Watch some video. It may cure you of the addiction.

It just flat out sucks. I'll never be vegetarian but I have been eating less meat and buying grassfed most of the time.

As for the dairy industry, this definitely helps

While we are eating, there is a hormone called leptin, which is released into the bloodstream. It lets us know when we have eaten enough ie:we feel full. Some people's bodies don't release enough of this hormone, so when they eat they never feel full and as a result, continue to eat.

It would be a good idea to get checked out by a doctor.

First, there is a line of thinking that considers an eating disorder a type of addiction.

Two, I don't think moderation works if you are truly addicted because an addictive substance makes you want more and more. No one advocates for an alcoholic to practice moderation. If you are familiar with Suboxone therapy, you can see that moderation doesn't work.